Let the countdown to Spring ball begin!
Recruiting is pretty much over, asides from a few late signings, and spring ball doesn't start for a few months..so whats to do? Start pointless topics, of course! I'll start.
For you Big XII fans here...rank in order your hatred of Big XII teams
1 being most hated, 12 being least hated.
1. Missouri. This one isn't even close. MU fans constantly overhype their teams, and they always fall flat on their face. Also, the gap between 1 and 2 isn't even close. I'll root for any of the BELOW teams in bowl games. Not MU.
2. Nebraska. Just because they are so damn good. Well, not anymore. :) I like to listen to the Fuskers spin on how they will return to dominance.
3. Oklahoma. Bill Callahan was right. F'ckin hillbillies. Also, they only play one song, and they play it all..the f'ckin time. Too bad they only get up and play for one game a year. (See Below)
4. Texas. Arrogant cocksmacks. Tons of good recruits, tons of wins, and nothing to show for it. Also, they have a stupid annoying band in faggity little outfits.
5. Colorado. I call CU "Missouri West". Same colors, although CU fans aren't as delusional. They are just classless, and they like to riot way too much. Its fun seeing the whole Betsy-Barnett thing spin, but now its just getting sad.
6. Texas Tech. Just a bunch of weirdos.
7. Texas A&M. Usually humble, but always stupid. Stupid traditions, and generally stupid fans.
8. Oklahoma State. Asides from the thugs they have in their basketball program, and the media slobbering over Eddie Sutton who they think is a "saint"..(yeah right), I don't mind them too much.
9. Iowa State. Their basketball fans are a-holes, but thats ok, since they don't ever win on the road. Football fans? Non-existant.
10. Baylor. The only disdain I have for these poor guys is they embarass the Big XII on a consistent basis. They may be "moving up...", but that just comes with the territory. The territory being last in the Big XII every year..eventually they may get better. f*** that stupid lady who got Baylor in the Big XII.
11. KU. Asides from being a half-sport university, I don't mind KU at all. Their fans don't know **** about football, so even when they claim scoreboard over my favorite team, it doesn't hurt too much.
12. Kansas State. Obvious.
1. KSU - They were unbelievably bad for long time. Their program turns into a average program and they act like they have been a elite program for years.
2 - Nebraska - The local fans around here are just arrogant! (Not the ones on the board)
3 - KU - Their fans always talk smack and then when they lose bring up their basketball program. What the heck!
4 - Texas - Always a gold mine of talent but never works out for them. Plus they just beat Michigan in the Rose! BOOO!
5 - OU - My Step brother is a big OU guy.... Drives me nuts! :P
6 - Iowa State - They come out from the woods once every handful of years to surprise you. Basketball fans are jerks at times!
7 - Texas A&M - We are getting to the teams I don't care about...
8 - Oklahoma State - Would have ranked higher but was a Rashan Woods fan when he was there.
9 - Baylor - Do they even play in the Big 12 anymore?
10 - Texas Tech - They have been fun to watch!
11 - Colorado - Being a Broncos has made me secretly root for Colorado to at least do well!
12 - Missouri - Yeah it sucks liking Missouri right now but what can I say?
I'm an outsider on the Big 12 since I grew up a Big 10 guy but have always been fond of some Big 12 schools.
Loved Nebraska in the Tom O days.
Always enjoyed watching the Sooners except the lowly Blake days
A&M's defense has been exciting at times.
Texas and their running back factory is fun to watch.
TT and Leach's all out pass attack is a blast to watch also.
CU is probably my least favorite...McCarthy was a jesus freak, Neweasel and Barnett probably needed to hang out with McCarthy a little more often.
KSU and Synder play good football but his lack of integrity and making a mockery of the student/athlete label makes them tough to pull for.
Mizzou, Iowa State and Kansas are never good enough to warrant attention. Iowa State might change that in the next year or two however.
1. Texas - Arrogant c**k s**kers. Their conference was going down the tubes when they joined up with the Big 8, now they think they run the Big 12. I can't wait 'till Nebraska returns to dominance (no spin there Saul you know it will happen :) ) and smacks their ass around.
2. Colorado - I love the Broncos, Avalanche, the mountains and the state of Colorado....... I despise the Buffs. Ever since McCartney designated Nebraska as Colorado's rival, Colorado fans have spewed hatred towards Nebraska fans. It's gotten to the point where NU fans are afraid to drive to Boulder for games fearing getting their cars trashed. (As with any team there are also some good fans, many on this board would fall into that category)
3. Kansas State - KSucks used to be the Baylor of the Big 8. I always felt somewhat sorry for them and when a classmate of mine from high school played for them, I became a closet K-State fan. Then they start winning and had obviously never been there before........ Now Kansas St. fans are like annoying little brothers, always in the way and trying to be like you.
4. Missouri - They beat Nebraska once in 32 years.... yet somehow maintain a level of causticity warranting a #4 ranking on my list of hatred.
5. Texas Tech - Trailer trash U. You can bet that last years game will not be forgotten soon in Lincoln. Mike Leach looks like Vince Gill after being stung by a bee. Paybacks are a b**** Mikey.
6. Iowa State - The bastard stepchild of the Big 12 North. The only reason they are not ranked higher on this list is because Ames is such a fine town. I've partied hard in Ames a few times.......ah the memories.
7. Kansas - They pretty much understand the natural order of things..... We kick their ass in football..... They kick our ass in basketball. Although, things are getting more competitive on both fronts.
8. Texas A&M - Tradition rich school with some great fans. That gig 'em Aggies thing does get pretty gay after awhile though.
9. Oklahoma St. - Nebraska hasn't really played them enough yet to develop a lot of feelings either way for the Cowboys. The team and fans did seem pretty classy during the last meeting.
10. Baylor - Hating on them would be like kicking the shiat out of a guy in a wheelchair. They had a decent recruiting year so they may become more competitive in the future.
11. Oklahoma - Even with the recruiting animosity, Bo Pelini slamming the program, the F-ing Hillbillies comment, Stoops's gay "Spurreiresque" visor on the sidelines and their keeping their starters in to run up the score..... I still have too much respect for the Oklahoma program and the old Big 8 rivalry to rank them any lower.
12. Nebraska - After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander of the Japanese Fleet, is reported to have said: "I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant". That is what is happening right now in Lincoln..... the rest of the Big 12 had better have enjoyed Nebraska's down time because we will be back with a vengeance.
keep in mind this is an overall reflection, not necessarily a reflection of those on this board.
1. NU easy, and all though I hate them, I respect them. The thing that pisses me off is all the chest thumping about being gracious hosts and showing respect for the other team crap. That might have been the case in Lincoln in the 90s, but ever since the program came back to earth, sometime around Nov. 2001, the NU faithful have shown cracks.NU fans in Lincoln ARE NOT polite to CU fans any more. I have witnessed the change first hand. I hate Callahan, he's a POS, I think NU fans will come to hate much like the raider fans do. Oh, and another thing, all the stories about NU fans being abused in boulder is Urban Legend that has gotton totally out of hand. ** (this goes out to all B12 fans)No pee was ever thrown at any NU fan. Give me a freaking break. Verbal harrassment, of course, tell me where that does not happen. I could go on, but I wont....
2. KSU- HCBS is the main reason. Reminds me of Mr. Burns. KSU fans will defend him till they are blue in the face, even if they are wrong. The recent rise of there program has given the kitties a somewhat false sense of entitlement. You have no history, well Lynn Dickey I guess.
3. TexAss for reasons already stated by others and that god damn "Eyes of Texas" er "I've been working on the Railroad" I freaking hate that. I love Austin though, best city in the B12 hands down.
4. OU all the ass whooping they used to and are now putting on the buffs. I respect the program now, but damn boomer sooner and their stupid ass song.
5. Mizzou Even though my bride to be is an Alum, I still hate 'em. What have they ever done?? Cry me a river about the 5th down thing. It's NOT CUs FAULT, and you A-holes water down that sorry excuse for a field.
6. Kansas- Who ever mentioned the B-Ball comment when talking football is spot on. They are a hoops school, always will be. I am still pissed about the 1995 game, but that was as much Slick's fault as it was KU thumping us.
7-11 OSU, TAM, Baylor, TTech, ISU are all about the same to me, no real feelings about them in any way. The cities all blow and are god awful road trips.
12. Buffs I am Silver and Gold to the bone. I love the buffs, I can see them in a balanced view and I acknowledge our faults.
(If this was of all college team CLU Rams would be far and away #1 hated. They are a peon program that is paranoid, delusional and worships their HC like he's some kind of saint. I hope CLU loses every game they play. There fans are awful, I am so glad that the game was moved back to the campuses. Oh, and getting blindsided by a beer bottle in 1998 might have a little to do with it too. Over 50 stitches. "Yep, I'm sure of it, I hate 'em")
1. KU-especially since they appear to be on the rise with Mangino. Getting a victory over K-State last year didn't help, either.
2. Oklahoma-Bob Stoops can go to hell...Barry Switzer can go to hell...
3. Nebraska-They'll always be the hated Nebraska team no matter how many times K-State dominates...
4. Colorado-This is a team that we can't seem to figure out from year to year.
5. Texas-I hate the Horns...nuff said
6. Texas Tech-maybe it's just jealousy over the efficiency of their offense, but I put them here.
7. Missouri-They want the program that K-State has. I pity them from a certain point of view, but at least they are somewhat on my hate radar.
8. Oklahoma State-from here on out, hatred is a strong word...
9. Texas A&M-I hate their chants during the game
11. Iowa State
12. K-State-MY TEAM
The Cu recruiting luncheon yesterday was great, I was hoping they would play a game afterwards. Damnit.
NU's Rivals.com recruiting ranking points = 2,178
The other five teams in the Big 12 North's combined points = 2,669
Now this doesn't mean squat if they can't translate this to wins.... it's sad that Nebraska's once mighty football program has been reduced celebrating a top recruiting class, but hey there hasn't been a whole lot else to celebrate lately......
Article Published: Monday, November 17, 2003
Sea of red good for soul
Nebraska fans stay true to loyalties, sportsmanship
By Bill Briggs
Denver Post Sports Writer
LINCOLN, Neb. - Welcome to the way it should be.
To the one place where howling for the home team doesn't mean bashing the visitors - an island of good cheer in a world where sportsmanship is nearly extinct, a Jurassic Park for the touchdown crowd.
Welcome to a corn-flavored wonderland of red balloons and the Black Shirt defense, a state where everything halts on Husker Saturdays: work, weddings and, sometimes, the births of babies.
You need some sun? Go to Miami. You need some action? Go to Vegas. You need to soothe your football soul? Come to Lincoln - preferably in mid-November when the sky is slate gray and the sea is red.
"It's funny," says one Nebraska diehard, Mike O'Donnell from Omaha. "A buddy of mine who is a Michigan State fan actually got mad because the fans were so friendly during a lopsided (Huskers) win a few years ago. He just wanted to be left alone."
Better go somewhere else if that's your game. Here, no matter what color you're wearing, it's more family reunion - hugs, handshakes and Nebraska-shaped hamburgers. (Scottsbluff sticks out of the bun.) This marked the 10th stop on The Denver Post's spin through Big 12 venues. At each stadium, I wear the visiting team's attire into a rabid mass of homers.
At the house of red Saturday, I donned purple and pulled for Kansas State: the biggest game at Memorial Stadium in years. The winner likely would play mighty Oklahoma for the Big 12 Conference crown, the loser would grab a mid-December bus to the Baloney Bowl.
Husker Nation was pumped. That didn't change a thing in the stands. Ever been there in the opposing team's duds? Here's a corn-roasted sampler of a visitor's game day in Lincoln.
Along the vehicular thicket that Interstate 80 becomes on certain Saturdays, you sense the first hints of the football addiction 10 miles outside Lincoln. Three hours before kickoff, you notice a higher ratio than normal of red cars, red trucks and red minivans. Flags bearing "Huskers" and "Black Shirts" flutter at 60 mph. Magnetized N's adorn the side panels. Personalized license plates make bold proclamations such as: 1NUFAN1.
In Lincoln, tavern entrances seem to simultaneously inhale and exhale men, women and children in red coats, red sweaters, red scarves, red pants, red shoes and red necklaces. (A few free spirits wear yellow corncob knit caps.) On city buses, the destination panels above the windshields flash: Go Big Red.
The parking lot attendant points you toward the party, under the Ninth Street overpass next to Memorial Stadium. There, between the RVs and the grills, a ragtag group of men and women wielding a bass drum, trumpet, trombone, flute, clarinet, tuba, saxophone and other instruments jam out Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" and then bounce into the Nebraska fight song. They wear Huskers jerseys and call themselves "The Drunken Alumni Band."
Near a rickety bus hand-painted green with cornstalks, a Nebraska student carries a half-shucked ear of corn above his head while a woman grabs a slice of rye from her wicker, corn-shaped breadbasket. There is something about the corn, something deeper than the school emblem, something remotely soothing. Maybe it's the American roots it represents. The peaceful sound of the rustling it makes.
An hour before the game, you stroll past a chain-link fence into the Husker Nation Pavilion, a carnival of Big Red boosters, booths and a band stage set up at the Nebraska track and field complex. Just inside the gate, a woman in a yellow security jacket grabs your arm firmly. You think maybe you forgot to pay. But the woman, Peggy, then clasps your hand with both of hers and says with a smile: "Good luck today, honey. We thank you for coming." On a grass field chalked up with white yard markers, dads and sons toss footballs.
Time to go in. Beneath the south stands, you watch about 200 Nebraska faithful line up along a brick walkway inscribed with national championship years and the names of Huskers financial backers. The fans hoot and holler as the home team emerges from the locker room and, wearing one giant game face, heads up the tunnel and then onto the field. Minutes later, segments of the Huskers marching band flow out of the four on-field openings, then merge on the turf.
You take your seat as two F-14 fighter jets buzz the stadium, perfectly punctuating the final note of the national anthem. About two rows back, a lone Huskers fan boos as the Kansas State Wildcats take the field. A grandmotherly woman just behind you snaps her head around and lectures: "We DO NOT boo. THAT is bad sportsmanship!" The man does not make another peep.
See, Nebraska isn't exactly the tourist capital of the Heartland. Huskers fans quietly beam when folks stream in from other states, checking out the university and the ambiance.
"The team is viewed by so many as the front door to the state," says Bill Ojile, a 1985 Nebraska graduate who lives in Greenwood Village. "We're proud of the sea of red. We're proud of the campus. People just like having new folks here."
As the Huskers score on an acrobatic, knee-twisting pass from quarterback Jammal Lord, fans let loose hundreds of red balloons that float above the field and drift south toward Kansas. The game is tied 7-7. The home team will never taste a lead.
Kansas State throttles the Huskers in the second half en route to a 38-9 waxing. It marks the first Wildcats win in Lincoln since 1968, the worst home drubbing for Nebraska since 1958. But you notice the vast majority of fans stay and watch until the game's final five minutes. As they file out, a military man in a camouflage uniform punches you lightly in the arm and says sincerely: "Good luck against Oklahoma, man."
"It's a lot easier to be hospitable when you're on top," Ojile admits.
You file out through a north-end portal along with the smiling, back-patting Kansas State players. Above that narrow exit, several dozen red-clad fans are standing. They are clapping. For K-State.
Notre Dame's got their Touchdown Jesus. But I'll take football nirvana.
The game is tied 7-7. The home team will never taste a lead.
Psh...shoulda been 38-2. :)
I guess I am not a good sport, then. I ALWAYS boo the opposing team when they come on the field. However, after a loss, I don't do anything. The better team won the game, booing or saying anything is just foolish. Heck, after ISU beat us this year (ugh), we broke in to a "BEAT OU" chant. Too bad ISU couldn't handle freaking MISSOURI at home....
You should road trip up to Lincoln this year Saul..... I could show you around the pre-game hot spots.....
1. Nebraska - Tom Osbourne kiss my fanny, and well I hate Callahan.
2. OU- Ex wife is from Oklahoma. Ex father in law stole 15K from me and he is a huge OU fan
3. OSU- Ex wife is from Oklahoma. Ex mother in law used to abuse my kids, and she is a huge OSU fan.
4. Colorado- Hollywood Barnett can plant a big smooch on my posterior. If they fired the butt nugget, CU would be #12 on this list.
5- 8. Texas, TT, A&M, and Baylor- I don't like anything about or from Texas. I think it has something to do with W, my shrink and I are working on it.
9. Missouri - They're still whining about the phantom 5th down.
10. KSU - Program that has had some success, but think they are bigger than they are.
11. KU - They have been sooo bad, for sooo long, that they take a back seat to KSU in KS.
12. ISU - I don't know, they are like the Cubs, been losers for so long that you gotta love 'em.
Does anybody know why Baylor got the Big-12 nod over other old SWC programs like TCU?
Was it because of academics and religion? Rice would have been a better choice for academics because they are one of the top 15 schools in the country and they are actually good in something (baseball).
Baylor must have landed the biggest shocker in the recruiting season when they signed David Gettis from Dorsey High in L.A. I have no idea how Baylor went into the ghetto and recruited one of the top ten WRs in the country.
I dislike Oklahoma but other than that i cant really rank them. I would say Oklahoma St. and Texas Tech are my favorites though. I like the Air Raid Offense and Mike Leach. And i enjoyed watching Fields, Bell and RaShaun Woods at OSU. Considering two of the three play in some capacity for my pro teams and the other plays for the only NFC team i can sorta kinda like, OSU is fine with me.
1.) Nebraska -- Duh. Born & raised in the beautiful state of Colorado my entire life, hatred for NU is a part of me. Doesn't help any that my mom's entire family is from Nebraska.
2.) Texass -- At least Nebraska has won sh*t. Still waiting for Texas to actually do something and stop talking. AND THAT'S NOT ORANGE DAMMIT!
3.) Kansas State -- HCBS. If we're talking basketball, they flip spots with Kansas.
4.) Kansas -- Rock Choke Jayhawk. If we're talking basketball, they flip spots with K State.
5.) Mizzou -- My cousin and uncle are Mizzou grads. They're cool. Everyone else from that school though............
6.) Texas Tech -- I hate Bobby Knight. Once he's gone, I won't mind them anymore.
7.) Iowa State -- They're here just because they're in the North, therefore compete against CU. Otherwise, they just blend in.
8.) Oklahoma -- I have a huge amount of respect for them. They go out, kick ass, and just rebuild again. Plus, the OU fans I've tailgated with seem cool.
9.) Oklahoma State -- Their fans didn't rub it in our faces when they walked all over us this year, even though they could have. Damn mascot is dumber than hell though.
10.) aTm -- I really wish that I went to a school that had that kind of tradition. aTm in football, Duke in basketball -- they're just hardcore. Fight song is great and seeing hte crowd sway is impressive as hell. I have respect for that.
11.) Baylor -- I just feel bad for them. Their basketball program was ruined by Bliss. Football program never had much. Just ugly.
12.) Colorado -- looking forward to when CU can dump Barnett and finally have a respectable contending football team again. But hey, I guess we'll just continue to celebrate 7 win seasons and not completely embarrassing ourselves.
1) OU-----I live here, have to listen to the crap they spew all day. Only group of fans I can think of that make a coach (Switzer) out to be a God despite the fact he put them on probation. Then, while on probation, and not able to recruit properly, Gibbs was fired after going 7-4. Good call. Oh yeah, and they play boomer sooner 800 f***ing times a quarter. What? We got 3 yards on first down...strike up the band! What? Our fourth string long snapper just took a sip of gatorade...Strike up the band!
2) Baylor-----f*** you Baylor. You show up for 1 game out of 100 and beat CU. Conf***ingrats on that. Everyone knows you're only in the Big 12 because of Ann Richards. Contribute something mother f***ers! How much money have your brought the Big 12 you golden f***ing bears...and another thing. How many f***ing golden bears has anyone ever seen in f***ing Waco Texas?
3) Texass------They'd be ranked higher if Baylor wouldn't have won against CU a couple years ago. I really don't even hate them. I really just pity them. 6th street rocks though.
4) Nebraska------I know, I'm suppose to hate them, but really I can't. Too much respect for what they have accomplished over the years. Plus, for the amount of geriatrics in the stands, the place does get rockin'.
5) KSJC------This is also more of a hatred towards the fans. As someone else mentioned, the old KState made Baylor look like the freakin Patriots. Years and years and years and years of completely sucking hind tit have been forgotten over a couple top 10 years mixed up with some mediocre years. I had a cousin that played OT for KSJC years ago, too bad he only got to experience 5 wins in 4 years.
6) Misery------5th down b****es! Hey everyone, whats the number 1 chant that MU players and fans hear the most from rival fans? "Over-rated"
7) Kansas-------Honestly, if Mangino wasn't so fat, no one would really notice them at all.
8) Iowa State------We should kick them and Baylor out of the Big 12 and rename ourselves the Big 10. Hell the Big 10 can take Iowa State and rename themselves the Big 12. It's only natural.
9) Texas Tech-------Lubbock f***ing sucks! Other than that, they are fine and dandy. I pity them. A College campus in a dry county. WTF is that about?
10) TAMU---------Best College song ever! One of the best places to see a game. Too bad I can't stand the color Maroon.
11) Okie State---------I went there until they asked me not to come back. Gallagher Iba is one of the best places to catch a Basketball game. Truly awesome experience. Football team sucked for years, bought a couple players in the 80's got better. Les Miles leaves, and expect OSU to fall again. Gundy f***ing sucks!
12) Colorado---------Honestly, they should be higher on the list. It's my team and all that jazz, but the admin can I'm into gay sex. I'm looking for a partner. Interested?.
1. K-State- I have to live surrounded by KSU fans 24/7. They wear purple and think a little success in the 90's makes them one of the big boys. I'll admit that Snyder has done an incredible job, and they do have scoreboard on Nebraska, and I enjoyed watching them paste OU two years ago, but they are not as great as their fans would like to think. You can't spell SUCK without KSU.
2. Colorado- Certainly a lot of good CU fans on this board, but this team is really easy to root against. Their past few coaches have been complete *****. This teams existance seems to be based around beating NU, which is kind of pathetic when you think about it. Pretty campus, though.
3. Texas- That goddam hook 'em horns combined with Texas arrogance and the fact they've won nothing of significance with tons of talent.
4. Missouri- Almost feel sorry for them after the 5th down and the Nebrasks kick play, but I still enjoy watching this team lose. I'm just not fond of the state of Misery as a whole. Having relatives who live their makes it even better when they lose.
5. Texas Tech- I know this is a ranking based on football, but I really hate Bobby Knight so I'll count him against them. Being located in texas counts against them too. I remember that once after they beat A&M, their fans tore down the goalposts and used the posts to ram the A&M fan section. They've earned the Trailer Trash U. name.
6. Oklahoma- I have a ton of respect for this program, but that doesn't mean I don't root against them. I'm glad they've risen from their horrible mid-90s. Hopefully NU can get back to OUs level. that used to be an incredible rivalry. Stoops isn't my favorite coach, but he has my respect.
7. Oklahoma St.- Really don't have any feelings about this team. Pretty neutral.
8. Baylor- Neutral about the bears too, except they suck too much to worry about.
9. Iowa St.-Offensive Coordinator Barney Cotton was at NU last year, so I was pulling for him to do well. Too bad they lost to MU in such a heartbreaking way. Would have been fun for them to make Big XII championship.
10. Kansas- Big fan of the basketball team. Mangino seems like a good guy, and they were able to shut up a lot of KSU fans this year. I'd like to see them improve over the next few years (as long as NU can still beat them).
11. Texas A&M- I normally hate all teams from Texas, but I love the tradition and passion this program has. Their fans are incredible. I hope I can go to a game at Kyle Field some day.
12. Nebraska- I'll echo Evenrude's comments: We are on the road back, and we could very well be kicking everyone in the North's asses in a couple years. I understand why everyone hates us (even I find the "greatest fans" title we seem to have given ourselves a little obnoxious), but this has always been a classy and proud program. Keep hating. It just shows you care.
As far as CU goes, until they get rid of that cancer Barnett, and the Admin (Especially Bitsy Hummergivermann) I hope the only 3 games they win are against NU, OU, and OSU. That's why they moved up on my poll into the top 5. It tears me up that I have to root for CSU, because CU is just so screwed up from top to bottom.
Heh. Lots of hate for my Cats. :) I'd like to think our fans aren't that bad, in the stadium at least....
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.