The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Piloi gettin' slammed by NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=81172)

Bronco Rob 06-10-2009 12:13 PM

Piloi gettin' slammed by NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel

June 10, 2009

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

— “The biggest steal of the draft — I think — was the Falcons getting a Hall of Fame tight end (Tony Gonzalez) for a second-round pick next year, which amounts to a third (-rounder). Who is Matt Cassel going to check down to now? Gonzalez was a huge part of that offense. He was their go-to receiver. He was the security blanket check-down. With a quarterback adapting to a new system, I would not have wanted to give him up — not this year. He is going to make Matt Ryan a lot better.”

— “(Seattle head coach) Jimmy Mora wants to win now. His ego won’t allow for anything else. That’s why the Seahawks passed on the quarterbacks. I think they’ll live to regret it. How much money is (Aaron) Curry going to get paid next year? Then look at the salaries of Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill. They all have to be close to making $8 million (per year). I hope they have a plan for Curry to rush the passer in nickel situations — and he is able to do it — because that’s a lot of money to pay any linebacker who is not going to be on the field in nickel situations.”

“I have a bone to pick with the media. How come everyone let Scott Pioli off the hook? Tyson Jackson is a Toyota. (The Chiefs) spent 60K on a Toyota. It’s OK if you spend it on a Mercedes. I don’t care if it’s an Avalon (high-end model Toyota). (Bill) Belichick looked like a genius trading out of the first round and picking up picks for next year so he does not have to pay anyone first-round money who is not a first-round talent. Pioli traded one pick in the sixth round, and he overpaid Jackson.”

— “(Eagles rookie WR) Jeremy Maclin is very, very raw. He’s going to take some time to figure it out.”

— “You can say Mark Sanchez could not even beat out Josh Booty, but if you asked Pete Carroll now, I think he would admit he probably made a mistake. People forget how close the competition was between Booty, Matt Leinart and Matt Cassel the year after Carson Palmer left. It was neck-to-neck-to-neck. Cassel came close to being the starter, but Leinart was the most mistake-free — he knew where to go with the ball and when to get rid of it. That’s why he won the job. Cassel easily could have been the Heisman Trophy winner. If you look at it in retrospect, who has been the best pro? I’d say it’s not even close — it’s Cassel — and how many snaps did he take in college? Too many people get caught up in who the starter is, but college coaches have a lot of tough (personnel) decisions to make, too, and they don’t always get them right.”

— “I would not have given up a first-rounder next year for Everette Brown, but he can rush the passer and you know exactly what you are getting. His intangibles are a lot like Jon Beason’s. He’ll make everyone around him better. He has the qualities Julius Peppers is lacking. And to be fair, they might be able to get two first-rounders back for Peppers next year.”

— “(Ohio S) Mike Mitchell is a good player. (Too many evaluators) are covering their ass (by dinging him). He can run and he will knock the (crap) out of you. Watch the Ohio State game — he had a great game. He was lights-out. The problem is that few scouts went into the program and studied him. The kid ran a 4.48 (in the 40) and he pulled up early. Where the Raiders screwed up — they could have taken him two rounds later. There was no need to take him as early as they did, but they did the same thing with Darrius Heyward-Bey. The old man (Al Davis) does not care about overspending. At worst, though, (Mitchell) will be a good special-teamer. Mark my words — he will be a good player. He is a banger. You may not want him at free (safety), but he’ll start in the box and be good at it.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...dibles2404.htm

:afro: