The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Photoshop Tutorials (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Tutorial 5: TV Scanlines (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=34713)

Rock Chalk 12-13-2005 09:11 AM

Tutorial 5: TV Scanlines

This is a really simple very cool tutorial that allows you to take a photograph and turn it into a TV Screen capture shot.

Step 1: Open a new document 1 pixel by 2 pixels with a transparent background.

Step 2: Zoom in to the maximum amount so that you can see what you are doing. Select the pencil tool (4th tool down on the right side of the tool's window, second option).

Step 3: Make black your selected color and make a dot in the top pixel (2 pixels tall, one wide remember) so that your 1x2 image is a black pixel above a transparent pixel.

Step 4: Go Menu: Edit-->Define Pattern. Name it "Scanlines"

Step 5: Open whatever image you want to do this on. Create a new blank layer. Go to Menu: Edit-->Fill... Under Contents use "Pattern" then where it reads "Custom Pattern" click the arrow next to it and choose the pattern you made. Press OK.

All done.

Play2win 12-13-2005 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlecRaenos
This is a really simple very cool tutorial that allows you to take a photograph and turn it into a TV Screen capture shot.

Step 1: Open a new document 1 pixel by 2 pixels with a transparent background.

Step 2: Zoom in to the maximum amount so that you can see what you are doing. Select the pencil tool (4th tool down on the right side of the tool's window, second option).

Step 3: Make black your selected color and make a dot in the top pixel (2 pixels tall, one wide remember) so that your 1x2 image is a black pixel above a transparent pixel.

Step 4: Go Menu: Edit-->Define Pattern. Name it "Scanlines"

Step 5: Open whatever image you want to do this on. Create a new blank layer. Go to Menu: Edit-->Fill... Under Contents use "Pattern" then where it reads "Custom Pattern" click the arrow next to it and choose the pattern you made. Press OK.

All done.

Oh, yes, the world of scanlines, grids and perspective grids... ;D

Grids and Scanlines are one of those things you can put into almost any design...

Master___Pain 12-13-2005 10:52 AM

Hmm, I am having trouble "defining pattern" Does the "scanlines" canvas need to be flattened? Selected? I can not get to where I can name the defined pattern. I click on "Define Pattern" and nothing happens. A little help here.

Rock Chalk 12-13-2005 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master___Pain
Hmm, I am having trouble "defining pattern" Does the "scanlines" canvas need to be flattened? Selected? I can not get to where I can name the defined pattern. I click on "Define Pattern" and nothing happens. A little help here.

What version of PS are you using?>

Master___Pain 12-13-2005 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlecRaenos
What version of PS are you using?>

5.5 I believe, it's an older version, as the screen shots you have posted are slightly different than what shows up on my program.

Rock Chalk 12-13-2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master___Pain
5.5 I believe, it's an older version, as the screen shots you have posted are slightly different than what shows up on my program.

Hmm, Im not sure how to help you as I never used Adobe before 6.0 came out.

Upgrade :D

Jens1893 12-13-2005 05:14 PM

Thanks as always, Alec. And this a thank you for all other tutorials, too.

Sodak 02-01-2006 03:19 PM

Why would you add scanlines? That's usually the stuff I'm trying to get rid of.

Do you have a lesson on getting rid of scanlines?

Rock Chalk 02-08-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodak
Why would you add scanlines? That's usually the stuff I'm trying to get rid of.

Do you have a lesson on getting rid of scanlines?

Why add them? I think there are several signatures on this board that utilize scan lines very well in their signatures.

As for getting rid of them, its a very tenuous process and I know of no easy way to do it.

Sodak 02-09-2006 08:26 PM

Yep, that's what I thought. Bummer. The business I'm in demands clean images for most applications, unfortunately most people bring me crap JPEG's, or worse digital prints with horrible scan lines.

Thanks anyway Alec...

Rock Chalk 02-10-2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodak
Yep, that's what I thought. Bummer. The business I'm in demands clean images for most applications, unfortunately most people bring me crap JPEG's, or worse digital prints with horrible scan lines.

Thanks anyway Alec...

What do you do?

I think Im going to show people how to make a web template next. Adobe is cool like that.

minibronco 02-21-2006 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's supposed to look like this, right?

Check your PMs Alec!!