The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   MLB (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Barry Zito (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=50996)

Jens1893 12-19-2006 09:34 AM

Barry Zito
 
Where will he end up and more importantly, how much will he cost?

The Mets have scheduled a meeting with Zito and Boras in LA. Boras must feel more comfortable here as he can now actually play teams against each other whereas he couldn´t do that with Matsuzaka.

-Slap- 12-28-2006 01:52 PM

He signed with the Giants.

Smelvin 12-28-2006 02:16 PM

WAYYY overpaid, but I still like it nonetheless. A rotation of Cain, Zito, Lincecum, Lowry, Sanchez in due time has the makings of a something special.

Bronco LB 59 12-28-2006 04:30 PM

Richest deal for a pitcher in history. The only pitcher in baseball that is worth that kind of money is Johan Santana and I think he could get close to $200 million in this market.

Jens1893 12-28-2006 04:32 PM

I was thinking he´d go to New York ...

Natedog24 12-28-2006 09:40 PM

Basically the Giants just replaced Schmidt with someone who has put up worst numbers in his career and someone who costs a lot more. It plugs a hole, but they overpaid for him big time.

24champ 12-28-2006 10:14 PM

Some stuff from Keith Law on ESPN INsider -

Quote:

If you're going to hand out the largest contract ever given to a pitcher, it probably should be to one of the best starting pitchers in the game, right? Seems like Baseball 101.

The Giants missed that memo.

Sure, Barry Zito is a good fit in San Francisco's big, pitcher-friendly ballpark, and in the short term he pushes the Giants to fringe-contender status. But from the club's perspective, this is one of the worst contracts ever signed, for its length, for its annual salary and for the entire misguided notion that Zito is this good a pitcher. He's been the beneficiary of a favorable ballpark with lots of foul territory, a favorable schedule, great bullpen support and outstanding outfield defense -- and he's not going to receive either the defense or the relief help in San Francisco.

The contract boggles the mind for a number of reasons:

• Why would anyone give seven or more years to a starting pitcher? Because Kevin Brown and Mike Hampton worked out so well?

• Why would anyone give such a long contract to a pitcher whose fastball has already shown signs of deterioration, and who just posted the second-worst strikeout rate of his career?

• How did Barry Zito, who nearly led the AL in walks last season, end up with the reputation of one of the best pitchers in baseball? Because he won a Cy Young five years ago -- one that probably should have gone to Pedro Martinez?

The Giants might get a great year or two at some point in this deal, but on the whole, it's going to be an albatross around the neck of the successor to GM Brian Sabean. This club has been on the edge of the precipice for years now, with the worst farm system in baseball and one of the oldest rosters in the majors, and committing long-term to a guy who at best is a No. 3 starter on a contender is madness.
:giggle: Zito is grossly overrated, and this signing is really gonna bite the Giants in the ass. And I ****ing love it. Giant fans can bite me.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3...sstatuejj5.jpg

Bronco LB 59 12-29-2006 12:58 AM

Quote:

• Why would anyone give such a long contract to a pitcher whose fastball has already shown signs of deterioration, and who just posted the second-worst strikeout rate of his career?
That sounds a lot like Schmidt, too.;D

The Diamondbacks and Padres have claim to the top three pitchers in the division.

24champ 12-29-2006 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 (Post 1421180)
That sounds a lot like Schmidt, too.;D

The Diamondbacks and Padres have claim to the top three pitchers in the division.

Hilarious! Whoa whoa whoa buddy. Schmidt is a good pitcher (not great) but we signed him to a fairly good contract (length) given the market for pitchers. Zito's contract is going to cripple this Midgets team that is already going nowhere and no sign of hope in the future(farm system is dry).

Dodgers have the best rotation in the division IMO, who cares about the top three?;D

Smelvin 12-29-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog24 (Post 1421023)
Basically the Giants just replaced Schmidt with someone who has put up worst numbers in his career and someone who costs a lot more. It plugs a hole, but they overpaid for him big time.

You gotta love it when a guy posts the worst numbers of his career and it's a 3.80 ERA. In the NL that equates to 3.20. I'll take that.

