The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   200lb chimp beats woman to near death (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77276)

ZONA 02-18-2009 12:29 AM

200lb chimp beats woman to near death

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/02/17...ef=mpstoryview

(CNN) -- A Connecticut woman pleaded for police to "please hurry" to save a friend from an attack by a pet chimpanzee, according to emotional 911 recordings released Tuesday by Stamford police.
Police say Travis, seen here as a younger chimp, was like a child to his owner, Sandra Herold.

Police say Travis, seen here as a younger chimp, was like a child to his owner, Sandra Herold.

"He's ripping her apart," Sandra Herold, 70, tells dispatchers about her pet, Travis.

With the chimp squealing in the background, Herold cries out, "He's killed my friend!"

The victim, Charla Nash, 55, remains hospitalized with life-threatening injuries after the chimp, once featured in television commercials for Coca-Cola and Old Navy, attacked her Monday afternoon, police said.

Nash had just arrived at Herold's house when Travis jumped on her and began biting and mauling her, causing serious injuries to her face, neck and hands, according to Stamford Police Capt. Rich Conklin. Conklin said the attack was unprovoked, but he described it as "brutal and lengthy."

Herold had called Nash to her house to help get 14-year-old Travis back inside after he used a key to escape.

While her friend was being attacked, Herold was unable to pull the primate off. She then called 911 before stabbing the chimp with a butcher knife and hitting him with a shovel. Neither fazed Travis, who police said had been like a child to Herold.
Don't Miss

A Stamford police officer later shot the chimp multiple times after the primate went after him inside a police cruiser, Conklin said. Travis returned to the house, where police found him dead. Conklin estimated that Travis weighed close to 200 pounds.

Conklin couldn't confirm media reports that the chimp had Lyme disease, though he did say investigators were taking their time with the case to determine what may have provoked Travis to attack Nash. Animals often do not exhibit symptoms of Lyme disease, caused by the bite of certain types of ticks, although aggression is a possible symptom, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Conklin said Nash had recently gotten a haircut that changed her appearance significantly. Conklin said the chimp had been acting "rambunctious" earlier, prompting Herold to put Xanax in a cup of tea for him to drink. He did not know if the animal had been prescribed the medicine or if Herold had ever given her pet such a mixture before.

Conklin added that his department is not used to dealing with cases such as this, and they were trying to familiarize themselves with laws and regulations before deciding if charges will be filed.

Conklin said this isn't the first interaction his officers have had with Travis. The chimp, who was well known and liked in the community, escaped in 2003 and "wreaked havoc" on the streets of Stamford for a couple of hours, Conklin said.
advertisement

Travis' body was removed from the home and taken to two locations: His head was taken to the state lab for a rabies test and the body was taken to the University of Connecticut for an animal autopsy. Conklin said this is standard procedure.

The chimp, who was known to walk around town, sometimes without a leash, also liked to surf on the Internet and was able to change the TV channel with a remote, according to a Stamford Advocate article. The paper also reported that Travis watered plants, was able to feed hay to his owner's horses, ate at a table with the rest of the family and sometimes drank wine from a stemmed glass.

A 200lb chimp - WTF were they feeding him? That sounds pretty damn big to me. I'm 215lbs and I've walked right next to chimps in cages and they didn't seem like they were but 100lbs at most. And after being stabbed with a butcher knife, the chimp was trying to get to the cop, who finally shot him? Damn, that chimp was one bad MF.

One of these days.................

http://www.mattcioffi.com/samples/gangstaChimp23.jpg

TDmvp 02-18-2009 12:32 AM

It bit off BOTH that one girls hands and ate them during all this i heard on tv ...

Sad as well as crazy ...

BroncoMan4ever 02-18-2009 03:22 AM

get your hands off of me you damn dirty ape.

how epically hilarious would it have been to hear this womans friend say that as he was beating her to death.

Dexter 02-18-2009 04:23 AM

I don't mean to sound cold, but it always amazes me how people seem shocked by stories like this.

It is still a wild animal, no matter how trained or tamed it may seem.

I still wish the woman the best recovery possible.

tesnyde 02-18-2009 04:44 AM

People get animals as pets and have no idea what they getting into. My family lived in Borneo for 5 yrs. Poachers would kill mama oragutangs to get the babies to sell as pets in Singapore/around the world for 10k. The babies then grow up and become 3x stronger than a man and cannot be handled. They get dropped the zoo, killed, or left in parks. Its sad and stupid. It is amazing how much the babies have the same mannerisms and expressions as human babies. I guess people get the wrong impression. No wonder they are going extinct.

Kaylore 02-18-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter (Post 2294095)
I don't mean to sound cold, but it always amazes me how people seem shocked by stories like this.

It is still a wild animal, no matter how trained or tamed it may seem.

I still wish the woman the best recovery possible.

I agree. This is like when those magicians in Vegas got mauled by their tigers. It's a tiger; It's going to act like one.

Garcia Bronco 02-18-2009 07:02 AM

I heard the 911 tape on the news this morning. This woman sounds like a freakin idiot. This chimp was killing her friend and she just sat there on the phone. GO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

MplsBronco 02-18-2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 2294089)
get your hands off of me you damn dirty ape.

how epically hilarious would it have been to hear this womans friend say that as he was beating her to death.

He wasn't beating her, he was eating her. Big difference and horrific.

MplsBronco 02-18-2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 2294174)
I heard the 911 tape on the news this morning. This woman sounds like a freakin idiot. This chimp was killing her friend and she just sat there on the phone. GO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

She was stabbing him with a butcher knife but that only made it worse and he tried to attack her.

Anyone remember several years ago the guy that went to visit a chimp he once owned? Another chimp got out and attacked him. Bit off one hand and his man parts as well as parts of his face. Chimps can be nasty.

