The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   NFL Draft Forum (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Official Draft Patrick Peterson Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95973)

BowlenBall 12-28-2010 12:14 AM

Official Draft Patrick Peterson Thread
 
If we end up with the 2nd pick in the 2011 draft (and that's a big if with Tebow as our QB next week), and if Andrew Luck comes out, we'll be staring Patrick Peterson in the face when it's our turn to make a selection. Seeing how he's one of the guys we'll be endlessly debating until April, I thought he might deserve his own thread in the NFL draft forum.

Don't get me wrong -- I wish we had a stud DL at the top of the draft, but I'm not sure there is one this year who's in the class of Suh and McCoy. Also, I'm actually an even bigger fan of trading down 8-10 spots and then picking a lineman, but it's gonna be hard to pass on an Ed Reed-ish talent like this.

Here's a great read I came across today:
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/20..._be_remem.html

Some snippets from the article:
"What astounds me about Peterson is being able to move that build, that body structure, in a way that a cornerback has to do to respond to what's happening in front of him," Purvis said. "It's almost a phenomenon."

No one appreciates Peterson more than LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis. Peterson's cover skills allowed Chavis to be flexible with his blitz packages and defenses.

Chavis is not one to toss around superlatives about players unless they really earn them, but he said Peterson's ball skills are the best he's been around, and he coached All-Americans Eric Berry and Dale Carter at Tennessee.

"Eric had good ball skills, I don't know they were as good as Pat's," he said. "Pat has best ball skills that anyone I've been around - period.

"That's something you're not born with, it's something you create. I think at an early age his dad gave him an opportunity to develop those skills over a long period of time. You get a chance to coach a guy like that maybe every 10 years. He's truly a special athlete. What makes him special is his work ethic, dedication, desire, love for the game and love of competing."

12-28-2010 07:51 AM

Champ Bailey

Rohirrim 12-28-2010 08:02 AM

Everything I've seen and read about Peterson makes me believe he's an incredible football player. It would be amazing to see him in the Broncos' backfield, running all over the field trying to cover receivers while the opposing QB tries to decide, given all the time he'll have, which receiver he likes the most.

HILife 12-28-2010 12:27 PM

I'm sold, bring him in. We can draft line in the 2nd round. Supposely this is a good draft for that.

Broncoman13 12-28-2010 12:29 PM

Peterson would be a great pick no doubt... but Bowers looks like the next Demarcus Ware with a better build already. You give me an option between the next Champ Bailey and the next Demarcus Ware and I'm probably going to pick the next Champ Bailey 8 out of 10 times. In our current situation, I'm taking the next Demarcus Ware. Give me somebody that is going to get in Rivers, Cassel, Manning, Brady, and Rothlisberger's face and cause some fumbles. We've seen Champ Bailey and what he can do...without a pass rush he is just another CB that gets frustrated b/c teams just pass away from him.

snowspot66 12-28-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncoman13 (Post 3060660)
Peterson would be a great pick no doubt... but Bowers looks like the next Demarcus Ware with a better build already. You give me an option between the next Champ Bailey and the next Demarcus Ware and I'm probably going to pick the next Champ Bailey 8 out of 10 times. In our current situation, I'm taking the next Demarcus Ware. Give me somebody that is going to get in Rivers, Cassel, Manning, Brady, and Rothlisberger's face and cause some fumbles. We've seen Champ Bailey and what he can do...without a pass rush he is just another CB that gets frustrated b/c teams just pass away from him.

Champ's best year was in 2005. He was probably the most dominant player in the entire league that year and he did it with absolutely zero pass rush. If we can get a guy like Champ you take him unless there is an equally talented lineman.

peacepipe 12-28-2010 01:37 PM

I have no problem taking a DL as long as we trade down to do so. Their isn't a DL worth a #2 pick.

NFLBRONCO 12-28-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacepipe (Post 3060763)
I have no problem taking a DL as long as we trade down to do so. Their isn't a DL worth a #2 pick.

I agree

12-28-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacepipe (Post 3060763)
I have no problem taking a DL as long as we trade down to do so. Their isn't a DL worth a #2 pick.

Yeah there is. But go ahead and keep rationalizing the sexy pick.

12-28-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowspot66 (Post 3060760)
Champ's best year was in 2005. He was probably the most dominant player in the entire league that year and he did it with absolutely zero pass rush. If we can get a guy like Champ you take him unless there is an equally talented lineman.

No, youre thinking of 2006.

snowspot66 12-28-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vercingetorix (Post 3061153)
No, youre thinking of 2006.

Looking at the stats just now and it was two years of domination, 2005 and 2006, without a pass rush either year. Even more impressive in my book. If Peterson has that potential then hell yeah I want him to be the pick unless there is a Suh quality prospect on the defensive line.

12-28-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowspot66 (Post 3061204)
Looking at the stats just now and it was two years of domination, 2005 and 2006, without a pass rush either year.

2006 was by far his better year. They probably only threw at him 15 or so times and he still had at leaest 10 INTs. There were times when he had to play off his man to come up with the pick. 2006 was the season where he made the interception in the endzone in a home game against the Ravens.

In 2005 Coyer really brought the blitz. Then when Pittsburgh had an answer for it in the AFC CG, Coyer almost completely backed off of blitzing the next year, which made his 2006 even more impressive.

Crushaholic 12-28-2010 10:15 PM

I have no problem with this. NO QUARTERBACKS!!!!

Inkana7 12-28-2010 10:19 PM

If this guy is the best defender in the draft, grab him. We can have no shortage of playmakers on Defense, as we currently have one (Dumervil). Peterson looks like he could be a real deal at DB. Take him and draft Front 7 with our other 3 picks in the first 3 rounds.

This NEEDS to be the year that the Broncos invest in young defensive talent. They just have to.

12-28-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkana7 (Post 3061211)
If this guy is the best defender in the draft, grab him. We can have no shortage of playmakers on Defense, as we currently have one (Dumervil). Peterson looks like he could be a real deal at DB. Take him and draft Front 7 with our other 3 picks in the first 3 rounds.

This NEEDS to be the year that the Broncos invest in young defensive talent. They just have to.

Fairley is also really good and defensive linemen (especially ones that get pressure) affect the game more.

Inkana7 12-28-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vercingetorix (Post 3061216)
Fairley is also really good and defensive linemen (especially ones that get pressure) affect the game more.

He's also not worth a #2 overall selection.

12-28-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkana7 (Post 3061227)
He's also not worth a #2 overall selection.

Says who? He's in the top 5 all over the place.

Inkana7 12-28-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vercingetorix (Post 3061228)
Says who? He's in the top 5 all over the place.

Not for a 3-4.

12-28-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkana7 (Post 3061229)
Not for a 3-4.

Now youre switching your argument. OK, yeah, even in a 3-4. The guy provides pressure. Thats whats needed. It helps everyone behind him, including Doom, who is making too much money to not be effective.

peacepipe 12-28-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vercingetorix (Post 3061230)
Now youre switching your argument. OK, yeah, even in a 3-4. The guy provides pressure. Thats whats needed. It helps everyone behind him, including Doom, who is making too much money to not be effective.

hard to be effective when you have a torn bicep. Also he had 17.5 sacks without a "great" DE last yr.

12-28-2010 11:12 PM

Not on passing downs.

Edit--someone just deleted or edited their post.

footstepsfrom#27 12-29-2010 11:40 AM

Peterson is quite probably, the best player in college football. The opportunity to get this kind of elite player rarely comes along. When it does, you have to grab it.

HILife 12-29-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkana7 (Post 3061211)
If this guy is the best defender in the draft, grab him. We can have no shortage of playmakers on Defense, as we currently have one (Dumervil). Peterson looks like he could be a real deal at DB. Take him and draft Front 7 with our other 3 picks in the first 3 rounds.

This NEEDS to be the year that the Broncos invest in young defensive talent. They just have to.

There is no such thing as to many playmakers on defense. If he is the best Defensive player then yea, get him.

ICON 01-06-2011 05:59 PM

Best defender in the draft............

01-06-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 (Post 3061645)
Peterson is quite probably, the best player in college football. The opportunity to get this kind of elite player rarely comes along. When it does, you have to grab it.

If only elite corners meant that much in the grand scheme of things, but they just don't. He is the best player in the draft though, I agree with that.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.