The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Announcements, Features and Feedback (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   New Feature: Back-to-back posts merge (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=9379)

Taco John 01-16-2004 01:36 PM

New Feature: Back-to-back posts merge
 
Hey all...

I just added a new feature to the board that I think many will appreciate...

I'm the worst at making back-to-back posts, rather than hitting edit and adding my new thoughts to the last post I made... Well, the board will now take care of that... Instead of seeing 3 or four posts in a row by the same user, the board software now automatically adds the new post to the last post that I made (until someone responds again).

This should help cut down on some of the clutter and save some bandwidth...

:thumbs:

Bo 01-16-2004 01:37 PM

How does it affect post counts?

Taco John 01-16-2004 01:40 PM

You have a good opportunity there to test it for yourself... but didn't take it...

it merges the posts, so a new post isn't made...

Blueflame 01-16-2004 01:41 PM

Sounds like a great idea, TJ! :thumbsup:

Bo 01-16-2004 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
You have a good opportunity there to test it for yourself... but didn't take it...

it merges the posts, so a new post isn't made...

OK

Thanks

I see now........ :clap:

Crushaholic 01-16-2004 01:44 PM

Fantastic idea! More rep points for you... :clap:


Dang! It says I have to spread the rep around. Oh well, I'll get back to you on the rep points... :approve:

PatsWin2002 01-16-2004 01:50 PM

So, like when Mock posts like 7 times in a row, it will all be put into 1 post unless another poster interrupts his streak.

(That's not a slam on Mock, I just know his habits....especially when it's like 3AM and traffic is slow and he goes back and adds new thoughts as they come to him.)

What about time restrictions? Can you post back-to-back if enough time has elapsed (like with a "bump")?

Am I like a 4 year old with 75 consecutive questions in rapid-fire succession?

Test!

*Hey it works! - this is post #3

Taco John 01-16-2004 01:51 PM

In short, yes... I think Mock and myself are the worst at it, though others do it too... It will merge the posts... When it merges the post, it also updates the time and bumps the thread to reflect the newer time...

frerottenextelway 01-16-2004 02:02 PM

Technology! Everyone thinks TJ is working hard on the site, but really, he's just like a kid in a candy store with this stuff. ;)

orange 4 life 01-16-2004 02:26 PM

that explains the question i had!!

i just posted two consecutive on another thread and was cinfused to see them merged.

anyway, while it might help the short posts, sometimes myself, mock, or you taco will INTENTIONALLY break up long post into two to either emphasize a new thought OR just shorten the post to make it easier to read.

another question is what happens if youre tryin to quote someone.
sometimes ill post 3 or 4 in a row in a thread with all posts responses to quotes from others. will those still be separate?
thanks,

jake

Quote:

Originally Posted by frerottenextelway
Technology! Everyone thinks TJ is working hard on the site, but really, he's just like a kid in a candy store with this stuff. ;)

no response to you gus, just trying to answer my own question.

see how disjointed this is getting.

i dont know taco.

no offense but i dont like it at all.

its nice to be able to quote DIFFERENT people and have different posts to differentiate.
i think this will actaully cause confusion.

jake

Blueflame 01-16-2004 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake meffley
that explains the question i had!!

i just posted two consecutive on another thread and was cinfused to see them merged.

anyway, while it might help the short posts, sometimes myself, mock, or you taco will INTENTIONALLY break up long post into two to either emphasize a new thought OR just shorten the post to make it easier to read.

another question is what happens if youre tryin to quote someone.
sometimes ill post 3 or 4 in a row in a thread with all posts responses to quotes from others. will those still be separate?
thanks,

jake




no response to you gus, just trying to answer my own question.

see how disjointed this is getting.

i dont know taco.

no offense but i dont like it at all.

its nice to be able to quote DIFFERENT people and have different posts to differentiate.
i think this will actaully cause confusion.

jake


In the event that it looks like your posts will be consecutive, one could add lines or stars or something to indicate a separate thought...

*****

Like this....

baja 01-16-2004 02:31 PM

Hey look it's retroactive - Mock has only 400 posts!

Blueflame 01-16-2004 02:33 PM

*****

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
In short, yes... I think Mock and myself are the worst at it, though others do it too... It will merge the posts... When it merges the post, it also updates the time and bumps the thread to reflect the newer time...

