The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Announcements, Features and Feedback (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Why Does The Board Go Down...... (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=34615)

GreatBronco16 12-11-2005 08:42 PM

Why Does The Board Go Down......

After every game now for the last couple of weeks? This is the first time I've been able to get on since the KC game ended, and it has done this the last three weeks now. What gives?

Northman 12-11-2005 08:44 PM

I was wondering that also. I thought we fixed all these problems with the server and all.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN 12-11-2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatBronco16
After every game now for the last couple of weeks? This is the first time I've been able to get on since the KC game ended, and it has done this the last three weeks now. What gives?

Same thing happened to me.

Maybe the server can't handle the traffic or something.

Mile High Shack 12-11-2005 08:44 PM

you'd think with a dedicated server, this wouldn't happen

Northman 12-11-2005 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Shack
you'd think with a dedicated server, this wouldn't happen

Yea, as great as this board is when this happens it is most annoying. Especially when it keeps on happening all the time.

Finger Roll 12-11-2005 08:53 PM

and it happens at the worst times. After We won and the chargers and chiefs choked

Goobzilla 12-11-2005 08:56 PM

I agree...it always happens at horrible times. I'm sure the traffic spikes right after a game, but geez. Is there a way to close the board to guests for a couple hours after the game ends? Would that even help?

Mtbrncofn 12-11-2005 09:08 PM

Good to know I wasn't the only one experiencing it. It's way more fun to celebrate or commiserate if need be, right after the game.

Pezman 12-11-2005 09:15 PM

Well, all I know is that in 2003,
after games, we'd see roughly 50-100 (as I recall) members sign up after games or even on gamedays.

Last year, that number doubled and we saw between 100-200 members hit the site up on gamedays.

This year, the Mane has gone so big, that we average over 400-500 member views right after the game and on gamedays. Its clear the sheer numbers are just crushing the server. Hell, even 250 people viewing at one time would crush most dedicated servers IMO.

But that's just coming from an outside observation here. I'm sure there is even more involved including bandwidth etc...

Taco John 12-11-2005 09:43 PM

We're on a low end dedicated server, and the amount of traffic after the games pretty well brings it to its knees. We're hitting 400-500 registered users after the game, and to put that in perspective, registered users only constitute about 1/3 of the traffic we receive.

I have plans to upgrade to the high end, but it's out of reach right now...

Blueflame 12-11-2005 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pezman
Well, all I know is that in 2003,
after games, we'd see roughly 50-100 (as I recall) members sign up after games or even on gamedays.

Last year, that number doubled and we saw between 100-200 members hit the site up on gamedays.

This year, the Mane has gone so big, that we average over 400-500 member views right after the game and on gamedays. Its clear the sheer numbers are just crushing the server. Hell, even 250 people viewing at one time would crush most dedicated servers IMO.

But that's just coming from an outside observation here. I'm sure there is even more involved including bandwidth etc...

Yep... a quick glance at the board stats on the main index page shows that nearly 400 members have visited the Mane today. Currently there are 150+ people on the site... 80-some members and 70-some guests. Using those numbers as a guideline, a ballpark estimate of the traffic here would be around 750 or so (400 members + maybe 350 guests)...

Jens1893 12-12-2005 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
We're on a low end dedicated server, and the amount of traffic after the games pretty well brings it to its knees. We're hitting 400-500 registered users after the game, and to put that in perspective, registered users only constitute about 1/3 of the traffic we receive.

Would disabling the register button on game days and only letting registered members read maybe solve the problem?

REB 12-12-2005 08:52 AM

Yea, I'm getting a little sick and tired of not being able to read about how bad we suck right after the game............

OrangeShadow 12-12-2005 10:41 AM

i dont see a need to get a high end server right away. i mean the sites down for waht the day of the game?
its kind of good in a sense it lets people calm down after a win/loss.

broncosteven 12-13-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John

Too bad a couple of us could not host this in our basement spread out over the US on different ISP's. I would do it for free Internet access. I can provide hardware would need help with Server config though. I am Microsoft guy. I have IIS running where Boob would be sleeping (next to sump pump) right now. Nothing much on it though I shut down the service due to viruses & worm attacks.