The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   General Baseball Thread 2007 (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=53173)

Clockwork Orange 02-16-2007 12:48 AM

General Baseball Thread 2007

Spring trainings are opening up, so it's time to start talking small ball. We've always kept a general hockey thread going, so I figure we can do the same with baseball.

So get in here all you seamheads, bleacher bums and roto geeks. The season is just weeks away. :)

Hogan11 02-16-2007 12:57 AM

Since the Flyers suck this year and I'm not into basketball or NASCAR....March is going to be kinda hard to take.

As a Pirates fan, I'm excited by the moves the team made and think they can actually compete this year in the NL Central barring injury.

DBroncos4life 02-16-2007 01:08 AM

who do you keep Arroyo or Bedard?

-Slap- 02-16-2007 01:12 AM

The Pirates are definitely improved. I think the rotation and everyday lineup are each better than they have been in years. The bullpen is weaker, but Capps might step up and change that. They played over .500 ball over the last 70 games or so and I think its not unreasonable they could do that over an entire season. Very tough division, though.

-Slap- 02-16-2007 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 1483589)
who do you keep Arroyo or Bedard?

I trust Bedard more and I think he has a higher ceiling.

I don't know if I would keep either of them, though.

How many keepers do you get?

SouthStndJunkie 02-16-2007 01:37 AM

Let's go Tigers!

DBroncos4life 02-16-2007 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Slap- (Post 1483594)

I don't know if I would keep either of them, though.

How many keepers do you get?

Im keeping Natan, Pettite, Zambrano, and Beckett. Arroyo is the 16th rated pitcher in that league so I'm leaning towards him just because I think I have a better chance at getting Bedard in the draft. I'm very high on Bedard and I worry that the NL will catch on to Arroyo as well but still early on I think I could move him if he is pitching well. I have Pedro but I can't afford to wait on him and Colon is too iffy to keep. The other guy that I like is Ervin Santana, but I just don't know about him right now. As is I have the third best pitching staff in my division. I guess thats what I get for setting out a year during a keep league. (more like forced out a year)

SoCalBronco 02-16-2007 02:19 AM

Go Pale Hose.

Taco John 02-16-2007 04:00 AM

Thank God for fantasy baseball, because I'd never be able to make it through a season if I had to rely on the Mariners to keep my interest. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mariner fan and enjoy getting to a game when I can. But baseball seasons are long, and all that losing really wears on you. And it's looking like it's going to be another loooooooong season.

Hogan11 02-16-2007 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Slap- (Post 1483592)
The Pirates are definitely improved. I think the rotation and everyday lineup are each better than they have been in years. The bullpen is weaker, but Capps might step up and change that. They played over .500 ball over the last 70 games or so and I think its not unreasonable they could do that over an entire season. Very tough division, though.

I generally agree but I'm not buying the bullpen is weaker thing. I know Gonzalez was solid as a closer, but he was also lost during that 70 game stretch due to an elbow injury and they got along just fine without him....Capps, Torres, Marte, Grabow et.al can and will be just as strong and will get the job done...barring injury of course.

Jens1893 02-16-2007 12:18 PM

CO, Holliday will get paid ... by whom is the question.

Bronco LB 59 02-16-2007 03:12 PM

Plenty of news out there and pitchers/catchers have only reported....

Keith Foulke retires.

Kerry Wood injured. What's new. This time slipping getting out of a hot tub.

Mike Mussina started the Bronx Zoo **** storm on the first day by throwing his teammate Carl Pavano under the bus.

Daisuke Mania is unreal.

spdirty 02-16-2007 03:17 PM

Spring Training already? damnit!

-Slap- 02-16-2007 03:17 PM

Barry Zito says he's going to change his pitching motion and Giant pitching coach Dave Righetti is already predicting an arm injury for him.

Clockwork Orange 02-16-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens1893 (Post 1483980)
CO, Holliday will get paid ... by whom is the question.

:moody:

Taco John 02-16-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Slap- (Post 1483594)

Bedard and Jared Waver are my boys! I picked both of these guys up last year as free agents, and they both gave my pitching staff a huge boost. I got Bedard when he was considered pond scum, and he did nothing but deliver the goods all season long after that.

WABronco 02-16-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 1483662)
Thank God for fantasy baseball, because I'd never be able to make it through a season if I had to rely on the Mariners to keep my interest. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mariner fan and enjoy getting to a game when I can. But baseball seasons are long, and all that losing really wears on you. And it's looking like it's going to be another loooooooong season.

As bad as it looked, the rotation rebuild actually dramatically improved the staff. Gone is Pineiroid. Gone is Gil. Gone are any thoughts of Cha Baek or Woods in the rotation. The Weaver signing is actually pretty damn good, and there's a good chance we surprise and pitch league-average or so.

There's a lot of "ifs" (as always), but if Jose Guillen is healthy and if Beltre and Ichiro carry over and if Yuni and Lopez progress and if Felix doesn't do anything rash...etc...there's room for some optimism IMO.

NaptownChief 02-16-2007 04:16 PM

I saw that the Reds brought in Josh Hamilton, DRays #1 overall pick and former drug burn out, to camp under rule 5. Decent chance he makes the squad now that Kearns and Willy Mo were delt last year. And gawd knows they need to get Adam Dunn out of there and put somewhere his glove can't hurt them as bad.

Garcia Bronco 02-16-2007 04:20 PM

I hope Bonds, the greatest player ever, breaks the record this year.

Drek 02-16-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 1484327)
I hope Bonds, the greatest ****head ever, blows his cover this year.

Fixed that for you.

I hope he gets to 754 then the feds throw him in jail. That'd be beautiful.

Pendejo 02-16-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaptownChief (Post 1484324)
I saw that the Reds brought in Josh Hamilton, DRays #1 overall pick and former drug burn out, to camp under rule 5. Decent chance he makes the squad now that Kearns and Willy Mo were delt last year. And gawd knows they need to get Adam Dunn out of there and put somewhere his glove can't hurt them as bad.

San Diego.

-Slap- 02-16-2007 04:57 PM

Always productive when the so-called moderators troll the threads in this dump.

Billy Clyde Puckett 02-16-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drek (Post 1484368)
Fixed that for you.

I hope he gets to 754 then the feds throw him in jail. That'd be beautiful.

I'd love that.

Billy Clyde Puckett 02-16-2007 05:12 PM

Does anyone have an honest assessment of Hirsh and Buchholz, the pitchers the Rockies received in the Jennings trade?

broncswin 02-16-2007 05:24 PM

My Dodgers are gonna make some noise this year with the addition of schmidt, their rotation could be tought to beat, and the added veteran leadership of Gonzo will be big for the young sticks such as: Kemp, Eithier, Bettemit and others. GO DODGER BLUE!!!!!!!!!