Personally, I like it... it will save time for those of us who edit our last post if no one else has posted...

baja 01-16-2004 02:40 PM

I don't like it that much for the same reasons Jake doesn't like it.

orange 4 life 01-16-2004 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake meffley
that explains the question i had!!

i just posted two consecutive on another thread and was cinfused to see them merged.

anyway, while it might help the short posts, sometimes myself, mock, or you taco will INTENTIONALLY break up long post into two to either emphasize a new thought OR just shorten the post to make it easier to read.

another question is what happens if youre tryin to quote someone.
sometimes ill post 3 or 4 in a row in a thread with all posts responses to quotes from others. will those still be separate?
thanks,

jake



no response to you gus, just trying to answer my own question.

see how disjointed this is getting.

i dont know taco.

no offense but i dont like it at all.

its nice to be able to quote DIFFERENT people and have different posts to differentiate.
i think this will actaully cause confusion.

jake

im getting carried away so sorry, but the "no resonse....." line was one post, and the "see how disjointed...." sentence was another.

can we at least make the posts with quotes separate please?

jake

PatsWin2002 01-16-2004 02:46 PM

Hey TJ, I just realized we lost the checkboxes so we can reply to multiple posts in one post.

That feature would be encouraged and helpful with this new merging stuff.

Right now you'd have to reply to individual questions asked directly at you in separate posts...which may be merged and could look confusing and read kinda funny.

Can you implement an HR HTML tag or or something between merged items?
<hr>
Like this!

I think I just repeated some of what Jake was talking about....but it was all one thought as I was typing. I'd like those checkboxes back, though.

Moon§hiner 01-16-2004 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja fan
Hey look it's retroactive - Mock has only 400 posts!

LOL .....I have to admit that I do it on occasion, usually it's because another thought came to mind a bit afterward...I really don't look at my post count when I do it....I thnk it's a good idea re: adding the stars to break up the posts if something is added

orange 4 life 01-16-2004 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueflame
In the event that it looks like your posts will be consecutive, one could add lines or stars or something to indicate a separate thought...

*****

Like this....

************

did i need these asterisks? has someone posted while im typing this? who knows?

************

i see your point flame, but i think editing is MUCH easier than remembering/wondering if you should use astersiks.

just my opinion, and i see that hat god agree's.

anyone else?

call me crazy or a whiner, and im truly sorry if i come off that way, but the more i think about it i REALLY dont like this feature.
if im in the minority ill deal, and i REALLY appreciate all taco's hard work, but this one strikes me as a step in the wrong direction.

jake

Blueflame 01-16-2004 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake meffley
************

did i need these asterisks? has someone posted while im typing this? who knows?

************

i see your point flame, but i think editing is MUCH easier than remembering/wondering if you should use astersiks.

just my opinion, and i see that hat god agree's.

anyone else?

call me crazy or a whiner, and im truly sorry if i come off that way, but the more i think about it i REALLY dont like this feature.
if im in the minority ill deal, and i REALLY appreciate all taco's hard work, but this one strikes me as a step in the wrong direction.

jake

Yeah... that was what I was thinking... particularly when the board's not too active, the *s would be easy to add. But I like Patswin's idea of an automatic HR HTML tag even better. That would break up separate thoughts without needing any extra effort. ;D

Taco John 01-16-2004 03:03 PM

Well, let's just give it a run and see how it works... Nothing is set in stone...

PatsWin2002 01-16-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake meffley
call me crazy or a whiner.........

How about "Crazy Whiner"? Ha!

OK, before you go for the negative rep button.........your points are well taken and I think it could be a bad thing depending on the limitations of the software (or the guy implementing it!.....oh crap, more bad rep).

baja 01-16-2004 03:12 PM

i JUST WANT TO POST SO pATSWIN CAN COMPARE THE TWO TEMPERATURES

Blueflame 01-16-2004 03:14 PM

That's quite a temperature difference!

Hey next post is #2700, Baja! :egbgb:

baja 01-16-2004 03:19 PM

Yikes!

Blue if i stare at your avatar too much I will have to swap the hats on my avatar.

Blueflame 01-16-2004 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja fan
Yikes!

Blue if i stare at your avatar too much I will have to swap the hats on my avatar.

LOL ;D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.