Overpaid, no doubt. But the entire market is overpaid. Atleast Zito has flawless mechanics and is the best bet of any SP in the majors to take his turn every 5th day. Durability is GOLD, and that's what they paid for. Schmidt has been on the DL at one time or another every year the past 4 years. He is now 33. He's a pitcher who relies on sheer power yet his fastball that once was 98 is now 92. His best days are long gone.

As crazy as this sounds, this is a safe move for the Giants. They know what they're paying for. Can the Dodgers say the same about Schmidt or Penny?

Smelvin 12-29-2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 (Post 1421180)

The Diamondbacks and Padres have claim to the top three pitchers in the division.

Matt Cain will be the best pitcher in the NL West for the next decade. Bank on it.

Natedog24 12-29-2006 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smelvin (Post 1421553)
You gotta love it when a guy posts the worst numbers of his career and it's a 3.80 ERA. In the NL that equates to 3.20. I'll take that.

Overpaid, no doubt. But the entire market is overpaid. Atleast Zito has flawless mechanics and is the best bet of any SP in the majors to take his turn every 5th day. Durability is GOLD, and that's what they paid for. Schmidt has been on the DL at one time or another every year the past 4 years. He is now 33. He's a pitcher who relies on sheer power yet his fastball that once was 98 is now 92. His best days are long gone.

As crazy as this sounds, this is a safe move for the Giants. They know what they're paying for. Can the Dodgers say the same about Schmidt or Penny?

Actually Zito's worst year was in 04 where he put up a 4.48 ERA and an 11-11 record. However, I agree that durability will be his strength...

Injuries are going to play a key role in who wins NL West, if the Dodgers can keep their pitching staff healthy and continue to develop their young lineup, I give them the slight edge over the rest of teams in the NLW. I really like what the Dodgers have produced from their farm system of late.

24champ 12-29-2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smelvin (Post 1421559)
Matt Cain will be the best pitcher in the NL West for the next decade. Bank on it.

I disagree, Young on the Padres will.

Smelvin 12-29-2006 07:53 PM

Young is very good, but Cain will be great. Curt Schilling great. And if he can stay healthy, Peavy is a better pitcher than Young. But he can't. Unless he changes his violent delivery, he'll be under the same knife Liriano is under right now.

Contrary to popular belief, injuries to pitchers are predictable. Peavy is next.

FADERPROOF 12-30-2006 12:56 PM

Giants made this move to sew up the hole of Jason Schmidt, and it's the market that got Zito this contract, if not the Giants then the Mets or Rangers would've blown this kind of money on him.

I like Zito, but he isn't a dominant pitcher. He relies on his offspeed pitches, fastball only gets around 88 MPH, and gets inconsistent when that awesome deuce isn't working for him.

So 126 mill to a guy that you hope that he brings his curveball with him every single time he goes out there, or be prepared to get 7 runs hung up on you iby the 3rd inning.

Smelvin 12-30-2006 09:15 PM

I agree with all of that. Zito isn't a #1, but sure is getting paid like it. Thankfully Matt Cain is making the league minimum for the next 5 years.

I like Zito, don't love him. But he'll take the ball every turn and should put up an ERA in the low 3's. I'll take that given the circumstances.

Bronco LB 59 12-30-2006 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smelvin (Post 1421559)
Matt Cain will be the best pitcher in the NL West for the next decade. Bank on it.

Bank on it?!!!

Cain is 22 years old. You can never count on long-term production from a young pitcher no matter how clean and flawless their mechanics are.

-Slap- 12-31-2006 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24champbailey (Post 1422027)
I disagree, Young on the Padres will.

Young is very underrated among all the young pitchers out there right now.

FADERPROOF 01-27-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smelvin (Post 1423044)
I agree with all of that. Zito isn't a #1, but sure is getting paid like it. Thankfully Matt Cain is making the league minimum for the next 5 years.

I like Zito, don't love him. But he'll take the ball every turn and should put up an ERA in the low 3's. I'll take that given the circumstances.

Whatever happened to Jesse Foppert? Dude looked like the next big stud pitcher in the league about 2 years ago.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.