The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Announcements, Features and Feedback (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Notice to readers about Denver Post copyright protections (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95176)

Taco John 11-19-2010 02:11 PM

Notice to readers about Denver Post copyright protections
 
I'd like to ask everyone here to help police this matter. We are a small site with a single owner/operator and a handful of volunteer moderators. The last thing that we need is a confrontation with the Denver Post (or any site for that matter).

A single paragraph with a link to the story is probably not going to get us into any trouble, and will most likely be appreciated for the traffic that it drives. Please do your part to keep our little slice of Broncomania in the good graces of our friends who are helping to feed the discussion.

Please read the following notice:
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16594528


If anyone has any comments or questions, I can be reached at the following email address: orangeisaac@gmail.com

Thank you.

enjolras 11-19-2010 02:14 PM

I'll just back this up. This is REALLY important, and not just for the post. There are companies that have formed for the sole purpose of copyright litigation against communities such as the mane. Every time anyone posts an entire story (as opposed to a paragraph or two with a link), it opens up the door for these idiot lawyers to pounce.

Ambiguous 11-19-2010 02:15 PM

Can you copy and paste the content of the link here?

Kaylore 11-19-2010 02:17 PM

Don't let Steeldude see this thread. He may try to murder everyone.

missingnumber7 11-19-2010 02:20 PM

There are some funny comments on that link.

TDmvp 11-19-2010 02:51 PM

Hope all news papers go outa business.

Time to move on and stop wasting the wood for paper , not that i care about waste.

It's just time to move on , papers was a fine media source 20 30 years ago now tho there is really 0 point.

Broncoman13 11-19-2010 02:52 PM

I think you should post a copyright notice too TJ. How many times have you seen something that was discussed on the OM in or the basis of a DP article? I've seen it quite a bit. I think the writers from the DP spend a lot of time on the various message boards and rob materials from some good posters in order to get paid and generate discussion. I know it won't work this way, but it should be a two way street.

bowtown 11-19-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncoman13 (Post 3011425)
I think you should post a copyright notice too TJ. How many times have you seen something that was discussed on the OM in or the basis of a DP article? I've seen it quite a bit. I think the writers from the DP spend a lot of time on the various message boards and rob materials from some good posters in order to get paid and generate discussion. I know it won't work this way, but it should be a two way street.

Yeah, Mike Mayock picks BroncoWarrior's stuff off right and left.


PS. you can't copyright opinions about a football team.

Houshyamama 11-19-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDmvp (Post 3011424)
Hope all news papers go outa business.

Time to move on and stop wasting the wood for paper , not that i care about waste.

It's just time to move on , papers was a fine media source 20 30 years ago now tho there is really 0 point.

My parents get the Wall Street Journal in paper form delivered every day, I really enjoy reading it when I go back home. Paper is a great medium as long as someone worthwhile is writing on it.

broncosteven 11-19-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houshyamama (Post 3011450)
My parents get the Wall Street Journal in paper form delivered every day, I really enjoy reading it when I go back home. Paper is a great medium as long as someone worthwhile is writing on it.

Paper has it's place and I still like real books, mags, papers, but my feelings may change once my books on hold come in from the library. I requested a bunch of Ray Kurzweil's books.

Rock Chalk 11-19-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambiguous (Post 3011391)
Can you copy and paste the content of the link here?

Priceless.

_Oro_ 11-20-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncoman13 (Post 3011425)
I think you should post a copyright notice too TJ. How many times have you seen something that was discussed on the OM in or the basis of a DP article? I've seen it quite a bit. I think the writers from the DP spend a lot of time on the various message boards and rob materials from some good posters in order to get paid and generate discussion. I know it won't work this way, but it should be a two way street.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Garcia Bronco 11-20-2010 08:29 AM

I'd prefer no none post anything for the Post. It's a rag.

Que 12-09-2010 08:54 AM

Folks, just to chime in here. This isn't an idle threat being made by a few newspapers. They're basically turning over their copyright infringement enforcement to Righthaven.com. Righthaven is taking an RIAA type stance on this and absolutely hammering the owner of any site where if finds infringement. ANY site. We're not talking about DMCA take down requests - nope, straight to a copyright infringement suit for $75,000 - $150,000 per instance of infringement.

For more info see:
One of many articles by the LV Sun about the suits. Check the one where a 70 year old retired Navy vet got nailed for posting an article on what looks to be his personal (but publicly accessible) blog.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...opyright-viol/

More info: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...at+Level%29%29

bowtown 12-09-2010 08:55 AM

Damn the Man.

Que 12-09-2010 10:47 AM

Totally. Actually, when I saw the repost of the entire Rick Riley article down on the board I cringed. That's the type of thing that could result in a suit being filed against TJ rather than a DMCA takedown request. Ick. Just seems like a great way to alienate your readership.

broncosteven 12-09-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Que (Post 3040010)
Totally. Actually, when I saw the repost of the entire Rick Riley article down on the board I cringed. That's the type of thing that could result in a suit being filed against TJ rather than a DMCA takedown request. Ick. Just seems like a great way to alienate your readership.

This is way too late in the game for them to do this, they should have stuck to their guns when the Internet took off. It is like giving away free crack but telling crack heads you can still have one free hit but get confused when they take the whole stash and run.

03-05-2011 03:28 PM

Funny, we never have any problems posting content at BCMB...


...weird.

bowtown 03-05-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW81 (Post 3131170)
Funny, we never have any problems posting content at BCMB...


...weird.

Funny, you look like a giant vagina.


...weird.

theAPAOps5 03-05-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW81 (Post 3131170)
Funny, we never have any problems posting content at BCMB...


...weird.

Wow you are just premature ejaculating all over our board. Don't you have some banning to do over at the Day Care Center?

Archer81 03-05-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW81 (Post 3131170)
Funny, we never have any problems posting content at BCMB...


...weird.


Who gives a rats ass?

Hobo.

:Broncos:

Bob's your Information Minister 03-06-2011 01:20 PM

****ing a-holes.

Bob's your Information Minister 03-06-2011 01:31 PM

This is basically backlash from the newspaper industry since no one wants to pony up for the online subscription services.

So now they're saying **** you, give us our goddamn traffic or we'll sue...

RhymesayersDU 03-06-2011 01:31 PM

What the **** is BCMB?

03-06-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister (Post 3131539)
This is basically backlash from the newspaper industry since no one wants to pony up for the online subscription services.

So now they're saying **** you, give us our goddamn traffic or we'll sue...

Exactly.

It won't be long before they (newspapers) are obsolete.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.