The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Tailgate Recipes (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Bratwurst (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=79978)

Bronx33 04-24-2009 04:24 PM

Bratwurst

I found this link looking for a recipe, way to much info to post ( but it looks promising) http://www.bratwurstpages.com/brats.html

ksBRONCOfan 05-14-2009 07:08 PM

I stab my brats with a fork twice before placing them in the pot. I add enough water to cover and start them on the heat. I put chopped up onion, couple garlic cloves, whole peppercorns and a bay leaf in the mix. I do bring to a full boil (never had any casings burst). I boil for 10 to 15 minutes. Then I throw them on the grill over medium heat and let them get that nice grilled brown on the outside. I try to only turn them over once while on the grill. When they are done they are just full of juice and flavor. There is usually big bubbles of juice in the casings just waiting to be bit into so the piping hot juices squirt you in the face. (that sounds wrong)

I used to use beer, but quickly decided that it was a waste of beer.

Arkansas Bronco 08-24-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksBRONCOfan (Post 2417223)

I love boiling them in beer but I look at my beer stash half the time and say na ill just use water. Ive used a dry rub on em several times (put on after the boil of course) and that gives em a little spice kick.

Rock Chalk 09-11-2009 02:44 PM

I will not eat a brat unless its boiled in beer.

If you are too cheap to afford 3 beers for the brat boil you shouldnt be allowed to cook, for anyone, ever.

ksBRONCOfan 09-12-2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk (Post 2549989)
I will not eat a brat unless its boiled in beer.

If you are too cheap to afford 3 beers for the brat boil you shouldnt be allowed to cook, for anyone, ever.

meh. I've found that with the way I boil them someone would never tell wether I used beer or water.

yerner 08-05-2010 08:38 AM

See, I've found the secret is to put them in a beer bath AFTER they come off the grill. You can char the hell out of them and the come back to life soaking in delicious beer. Taste the beer more too. Truth is, I boil them in beer. Grill. Then put them back in the beer pot.

CHEF LUIGI 11-13-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksBRONCOfan (Post 2417223)
I stab my brats with a fork twice before placing them in the pot. I add enough water to cover and start them on the heat. I put chopped up onion, couple garlic cloves, whole peppercorns and a bay leaf in the mix. I do bring to a full boil (never had any casings burst). I boil for 10 to 15 minutes. Then I throw them on the grill over medium heat and let them get that nice grilled brown on the outside. I try to only turn them over once while on the grill. When they are done they are just full of juice and flavor. There is usually big bubbles of juice in the casings just waiting to be bit into so the piping hot juices squirt you in the face. (that sounds wrong)

your casing do not burst because you pierce them first.
I reccomend you grill the pierced brats first, just brown them a few minutes, each side, then braise them in beer. working on a grill you can brown the brats, put them in a pan with some onions, also browned and then cover with beer, use a cheap beer, just not a bad/ rancid beer.
when its time to serve take them out of the beer broth and put them back on the grill for a few minutes92-3) DEOENDING ON HOW DONE THE BRAT OWNER WANTS THEM.
add some of those onions in the beer broth too.
FWIW, i reccomend earl cambell hot links in addition to brats, they are the best gameday sausage I have ever encountered, great taste and value too !

CHEF LUIGI 11-13-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerner (Post 2892550)
See, I've found the secret is to put them in a beer bath AFTER they come off the grill. You can char the hell out of them and the come back to life soaking in delicious beer. Taste the beer more too. Truth is, I boil them in beer. Grill. Then put them back in the beer pot.

BINGO !