The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   MLB (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Joe Girardi (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=47007)

DomCasual 09-22-2006 01:16 PM

Joe Girardi

What do you guys think of him? Would you be for or against seeing him back in purple pinstripes, managing the Rockies?

I realize it's a purely hypothetical question, since ownership seems to have a bizarre blind loyalty to Clint Hurdle. It just amazes me that Jeffrey Loria would get rid of a guy that turned a bunch of no-names into playoff contenders.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2598362

Quote:

MIAMI -- Joe Girardi has a chance to win National League Manager of the Year, but it seems he has no chance to return to the Florida Marlins next season.

According to a report in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Girardi will be out as Marlins manager after just one season.

The report identified a source close to the Marlins front office who described Girardi's chances of returning as Florida's manager a "zero" on a scale of one to 10.

"I don't think there is any chance," the source told the newspaper.

With two years left on his contract, Girardi would be owed $1.5 million if he is not picked up by another club. With Dusty Baker on the hot seat with the Chicago Cubs, Girardi, a Northwestern grad and Windy City native has been rumored as Baker's replacement.

The Marlins already have identified possible replacements for Girardi, the report said, including a trio of third base coaches: Fredi Gonzalez (Atlanta), Joey Cora (Chicago White Sox) and Manny Acta (New York Mets).

Girardi's imminent departure seems to be a culmination of events that have him and the Florida front office at odds.

The manager and Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria have had a frosty relationship this season. Girardi was nearly fired after an Aug. 6 game against the Los Angeles Dodgers when he and bench coach Gary Tuck scolded Loria for yelling at umpires from his field-level seat.

According to the source, Girardi and general manager Larry Beinfest "barely speak" and do not communicate about team decisions on a regular basis.

"His introverted behavior and lack of people skills have caused most of the problems," the source said of Girardi, who spent one season as Yankees bench coach after a 15-year playing career. "Both sides are at fault."

However, the source said the front office is pointing to specific in-game decisions that ultimately may lead to Girardi's demise.

Fighting for a wild-card spot, the source described Marlins management as "shocked" that Girardi brought back rookie-sensation Josh Johnson after an 82-minute rain delay on Sept. 12 against the New York Mets. The righthander left the game four innings later with cramping in his forearm and was later shelved for the season with a strained ligament.

Girardi also was criticized for inserting reserve outfielder Reggie Abercrombie as a defensive replacement in Sunday's 8-7 loss against Atlanta. Florida's 10th-inning collapse was aided by two Abercrombie errors that opened the door for a five-run inning.

Marlins president David Samson appeared this week on ESPN and said the team would evaluate Girardi at the end of the season, but the source said that process already has been completed.

Despite the manager's problems, Florida has been one of the biggest surprises in baseball. With a miniscule $15 million payroll and 22 rookies, Girardi has Florida (76-77) in playoff contention, four games behind the Dodgers in the NL wild-card race with nine games remaining.

Breck Bronc 09-22-2006 04:18 PM

Hurdle needs to go, but Girardi isn't the answer for Colorado. It doesn't matter because he'll be in Chicago next year.

I watch a lot of Marlins games and Girardi isn't a very good manager and gets too much credit for Florida's historic in-season turnaround.

-Slap- 09-22-2006 06:09 PM

He has to get some credit for the Marlins turnaround. I know Cub fans are dying to sign him, but I think management isn't as keen on the idea.

Breck Bronc 09-22-2006 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Slap- (Post 1283572)
He has to get some credit for the Marlins turnaround. I know Cub fans are dying to sign him, but I think management isn't as keen on the idea.

Everyone involved with the team gets some credit, but the main argument against Girardi is that he didn't want to use young arms like Josh Johnson and Anibel Sanchez in the rotation and didn't want Miguel Olivo, Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla to be starters at C, SS and 2B. Larry Beinfest had to force him to play the young talent at his disposal.

-Slap- 09-23-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breck Bronc (Post 1283649)
Everyone involved with the team gets some credit, but the main argument against Girardi is that he didn't want to use young arms like Josh Johnson and Anibel Sanchez in the rotation and didn't want Miguel Olivo, Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla to be starters at C, SS and 2B. Larry Beinfest had to force him to play the young talent at his disposal.

That's not good. I didn't know Josh Johnson was injured in such a stupid and unecessary manner, either.

It was amazing that all these Marlin rookies busted out and Jeremy Hermida wasn't among them. He never showed anything this year, did he? Do you think he was overhyped or is he just taking his time to get there?

dbroncos78087 09-23-2006 04:25 PM

Joe Girardi should get more respect than Loria is giving him, i hope he goes somewhere and gets them to the playoffs and can rub it in Lorias face.

Rascal 10-03-2006 10:00 AM

He was just fired. Played with 22 rookies and finished with that record?

Maybe the Rockies should give him a call after they fire Dan O'Dowd.

Bronco LB 59 10-03-2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 1296782)
He was just fired. Played with 22 rookies and finished with that record?

Maybe the Rockies should give him a call after they fire Dan O'Dowd.

Unbelievable. Loria strikes again. How does he ever expect to establish a fan base or gain any support for a new ballpark when they contiuously do **** like this. It's a nice message to send to your organization about how you reward success.

The baseball writers are probably going to recognize Girardi as the NL Manager of the Year.

DomCasual 10-04-2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 (Post 1296822)
Unbelievable. Loria strikes again. How does he ever expect to establish a fan base or gain any support for a new ballpark when they contiuously do **** like this. It's a nice message to send to your organization about how you reward success.

The baseball writers are probably going to recognize Girardi as the NL Manager of the Year.

Hey, what's more important? Winning? Or the owner getting his feelers hurt? You have to be fair. As a fan, you can't expect an owner like Luria to put his personal feelings above putting a winning product on the field.

Hogan11 10-04-2006 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In case you didn't know it...Loria is the ultimate evil in sports ownership.....even surpassing Greasy Al and bumbling incompetents like Bill Bidwell. Yes, he's that bad. I wish the very worst on The Marlins organization as long as they represent that lecherous, scheming, underhanded chubbo and his Minime stepson

OrangeShadow 10-05-2006 04:19 AM

he'll be in chicago in no time