The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Casey Wiegmann wants extension before training camp (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=81145)

HEAV 06-09-2009 10:02 AM

Casey Wiegmann wants extension before training camp

He's threating to retire if he doesn't get a deal.

Denver Broncos Pro Bowl center Casey Wiegmann is participating in offseason practices and workouts, but he expressed frustration that he has not been given a contract extension and indicated he might re-evaluate his future if he doesn't get a contract extension before training camp.

Wiegmann, who will turn 36 on July 20, considered retirement in the offseason. He decided to come back with one year left on his current contract, which he said wasn't an easy decision with new coach Josh McDaniels coming in with a new offensive system to learn. Wiegmann said if Mike Shanahan had remained coach, he believes he would have had a contract extension a week after last season was finished.

Wiegmann said there has been some contact between his agent and the Broncos, but there hasn't been any recent movement.

"It's not really going anywhere," Wiegmann said after a passing camp practice Monday. "It's kind of frustrating, especially when they want reliability. I'm probably one of the more reliable players. We'll see. They have another month and a half to get something done."

Training camp begins in a little more than a month and a half, in late July. When asked if he would consider coming to training camp without a contract extension, Wiegmann said he didn't know.

"It would be tough. It would be really tough," Wiegmann said. "A lot of things you have to discuss with your family, and my wife. There's also stuff that weighs in the back of your mind and what's going on, and if you can leave healthy in this game, it's always a good thing."

Wiegmann, who signed with Denver last offseason and started 16 games after Tom Nalen went down with a knee injury, is slated to make $1.145 million this season. Wiegmann did not explicitly say he would retire or stay away from training camp without a contract extension, but admitted it was possible.

"There's certain things that should happen, the way I played last year," said Wiegmann, who played in his first Pro Bowl.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said the team has had conversations with Wiegmann's representatives, but also indicated nothing is imminent.

"It is where it is," McDaniels said. "There's nothing much more to talk about. He is under contract, and if we can get something done we will."

When asked about the possibility of Wiegmann staying away from training camp or more, McDaniels didn't sound concerned.

"I'm not going to worry about it right now," McDaniels said. "We've had conversations, and we'll see what happens."

Wiegmann has started 127 straight games, which is most among NFL centers. He also said he has been at almost every offseason workout.

"I just know I've done my job here, I showed up the entire offseason program," Wiegmann said. "I missed one OTA (organized team activity) because we celebrated my dad's 60th birthday party. For a guy going into his 14th year, he shouldn't be doing all the stuff our weight coach is doing, and I've done everything. I'm just doing my part. Now I'm going to see what they're going to do."

He said he has participated in the offseason workouts because he wanted to show the Broncos he wants to play this season.

"I want to be here, but everything has to be the right situation, too," Wiegmann said

http://www.gazette.com/sports/wiegma...-contract.html

Bronco Rob 06-09-2009 10:04 AM

Do it.......

What the hay.......

Hotrod 06-09-2009 10:07 AM

I say pay the man. When your building your team around a franchise QB the Oline is wait..............

TheReverend 06-09-2009 10:08 AM

Pay him. Please... There have been enough ****ing problems

BroncoBuff 06-09-2009 10:10 AM

I thought we already took care of this around Pro Bowl time?

Give him a fat two year deal, he's earned. And we need him.

Smiling Assassin27 06-09-2009 10:11 AM

I want a 14 inch wang, a lobotomy, and 10 million dollars...you can't always get what you want. but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.

SonOfLe-loLang 06-09-2009 10:12 AM

Obviously, he should be paid. though i find it kind of funny that Brandon Marshall is getting reemed for the same thing and he's never been quoted (to my knowledge) of being unhappy. brandon should be paid too

lex 06-09-2009 10:16 AM

I dont know if he's worth it considering L'steiger might actually be ready but even if L'steiger is ready, is it so bad to have some depth at OL. I mean, at 36, how expensive can this guy be?

yerner 06-09-2009 10:16 AM

Pay him. Pay that man his money.

BroncoBuff 06-09-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerner (Post 2439429)
Pay that man his money.

Pay thhhee man hees muuuny.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cooki...eoCookies2.jpg

broncofan2438 06-09-2009 10:50 AM

Pay the freakn guy. All we need is more holes to fill if he gets pissed off. Orton under pressure is no good

STBumpkin 06-09-2009 10:56 AM

I think we should pay him, and I understand how it works however...isn't he almost surely going to retire after this season? He wants us to extend a contract that he almost surely won't fullful? It's funny how the system works.

vancejohnson82 06-09-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STBumpkin (Post 2439481)
I think we should pay him, and I understand how it works however...isn't he almost surely going to retire after this season? He wants us to extend a contract that he almost surely won't fullful? It's funny how the system works.

Exactly....thats the part I don't understand.

The reason he wasn't extended a week after the season is becuase reports started to surface that he may retire

TonyR 06-09-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

...however...isn't he almost surely going to retire after this season? He wants us to extend a contract that he almost surely won't fullful? It's funny how the system works.

I was thinking the same thing. He considered retiring after the season and yet he wants an extension? How about just saying you want a raise? Might as well bring in Cuba Gooding, Jr. to do his Rod Tidwell imitation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA

_Oro_ 06-09-2009 11:05 AM

He wants more money before he commits to the rigors of training camp and another season....

Garcia Bronco 06-09-2009 11:06 AM

I say cut him. Twice. Mustard style.

Los Broncos 06-09-2009 11:09 AM

Pay him please, get it done.

FISH 06-09-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 2439420)
I want a 14 inch wang....

hmmm...

sisterhellfyre 06-09-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

I want a 14 inch wang, a lobotomy, and 10 million dollars...you can't always get what you want. but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.sieler.com/vcf6/wang_2200.gif

Beantown Bronco 06-09-2009 11:34 AM

He's obviously going to retire after next season, so offer him a better one year salary. Instead of the $1.1 million in unguaranteed salary he's slated to make, give him say $2.5-3.0 million and guarantee it all. That should be enough to make him happy I would think.

Doggcow 06-09-2009 11:42 AM

Pay the man. And bring his wife!

Tombstone RJ 06-09-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

They should just renegotiate his current contract. Give him like a $2.5m guaranteed one year deal with incentives/bonuses for reaching certain goals (number of games played, reaching the playoffs, etc.).

This way he gets his money now and the Broncos won't be stuck with dead money should he get injured or if he retires after the season.

HEAV 06-09-2009 12:10 PM

Could make the $1.145 a signing bonus and give him a heavy incentive landen deal for 09 and a possible 2010 kicker.

uplink 06-09-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 2439417)
Pay him. Please... There have been enough ****ing problems

Agree totally, pay this guy. Of all the off-season changes, letting this guy go would be among the worst.

footstepsfrom#27 06-09-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

I can't do much about the other two but an icepick through the eye-socket and a few twists ought to handle that lobotomy for ya just fine. ;D