The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Arizona Cops Threatened by Mexican Drug Cartel (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=92602)

bronclvr 07-06-2010 07:52 AM

Arizona Cops Threatened by Mexican Drug Cartel
 
A Mexican drug cartel has threatened police officers in Arizona who confiscated a marijuana shipment, prompting the small town department to warn its officers to remain armed and have radios with them at all times, and keep their body armor handy.

Police in Nogales, Arizona, have been told to carry guns at all times.Police and experts believe the warning against the Nogales, Ariz., cops marks the first time that powerful Mexican drug cartels, used to bribing and bullying police south of the border, have targeted U.S. officers.

Jeffrey Kirkham, chief of the Nogales police department, told ABCNews.com that informants had delivered the threats after two off-duty police officers seized 400 pounds of marijuana while horseback riding outside the city earlier this month. The pot was worth about $250,000, he said.

Kirkham said informants have told his police department that off-duty officers should ignore cross-border drug shipments or face retaliation.

The threats appear credible because various informants were able to identify the officers who intercepted the drug load. Kirkham said the threats by Mexican traffickers were the first against local law enforcement on the U.S. side of the border.

"They're getting upset that their product so to speak is not getting to where it needs to be," Kirkham said of the cartels.

The chief said he gave a stern warning of his own to his 63 officers for what to do while they are off duty.

"We met with all the employees and supervisors to make them aware of what was said, and to make sure that they have their body armor and are armed and that their communications equipment is working properly," Kirkham said. Kirkham attributed the surprising threat toMexico's war on the cartels.

"The pressure is on them from the president in Mexico and that desperation is starting to spill over the border," Kirkham told ABCNews.com.

Attacks by Mexican cartels on American law enforcement officers would be an alarming escalation of the Mexican drug wars. Cartel turf wars have killed more than 23,000 people across Mexico since President Felipe Calderon launched a military crackdown on drug gangs in late 2006.

In the neighboring Mexican city of Nogales, attacks on police officers have become commonplace. A deputy police chief in Nogales, Mexico, and his bodyguard were shot dead in March when gunmen in a pickup truck opened fire on them with assault rifles.

In November 2008, the police chief for Sonora state, which includes Nogales, was ambushed and killed just a few miles south of the Arizona border.


more here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/mexican-dru...ry?id=10995661

Anybody else still against the Arizona Law?

sisterhellfyre 07-06-2010 10:40 AM

Once upon a time, back in 1916, there was a guy named Doroteo Arango (aka Pancho Villa) raiding across the border and retreating back into Mexico. Woodrow Wilson sent the Army (Brigadier General Pershing in command) into Mexico in pursuit of Villa with the reluctant agreement of the Mexican president. Sounds great, but the rules of engagement were so restrictive that Pershing's troops were all but hamstrung.

I hear that history repeats itself. Something to think about?

gunns 07-06-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronclvr (Post 2877399)
A Mexican drug cartel has threatened police officers in Arizona who confiscated a marijuana shipment, prompting the small town department to warn its officers to remain armed and have radios with them at all times, and keep their body armor handy.

Police in Nogales, Arizona, have been told to carry guns at all times.Police and experts believe the warning against the Nogales, Ariz., cops marks the first time that powerful Mexican drug cartels, used to bribing and bullying police south of the border, have targeted U.S. officers.

Jeffrey Kirkham, chief of the Nogales police department, told ABCNews.com that informants had delivered the threats after two off-duty police officers seized 400 pounds of marijuana while horseback riding outside the city earlier this month. The pot was worth about $250,000, he said.

Kirkham said informants have told his police department that off-duty officers should ignore cross-border drug shipments or face retaliation.

The threats appear credible because various informants were able to identify the officers who intercepted the drug load. Kirkham said the threats by Mexican traffickers were the first against local law enforcement on the U.S. side of the border.

"They're getting upset that their product so to speak is not getting to where it needs to be," Kirkham said of the cartels.

The chief said he gave a stern warning of his own to his 63 officers for what to do while they are off duty.

"We met with all the employees and supervisors to make them aware of what was said, and to make sure that they have their body armor and are armed and that their communications equipment is working properly," Kirkham said. Kirkham attributed the surprising threat toMexico's war on the cartels.

"The pressure is on them from the president in Mexico and that desperation is starting to spill over the border," Kirkham told ABCNews.com.

Attacks by Mexican cartels on American law enforcement officers would be an alarming escalation of the Mexican drug wars. Cartel turf wars have killed more than 23,000 people across Mexico since President Felipe Calderon launched a military crackdown on drug gangs in late 2006.

In the neighboring Mexican city of Nogales, attacks on police officers have become commonplace. A deputy police chief in Nogales, Mexico, and his bodyguard were shot dead in March when gunmen in a pickup truck opened fire on them with assault rifles.

In November 2008, the police chief for Sonora state, which includes Nogales, was ambushed and killed just a few miles south of the Arizona border.


more here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/mexican-dru...ry?id=10995661

Anybody else still against the Arizona Law?

You can get rid of all the illegal immigrants here in the US and it isn't going to stop something like this. There are plenty of American citizens willing to take that product and if stopped by the police, the cartel would be just as pissed. It's time for a little reenforcement down there.

Binkythefrog 07-06-2010 10:56 AM

What does this have to do with the Arizona law?

The Arizona law targets those who police suspect are not from the United States. Even with strict immigration controls, these drug cartels would exist because of high demand for drugs from the United States.

Hoping that random checks on citizens will reduce the number of Mexican drug operatives in the US is a pipe dream.

Closing the border, getting more national guard resources to the border or reducing the ridiculous demand for drugs from the United States is the answer to fight these powerful drug cartels, not randomly asking people for their papers.

gyldenlove 07-06-2010 10:58 AM

This is why they have Delta Force right? send them to Mexico and let them do their ****, a few more dead drug dealers in dumpsters wouldn't be suspecious.

cutthemdown 07-06-2010 11:10 AM

Eventually I could see US troops in Mexico. Still probably 3-5 yrs away but eventually.

cutthemdown 07-06-2010 11:11 AM

Sending in Delta Force is an act of war. That no small thing even though we do it all the time LOL!!

Kaylore 07-06-2010 11:12 AM

Illegal immigrants aren't making people smoke pot.

oubronco 07-06-2010 11:13 AM

Hell just send in some snipers and rid the country of a few worthless human beings

baja 07-06-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 2877476)
Eventually I could see US troops in Mexico. Still probably 3-5 yrs away but eventually.

I love it when you come up with these time lines, does it hurt when you pull them out of your ass?

Paladin 07-06-2010 11:21 AM

If Americans were allowed to grow their own pot, that would end the Mexican pot smuggling....

broncocalijohn 07-06-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyldenlove (Post 2877461)
This is why they have Delta Force right? send them to Mexico and let them do their ****, a few more dead drug dealers in dumpsters wouldn't be suspecious.

That is old school. Now they just behead the guys. I have yet to hear our President Obama say anything on this. This is the type of news you use to get the National Guard and more border patrol in the area. Mexico needs us to do more undercover work in Mexico on our terms (since Mexico is so damn corrupt). Cutting off the fingers is fine but more effective would be to go for the throat.

cutthemdown 07-06-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 2877479)
Illegal immigrants aren't making people smoke pot.

Also they grow somuch in calif im surprised they even need to smuggle anymore.

My area got smart, made it legal, sort of, but now wants to make these crazy taxes. They want shops to pay income tax, a 10 thousand a yr permit fee, and 15% right off the top each month of the gross income. LOL the gross!!!

DO that and you create a huge black market and nothing changes. Ou govt will never learn. You have to make drugs legal, and tax low, get rid of all black markets for it to work.

cutthemdown 07-06-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncocalijohn (Post 2877499)
That is old school. Now they just behead the guys. I have yet to hear our President Obama say anything on this. This is the type of news you use to get the National Guard and more border patrol in the area. Mexico needs us to do more undercover work in Mexico on our terms (since Mexico is so damn corrupt). Cutting off the fingers is fine but more effective would be to go for the throat.

Let's give them some credit. Men have had families shot because they aren't taking payoffs and fighting them. The President of Mexico has fought them hard. It's just the billions from drug trade is hard to fight. They have gone for the throat which is why the criminals are desperate right now.

baja 07-06-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 2877506)
Let's give them some credit. Men have had families shot because they aren't taking payoffs and fighting them. The President of Mexico has fought them hard. It's just the billions from drug trade is hard to fight. They have gone for the throat which is why the criminals are desperate right now.

Clearly the depression is hurting all business including the drug business.

Smiling Assassin27 07-06-2010 11:42 AM

And the Federal government, being the inefficient, lazy, and politically motivated entity that it is, will announce shortly that 'it's a state matter' as they pursue a lawsuit against that state to legislate border enforcement itself.

If anyone saw 'Tombstone', you know exactly who the President is in all this:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nIdBAzWoRjg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nIdBAzWoRjg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Sherriff John Behan...

TheElusiveKyleOrton 07-06-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunns (Post 2877454)
You can get rid of all the illegal immigrants here in the US and it isn't going to stop something like this. There are plenty of American citizens willing to take that product and if stopped by the police, the cartel would be just as pissed. It's time for a little reenforcement down there.

This. The Arizona law doesn't JUST affect drug lords; in fact it would barely phase them.

Cop: "Can I see your papers please? I think you might be illegal."
Drug lord: /fires gun

You're right. The Arizona law would TOTALLY take care of these things.

Smiling Assassin27 07-06-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy (Post 2877512)
This. The Arizona law doesn't JUST affect drug lords; in fact it would barely phase them.

Cop: "Can I see your papers please? I think you might be illegal."
Drug lord: /fires gun

You're right. The Arizona law would TOTALLY take care of these things.

Strawman. The law wasn't enacted to deal with this and never has been represented as such.

Taking a pot shot at the 1070 because it doesn't solve the drug cartel problem or cure cancer is kinda cheap, really.

Homer Simpson 07-06-2010 11:52 AM

Reminds me of Breaking Bad...

baja 07-06-2010 11:53 AM

If the drug lords kill US cops it will prove to be their undoing.

Garcia Bronco 07-06-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 2877487)
If Americans were allowed to grow their own pot, that would end the Mexican pot smuggling....

This. Stop the bull****.

Meck77 07-06-2010 12:22 PM

Mexico! Heaven on Earth!

barryr 07-06-2010 12:29 PM

Meanwhile Holder and the Obama admin. would rather spend time suing the state of Arizona for trying to do something about this problem instead of securing the border like they are supposed to be doing.

broncosteven 07-06-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 2877487)
If Americans were allowed to grow their own pot, that would end the Mexican pot smuggling....

Ummm do you think that all they are bringing in is pot?

What about Coke, Heroin, Speed/Meth, not to mention slave trade, extortion, indentured servitude(sp?).

Legalizing weed won't make it all go away, it would just amplify the issues.

baja 07-06-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 2877559)
Ummm do you think that all they are bringing in is pot?

What about Coke, Heroin, Speed/Meth, not to mention slave trade, extortion, indentured servitude(sp?).

Legalizing weed won't make it all go away, it would just amplify the issues.

Wrong
Made yo look


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.