Garcia Bronco 02-18-2009 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MplsBronco (Post 2294185)
She was stabbing him with a butcher knife but that only made it worse and he tried to attack her.

Anyone remember several years ago the guy that went to visit a chimp he once owned? Another chimp got out and attacked him. Bit off one hand and his man parts as well as parts of his face. Chimps can be nasty.

That's why you slit it's throat

HorseHead 02-18-2009 07:12 AM

The owners were dosing the Chimp with xanax to calm it down, no joke, the chimp had a reaction and freaked out...this will come out in the news in the next day or so..watch...

Dumb as-es.....no wonder he went ape sh-t, no pun intended...

HorseHead 02-18-2009 07:13 AM

My bad, read the article...

MplsBronco 02-18-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 2294187)
That's why you slit it's throat

Chimps are 3-7 times stronger than a human male. Plus he weighed 200 pounds which is a good sized human. I would like to see you try to slit this chimps throat. Not excusing the owner, but she was 70 years old. She should never have had the animal. I guess I just don't find the humor in some of these posts as it sounds like he ripped the woman's face off.

TheDave 02-18-2009 07:30 AM

A 200 lb wild animal who's smart enough and desperate enough to "use" a key to escape... And this lady thought a little xanax in his tea would make everything OK.

Good God this world is full of stupid people...

TheDave 02-18-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MplsBronco (Post 2294194)
Chimps are 3-7 times stronger than a human male. Plus he weighed 200 pounds which is a good sized human. I would like to see you try to slit this chimps throat. Not excusing the owner, but she was 70 years old. She should never have had the animal. I guess I just don't find the humor in some of these posts as it sounds like he ripped the woman's face off.

Foir what it's worth... Garcia uses performance enhancing drugs. This chimp is no match for him.

rugbythug 02-18-2009 07:36 AM

This lady Needed some home Defense

Shotgun>Chimpanzee

Garcia Bronco 02-18-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MplsBronco (Post 2294194)

Then she needed a method to subdue the animal. Something a professional would use. You can't make excuses for her NOT planning on this senario.

Garcia Bronco 02-18-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDave (Post 2294205)
Foir what it's worth... Garcia uses performance enhancing drugs. This chimp is no match for him.

I bet if given the situation I'd fiqure out how to kill that mother****er.

Smiling Assassin27 02-18-2009 07:41 AM

Spider has an alibi, i guess...He was in Arkansas and the victim showed no evidence of a throat punch. Spider gets away again.

TheDave 02-18-2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 2294216)
I bet if given the situation I'd fiqure out how to kill that mother****er.

Actually... I'll bet you smart enough to not own a ****ing Gorilla sized primate.

Garcia Bronco 02-18-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDave (Post 2294222)
Actually... I'll bet you smart enough to not own a ****ing Gorilla sized primate.

True, but getting past that I bet I'd figure out a way to stop the thing cold.

cutthemdown 02-18-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 2294174)

she tried dude. She stabbed the chimp in the neck with a knife, she beat it over the head, the chimp didn't stop. She just wasn't strong enough at her age to get it done.

Sad story. Keep big wild animals in the wild or an animal facility like a zoo. I used to have a Monkey but he was hard to take care of so I gave him to a guy who had a primate reserve. I'm sure it was the right thing to do.

I do have some snakes that I guess are considered wild animals but they aren't giant snakes or hot snakes so really no biggie.

I think people just like to be different and everyone has a dog or cat. For that reason people will still try and keep Chimps, Rattlesnakes, Alligators, mountain lions etc etc.

If you do keep an animal that can actually harm you if it turns you better have a plan for if it does. If I had a chimp I would probably have a stun gun, or mace, or something in case it went crazy and tried to eat my friends face.

cutthemdown 02-18-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MplsBronco (Post 2294185)

I've also heard with male chimps they will pull off a dudes genitals because in the wild without those you ain't ****.

vancejohnson82 02-18-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 2294277)
she tried dude. She stabbed the chimp in the neck with a knife, she beat it over the head, the chimp didn't stop. She just wasn't strong enough at her age to get it done.

Sad story. Keep big wild animals in the wild or an animal facility like a zoo. I used to have a Monkey but he was hard to take care of so I gave him to a guy who had a primate reserve. I'm sure it was the right thing to do.

I do have some snakes that I guess are considered wild animals but they aren't giant snakes or hot snakes so really no biggie.

I think people just like to be different and everyone has a dog or cat. For that reason people will still try and keep Chimps, Rattlesnakes, Alligators, mountain lions etc etc.

If you do keep an animal that can actually harm you if it turns you better have a plan for if it does. If I had a chimp I would probably have a stun gun, or mace, or something in case it went crazy and tried to eat my friends face.

exactly...the last part of what you said is exactly the kidn of thinking you have to have when you own an animal like this...

why would you have NOT thought about this type of a scenario?? Especially when the chimp had escaped before and you coudlnt control it??? Also, its acting rambunctious...so badly that you feel the need to subdue it with medication, yet you dont think to yourself, "hmmm, what if this goes to the next level?"

What a stupid woman...too bad her friend had to pay the price

gyldenlove 02-18-2009 09:52 AM

This happens ALL the time with Chimps. The Chimps you see in movies, on tv shows and commercials are typically about 5 to 8 years old and have been trained since they were babies. By the time they reach teenagehood they become too independent to be handled and either shot or sold to road-side zoos where they live in cages meant for small animals.

Even professional animal handlers and trainers can't handle chimps when they reach this age, what the hell was a geriatric doing with one?

Chimps are very smart and very independent when they grow up and they become very dangerous.

Check out this documentary for some really good and very sad information about chimps: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/cruelcamera/