The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   MLB (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Rockies management in screw up shocker! (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=48513)

Jens1893 10-25-2006 11:50 AM

Rockies management in screw up shocker!

It apparently was on ESPN Radio before Game 3 of the World Series last night and according to one of the guys the Rockies a few years ago discussed the following trade with the Toronto Blue Jays

Pedro Astacio and Jose Jimenez for Chris Carpenter, Vernon Wells AND Roy Halladay

Rockies management then apparently decided not to pull the trigger as they felt Astacio was too popular with the fans. Can this be true? Apart from the fact Carpenter and Halladay probably wouldīve bombed and left once they wanted to make more than minimum wage, this couldīve been a trade of Forsberg-esque proportions.

WABronco 10-25-2006 12:33 PM

Rox fans...kill yourselves now.

Clockwork Orange 10-25-2006 01:04 PM

I don't believe it because I don't want to. It can't be true. It just can't. Can it?

However, I do know that back when the Expos were shopping Pedro Martinez, they offered him to the Rockies for Jon Thompson and Jamey Wright and the Rockies said no. When Jim Edmonds was on his way out of Anaheim, the Rockies could have had him, but their response was "they had no need for him."

I could go on, but this is making me want to weep.

fido 10-25-2006 07:39 PM

quality front office we got there

24champ 10-25-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange (Post 1328129)
I don't believe it because I don't want to. It can't be true. It just can't. Can it?

However, I do know that back when the Expos were shopping Pedro Martinez, they offered him to the Rockies for Jon Thompson and Jamey Wright and the Rockies said no. When Jim Edmonds was on his way out of Anaheim, the Rockies could have had him, but their response was "they had no need for him."

I could go on, but this is making me want to weep.

Who the **** is your GM? Whoever it is, is making Depo (Depodesta the former Dodgers GM who basically pissed off every Dodger fan on the planet for one year) look like a ****ing genius.

theAPAOps5 10-25-2006 08:42 PM

The rockies would have had to pay them too much and current ownership just doesn't want to spend money anymore. That is why they are shoving all this home grown young BS down our throat. Fact of the matter is when some of our talent gets to the end of their contracts they will get big offers elsewhere and you can say bye-bye to them. Its the ownership they need to sell the team to someone who is ready to risk some money for a return.

Breck Bronc 10-26-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens1893 (Post 1328023)
It apparently was on ESPN Radio before Game 3 of the World Series last night and according to one of the guys the Rockies a few years ago discussed the following trade with the Toronto Blue Jays

Pedro Astacio and Jose Jimenez for Chris Carpenter, Vernon Wells AND Roy Halladay

Rockies management then apparently decided not to pull the trigger as they felt Astacio was too popular with the fans. Can this be true? Apart from the fact Carpenter and Halladay probably wouldīve bombed and left once they wanted to make more than minimum wage, this couldīve been a trade of Forsberg-esque proportions.

Who reported this? I'm not sure I can believe it since Pedro Astacio was never that popular with the fans to begin with. And he wouldn't have been nearly as popular as Roy Halladay, who pitched for Denver suburban high school Arvada West.

Jens1893 10-26-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breck Bronc (Post 1329497)
Who reported this? I'm not sure I can believe it since Pedro Astacio was never that popular with the fans to begin with. And he wouldn't have been nearly as popular as Roy Halladay, who pitched for Denver suburban high school Arvada West.

Dave Campbell.

Billy Clyde Puckett 10-26-2006 12:44 PM

Campbell was on the Rockies broadcast crew for a couple of years. Was it during this time period. I can't remember.

Hercules Rockefeller 10-26-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breck Bronc (Post 1329497)
And he wouldn't have been nearly as popular as Roy Halladay, who pitched for Denver suburban high school Arvada West.

No ****. A local making good with the home team will always up someone's popularity level, Halladay's popularity would have been off the charts.