The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   NBA & NCAA (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Razorbacks fire Coach (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=54529)

Arkansas Bronco 03-26-2007 04:48 PM

Razorbacks fire Coach

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6612092
Arkansas coach Stan Heath was fired this afternoon after leading his team to consecutive 20-win seasons and a berth in the NCAA tournament this season, according to sources close to the Razorbacks program.

Heath was informed by Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles just hours ago and will receive a setttlement in the vicinity of $1 million.

According to the same sources, Heath will likely be replaced by Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie. One source even maintained that Gillispie has agreed in principle and could be introduced as soon as Tuesday.

Gillispie has led Texas A&M to a 70-26 record over the past three seasons. The Aggies reached the second round of the NCAA tournament last year and were eliminated in the Sweet 16 this season.

Arkansas finished 21-14 this past season and returns nearly everyone while the Aggies lose Acie Law IV and potentially big man Joseph Jones.

Jens1893 03-26-2007 04:50 PM

I thought Nutt would be out before him.

Arkansas Bronco 03-26-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens1893 (Post 1527143)
I thought Nutt would be out before him.

Our basketball is what we are known for and well he didnt make the grade. Nutt has done some twisted stuff himself but him coming from here helps out alot. Needless to say whoever gets the job better step up because the heat is always on.

SoCalBronco 03-26-2007 11:35 PM

Now that Broyles is gone as AD, you guys should bring back Nolan Richardson.

Crushaholic 03-28-2007 02:20 PM

Billy Gillespie would be a good fit, there. He's one of the most underrated coaches in America.

Crushaholic 03-30-2007 04:52 PM

So, who's next on Arkansas' radar?

cbs1177 03-31-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco (Post 1527760)
Now that Broyles is gone as AD, you guys should bring back Nolan Richardson.

Whatever he just might surround the campus with the tanks he promised before:

On the eve of his firing, Arkansas basketball coach Nolan Richardson threatened to destroy the university's reputation with "troops and tanks" reminiscent of the state's 1957 desegregation crisis, athletic director Frank Broyles said in a memo released Friday.

According to notes compiled after a Feb. 28 meeting with the coach and Chancellor John A. White, Broyles said Richardson remarked that "he didn't really want to hurt the university, but he may have to."

The university fired Richardson on March 1, four days after Richardson said for a second time that he wanted to be bought out, criticized fans and reporters and said he was treated differently because he is black.

The university released the documents Friday, saying they were also providing them to Richardson's lawyer, civil rights attorney John Walker, who had asked for them. Walker has said Richardson might take legal action in an attempt to fight his dismissal, which was upheld by the UA System president Thursday.
Advertisement

Broyles' account of the Feb. 28 meeting tracks closely with White's, which was previously released. Walker said Richardson used the military reference as an example of what the coach was trying to avoid if he ultimately was fired.

Federal troops were dispatched to Little Rock in September 1957 to ensure that nine black students could attend Central High School.

After national championship he had the job security however he screwed it up with the "us against the world mentality" that wasn't very helpful for the program.

cbs1177 04-01-2007 08:55 PM

Arkansas gets OK to talk to Tiger coach

By Dan Wolken
Contact
April 1, 2007

ATLANTA -- The University of Memphis has granted permission for Arkansas to speak with John Calipari about its vacant head basketball coaching position. But a source close to Calipari told The Commercial Appeal on Saturday night that he was not interested in the job and that there was "nothing there." Arkansas has been making overtures toward several big-name coaches this weekend as it looks to replace Stan Heath, who was fired last week.

In a phone interview Saturday night, Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson said he received a call on Friday afternoon from Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles asking for permission to talk to Calipari. Johnson said he granted permission but did not know whether Calipari had subsequently spoken to Arkansas officials. It was unclear whether Calipari and Broyles met in Atlanta before Broyles returned to Fayetteville on Saturday
"I'm not sure," Johnson said. "I think they have (spoken)."
Johnson said he talked to Calipari by phone on Saturday and that Arkansas did not come up.
"We talked about our program and what we were trying to do," Johnson said. "We didn't go there."
After Memphis ended its season in the Elite Eight last Saturday, Calipari said he wasn't interested in any other jobs and quickly agreed to a one-year contract extension after meeting with Johnson. Calipari was expected to sign that extension once he returned to Memphis after the Final Four.
Calipari was in the Georgia Dome on Saturday watching the national semifinal games and could not be reached for comment.

cbs1177 04-01-2007 08:58 PM

And Arkansas's take on the story:

Altman, Calipari in mix

Arkansas shows interest in both

By Scott Cain
Sunday, April 1, 2007
FAYETTEVILLE — A new basketball coach is expected to be named at Arkansas perhaps as soon as today, but whom it will be remained uncertain Saturday night.
Arkansas Athletic Director Frank Broyles, who is conducting the search, talked to Creigthon’s Dana Altman and Memphis’ John Calipari during a trip to Atlanta where coaches have gathered for a convention and the Final Four. Broyles spent Friday there and returned to Fayetteville around 5 p.m. Saturday.
It’s unlikely that Broyles would have returned if he did not have an agreement in principle with a coach or was on the verge of finalizing a deal.
For more information see today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

cbs1177 04-03-2007 01:56 AM

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) -- For 13 years, Dana Altman was content at Creighton, helping the Bluejays win 20 games season after season.
Now, Altman has finally found another job that appeals to him -- coaching the Arkansas Razorbacks.
"I've had conversations with a number of schools," Altman said. "I just felt like at 48 years of age, the time was right. ... But more importantly, it was the opportunity. Arkansas has great tradition."
Altman was named the Razorbacks' new basketball coach Monday, ending their weeklong search to replace the fired Stan Heath, who was announced Monday as the new coach at South Florida. Altman was 260-141 at Creighton. The Nebraska school went 22-11 this season for its ninth straight 20-win season, a Missouri Valley Conference record.
Altman was introduced at a news conference in Bud Walton Arena, with athletic director Frank Broyles leading a "Pig Sooie" cheer. Altman might need some tutoring on that famous tradition -- and he was quick to look back on his days at Creighton.
"You don't stay in a place 13 years, and in 72 hours change your feelings about a special place and a special group of players that I had," Altman said. "So today, although I'm very excited, has also been very tough."
Altman is 343-208 in 18 years at the Division I level. He coached at Marshall and Kansas State before going to Creighton. He has been linked to other jobs in the past -- such as Illinois and Minnesota -- but the Bluejays managed to keep him until now.

Arkansas Bronco 04-03-2007 10:01 AM

I cant even believe you bit into that Calipari rumor. He just re-upped his contract for another couple years last week. Also I am not excited at all about getting creightons coach. I wanted a big name this time.

GonzoLays 04-03-2007 03:42 PM

I bet you boys really miss Nolan Richardson.

Arkansas Bronco 04-03-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoLays (Post 1537009)
I bet you boys really miss Nolan Richardson.

Personaly I always liked the way he coached. His team was weak and it needed rebuilding but no I didnt agree with him being fired.

cbs1177 04-03-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkansas Bronco (Post 1536631)
I cant even believe you bit into that Calipari rumor. He just re-upped his contract for another couple years last week. Also I am not excited at all about getting creightons coach. I wanted a big name this time.

Didn't really bite into it. Calipari extended his contract for another year so should be coach till 2010 or 2011 at U of M. I forget. No Calipari and Memphis seem to do this dance every year after every season. I honestly didn't think he would go b/c all is coming back to his team except for Hunt so his strongest team and chance to make it all the way next year. I just don't know how rumors go from Calipari to actual Dana Altman.

Arkansas Bronco 04-04-2007 07:40 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2824653

And the hunt continues.

Crushaholic 04-04-2007 02:15 PM

Arkansas isn't a bad job. It's not really a football powerhouse, so basketball could still reign like it did with Nolan Richardson. It's truly amazing that the search is this difficult...

Arkansas Bronco 04-04-2007 02:51 PM

I mean it didnt really surprise me, about Altman that is. Dude looked miserable when they were calling the hogs when he was introduced.

Arkansas Bronco 04-09-2007 02:33 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2830349

Uh John Pelphrey from South Alabama is now the new front runner. Dear gosh I wish we would have landed Altman now.

Arkie 04-10-2007 06:07 PM

I wanted Nolan's assistant Mike Anderson, but they wanted to cut all ties to Nolan. Anderson went on to take UAB to the NCAA tourney 3 out of 4 times and made it to the sweet 16. Instead, we got Heath who finally took Arkansas to the big dance for the first time this year.

Arkansas Bronco 04-10-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkie (Post 1545390)
I wanted Nolan's assistant Mike Anderson, but they wanted to cut all ties to Nolan. Anderson went on to take UAB to the NCAA tourney 3 out of 4 times and made it to the sweet 16. Instead, we got Heath who finally took Arkansas to the big dance for the first time this year.

Yea but the way we cut ties with Nolan I dont think Anderson would have came here no matter what. Him and Nolan have a very very strong relationship.