The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Keith Brookings for MLB?? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77129)

SoDak Bronco 02-12-2009 08:48 AM

Keith Brookings for MLB??

If this guy is released do you think he can play in the 3-4? I think it is worth a look..Thoughts??

Falcons To Release Brooking?
From Dan Parr of ProFootballWeekly.com:

We hear Falcons WLB Keith Brooking is likely to be released before Feb. 23, when sources say he’s due a $1 million bonus. The Falcons’ offseason plans include revamping their defense — they are looking to add speed and fresh legs to a unit that ranked 24th last season. The 33-year-old has slowed down considerably in recent years, and it appears the club is ready to replace him after 11 seasons. Brooking has a large cap figure of $8.3 million for the 2009 season and while releasing Brooking, who went to Georgia Tech before spending his entire career with the Falcons, would be an unpopular move with the team’s fan base, GM Thomas Dimitroff won’t bring him back unless a significant pay cut is involved. We hear Brooking still thinks he can play and will explore options with other teams if he’s let go.

Smiling Assassin27 02-12-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

The 33-year-old has slowed down considerably in recent years,
This is all that is relevant. Pass.

Traveler 02-12-2009 09:02 AM

Hell No! Falcon fans can't wait till he's gone. He's on the the wrong side a mediocre career.

TonyR 02-12-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 2288809)
This is all that is relevant. Pass.

You may be right but you also may be VERY wrong. The Pats defense somehow thrived with slow, old players at the LB position (Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel). So don't completly rule players like Brooking out. We're not going to have kids at every position.

Kaylore 02-12-2009 09:12 AM

Brooking has been terrible in recent years. Falcons fans think he's the worst linebacker on the field. We don't need him here.

Drek 02-12-2009 09:18 AM

He's lost more than a few steps and has been a career 4-3 MLB. I don't see any benefit even as a backup. Our new Asst. LB coach could probably contribute more on the field than Brooking could in the 3-4.

TonyR 02-12-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 2288835)
Brooking has been terrible in recent years.

Yeah, I'm not advocating Brooking specifically but more pointing out that we can't automatically rule out vets who are on the wrong side of the career hill. You're not going to totally rebuild a defense successfully with young guys and top flight FA's. So some Brooking type players here and there are possible. Seau, among others, was certainly considered "washed up" before the Pats effectively plugged him in.

Smiling Assassin27 02-12-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 2288833)
You may be right but you also may be VERY wrong. The Pats defense somehow thrived with slow, old players at the LB position (Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel). So don't completly rule players like Brooking out. We're not going to have kids at every position.

Point taken. I was speaking specifically about Brooking. Of course there are viable vets that will be available that any team would be foolish to ignore. Brooking had a few really nice years but, like Kaylore, I really watched him decline last year.

Kaylore 02-12-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 2288849)
Yeah, I'm not advocating Brooking specifically but more pointing out that we can't automatically rule out vets who are on the wrong side of the career hill. You're not going to totally rebuild a defense successfully with young guys and top flight FA's. So some Brooking type players here and there are possible. Seau, among others, was certainly considered "washed up" before the Pats effectively plugged him in.

I don't think anyone is against the general concept of bringing in an aged vet to help out. I think most people here are suggesting Brooking himself is done and not worth it here.

vancejohnson82 02-12-2009 09:44 AM

any time a team is willing to eat money to get rid of someone....stay away

Kaylore 02-12-2009 10:28 AM

I will say if he came in for the vet minimum I wouldn't mind at all.

TheReverend 02-12-2009 10:59 AM

Even if he were at the top of his game...

We already have plenty of talented YOUNG OLB prospects we're HOPING will pan out on the inside of a 3-4 when the time comes. Why the **** would we want to grab an older version and hope?

Draft Rey.

Kaylore 02-12-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 2288960)
Draft Rey.

That kind of surprises me coming from you. Rey is exactly what we don't need: A super athlete that can't think for himself.

TheReverend 02-12-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 2288966)
That kind of surprises me coming from you. Rey is exactly what we don't need: A super athlete that can't think for himself.

I think the circumstances of his "limitations" are greatly exaggerrated on the board. Just my opinion. Also keep in mind I'm a huge USC hater and rarely miss the opportunity to knock anyone of their players or staff aside from pete carroll.

Kaylore 02-12-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 2288974)
I think the circumstances of his "limitations" are greatly exaggerrated on the board. Just my opinion. Also keep in mind I'm a huge USC hater and rarely miss the opportunity to knock anyone of their players or staff aside from pete carroll.

I hate USC too and I'd feel much more comfortable with Mathews or Cushing before Ray.

TheReverend 02-12-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 2288980)
I hate USC too and I'd feel much more comfortable with Mathews or Cushing before Ray.

I'm not particularly fond of either.

Los Broncos 02-12-2009 11:29 AM

No, stick with the young movement.

Great13 02-12-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveler (Post 2288823)
Hell No! Falcon fans can't wait till he's gone. He's on the the wrong side a mediocre career.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

eddie mac 02-12-2009 12:43 PM

If you're gonna suggest a LB that's the wrong side of 30 why not a guy who's played in a 3-4 system for 1/2 his career like Zach Thomas???

SoDak Bronco 02-12-2009 01:13 PM

I didn't say to sign him, I said it is worth a look. geez

10-19-2012 08:23 PM

Funny he is our starting MLB now 3 years later.

broncocalijohn 10-19-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco (Post 2288807)
If this guy is released do you think he can play in the 3-4? I think it is worth a look..Thoughts??

Falcons To Release Brooking?
From Dan Parr of ProFootballWeekly.com:

We hear Falcons WLB Keith Brooking is likely to be released before Feb. 23, when sources say he’s due a $1 million bonus. The Falcons’ offseason plans include revamping their defense — they are looking to add speed and fresh legs to a unit that ranked 24th last season. The 33-year-old has slowed down considerably in recent years, and it appears the club is ready to replace him after 11 seasons. Brooking...........

Funny that he is now taking time away from your state's hero, Joe Mays.

10-19-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 2288986)

more of this please

BRILLIANT!!!

TheReverend 10-19-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetland (Post 3702773)
more of this please

BRILLIANT!!!

Ugh. That's pretty brutal Ha!

10-20-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 2288986)

Oops on all 3 accounts. Rey's limitations well they were true. I don't think anyone thought Matthews would be the best of the bunch.