View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 12:00 AM   #209
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
I will select "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, LF Athletics/Naps/White Sox

One of the great players of his generation, Jackson is more famous for being one of the players banned for life after the fallout from the "Black Sox" scandal. Chicago players, in cahoots with gamblers and in spite of tightwad owner Charlie Comisky, threw the 1919 World Series to the Cincinnati Reds. While they were cleared of all charges in court, those involved were kicked out of baseball by then commissioner Kenesaw "Mountain" Landis.
Another great pick.

Jackson was aware of what was going on in 1919, but he clearly wasn't participating. Jackson's .375 average led the Sox in the Series. He also led the team in runs scored (5) and RBI (6) and he hit Chicago's only home run.

The superb film Eight Men Out depict Jackson as a guileless country boy who was intimidated by Chick Gandil and the other conspirators and it rings true given his performance on the field.

Quote:
"I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest hitter I had ever seen, the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter." - Babe Ruth
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote