The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   OT: Game of Thrones Major Spoiler Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=97738)

Kaylore 04-13-2011 01:12 PM

OT: Game of Thrones Major Spoiler Thread

Has anyone read the books? I saw the teaser clip for the new HBO mini-series and haven't read a book in many months and wanted to get back to reading.

The link is here
http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones?cmpid=ABC794

I've heard it's one of the most well-written fantasy series out there. I like Sean Bean too, even if he's looking chubby in this.

Quoydogs 04-13-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3156643)
Has anyone read the books? I saw the teaser clip for the new HBO mini-series and haven't read a book in many months and wanted to get back to reading.

The link is here

I've heard it's one of the most well-written fantasy series out there. I like Sean Bean too, even if he's looking chubby in this.

I watched the teaser looks pretty good. I think it starts next Sunday.

Chris 04-13-2011 01:22 PM

My bro and I were wondering about this show. Looks interesting. Normally I'd pass this off as some Xena Warrior Princess C grade schlock... but it's HBO...

lostknight 04-13-2011 01:33 PM

I've read the book. Martin was one of the big three that ruled fantasy for a while - Jordan, Goodkind and Martin. Martin hit writers block, and there hasn't been a book in this series in five years or so. Goodkind retired from Fantasy, Jordan died.

Word of warning, the Martin books are not happy books. They make the Soprano's look like the Mickey Mouse club.

Quoydogs 04-13-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostknight (Post 3156655)
I've read the book. Martin was one of the big three that ruled fantasy for a while - Jordan, Goodkind and Martin. Martin hit writers block, and there hasn't been a book in this series in five years or so. Goodkind retired from Fantasy, Jordan died.

Word of warning, the Martin books are not happy books. They make the Soprano's look like the Mickey Mouse club.

See this I like

GoHAM 04-13-2011 01:34 PM

Easily one of my favorite book series.

So good in fact I am wary of watching the HBO series in case it ruins the books in some way.

Drunk Monkey 04-13-2011 01:36 PM

I think I am going to switch back to HBO for this. Was going to wait until the summer for True Blood and Entourage but this has peaked my interest. I like the HBO / Showtime series so much more then the censored channels.

Obushma 04-13-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

The link is here

I've read what he's completed in the series, they are some of the best fiction books i've read. They are very adult themed though Kaylore, rape, murder, explecit sex, throughout the books.

Dendave 04-13-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWYO (Post 3156657)
Easily one of my favorite book series.

So good in fact I am wary of watching the HBO series in case it ruins the books in some way.

Agree, but added HBO today to watch

Man-Goblin 04-13-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obushma (Post 3156662)
I've read what he's completed in the series, they are some of the best fiction books i've read. They are very adult themed though Kaylore, rape, murder, explecit sex, throughout the books.

*setting DVR*

mkporter 04-13-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

The link is here

I've read 'em. If you are at all a fantasy fan, they are a must read. It is a little frustrating that he kinda stalled out for a while, but the next book is due in July, so that is the good news. The storyline and world he has created are very well fleshed out and detailed, and the character arcs intersect in clever and surprising ways.

The style of the books is interesting as well. Each chapter follows one character, so sometimes you get really into what's going on with one character, but you don't get back to their story for several chapters. Other times, you get to see the same event from several different perspectives, gaining a more complete picture. It is a pretty complex series, and remembering all of the characters can be challenging at times. Overall, they are engrossing books, and I'm excited to see what they do with the series.

Chris 04-13-2011 02:11 PM

So.... what is this about?

elsid13 04-13-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 3156693)
So.... what is this about?

Think very adult mafia style power contest set in middle ages fantasy setting. The books were extremely interesting, but Martin lost his way toward the end and never complete the epic series he started.

lostknight 04-13-2011 02:32 PM

Martin kind of wrote himself in a corner (by his own admission). I would guess that the HBO contract included some varient of "you must finish the books" which is why he is getting back to it by now.

He's a great writer - probably the most natural writer of the old big three. I do have to say that the new generation of fantasy writers - In particular Patrick Rothfuss's unbeliavably great series The Name of the Wind, and Brandon Sanderson (who took over the Wheel of Time books from Jordan) are better authors I think then any of the three.

(If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, you need to. It's Tolkein and C.S. Lewis good).

elsid13 04-13-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostknight (Post 3156718)
Martin kind of wrote himself in a corner (by his own admission). I would guess that the HBO contract included some varient of "you must finish the books" which is why he is getting back to it by now.

He's a great writer - probably the most natural writer of the old big three. I do have to say that the new generation of fantasy writers - In particular Patrick Rothfuss's unbeliavably great series The Name of the Wind, and Brandon Sanderson (who took over the Wheel of Time books from Jordan) are better authors I think then any of the three.

(If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, you need to. It's Tolkein and C.S. Lewis good).

Rothfuss is outstanding writer, no matter what genre you favor. His new books is even better then The Name of Wind.

Natedog24 04-13-2011 02:45 PM

I'm more excited for the next the book in his series which finally has a solid release date. July 12 2011, I hope it was worth the wait.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

TheReverend 04-13-2011 02:56 PM

I own the first book of the same title. Made it 30 pages before passing unconscious, and that's coming from the guy who's read all roughly 15,000 pages of Jordan's Wheel of Time.

TheReverend 04-13-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostknight (Post 3156655)

The guy that's finishing the series for him, Brandon Sanderson, is pretty amazing (though I thought the ending of the last one was pretty Mickey Mouse and stupid -- disclaimer: that ending prob came from Jordan's pre death notes)

scorpio 04-13-2011 03:40 PM

Tied with the Dune saga for my favorite series of books.

Wheel of Time and Goodkind's stuff is very dry compared to A Song of Ice and Fire imo.

scorpio 04-13-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkporter (Post 3156676)
It is a pretty complex series, and remembering all of the characters can be challenging at times.

The character list in A Feast for Crows is 70 pages long

shaunroach 04-13-2011 03:46 PM

It's an awesome series because no one is safe. Any character can die at anytime. I don't have HBO, but I'll probably plow through the DVD set like the Wire.

I have not read Brandon Sanderson, but did you know he was room mates with Jeopardy champion Ken Jennings?? TRUE FACT.

Also I agree about Rothfuss, he pretty good too.

04-13-2011 03:50 PM

It's very well written, and I recommend it. I'm not much for all that epic fantasy stuff, but so many friends recommended this one as "the best," I thought I'd try it with the series coming up. It reads well and was enjoyable.

04-13-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3156729)
I own the first book of the same title. Made it 30 pages before passing unconscious, and that's coming from the guy who's read all roughly 15,000 pages of Jordan's Wheel of Time.

You've got it backwards. Wheel of Time is murder.

TheReverend 04-13-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay3 (Post 3156752)
You've got it backwards. Wheel of Time is murder.

Books 8-10 were rough.

I have my suspicions that his wife (an editor at Tor) made him drag it out since the series is such a cash cow. After all, it was intended to be 12 books long and we're finally hitting the end when they release #14 at the start of next year

Boobs McGee 04-13-2011 04:15 PM

wow. After hearing about everyones positive reviews, I decided to check the books out. Every copy in the Denver area (except for the bookmobile, and I don't know if I can just show up at one of the elementary school locations to check one out there) is either checked out or on hold.

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a little while :(