View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #379
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Glenn Anderson also played one season at the University of Denver.

As for my pick, Slap, by being the first to take a backup goalie, scared me into selecting the netminder I've been holding out so long on. I'll take G - Grant Fuhr (Oilers/Maple Leafs/Sabres/Blues).

The amazingly quick, acrobatic and fun to watch Fuhr is the perfect goalie for the run and gun style my team is going to play. Just like in Edmonton he is going to be called upon to make a lot of tough saves, but just like in Edmonton he'll receive a ton of goal support.

He was a first round pick of Edmonton in 1981 and was also selected by the MLB San Diego Padres as a catcher.

Fuhr set (and holds) the NHL record for points by a goaltender in 1983-'84 with 14.

In 1995-'96 Fuhr set the single season record for games played in a season (79) and consecuvtive games played in a season (76).

Fuhr won 5 Stanley Cups with the Oilers, though he was the main postseason goalie for 4 of those teams with Bill Ranford getting the call in 1990.

He played in the 2003 Heritage Classic MegaStars game (played outdoors at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium in front of 57,000 fans) and helped shutout the Canadiens. Fuhr made some incredible saves in the game and many thought he looked like he could still play in the NHL at 41 years old.

Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote