The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   OT - Bowe Bergdahl (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115604)

DomCasual 06-02-2014 01:00 PM

OT - Bowe Bergdahl

Thoughts?

I have no military background, and this thing fascinates me.

It sounds like he deserted.

It sounds like several soldiers died, trying to find him.

It doesn't seem like partisan mud-flinging to say that a five-for-one trade was, at the very least, a questionable decision, based on our public policies on such matters, in the past - and that would be true, even if he was "abducted" under less-questionable circumstances.

So, thoughts?

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06-02-2014 01:01 PM

Good for him getting freed! Now, when's the court martial?

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06-02-2014 01:08 PM

I reallly don't know much about this, but my buddies in the service tell me he deserted and that men died trying to find him. If true, he needs to face some consequences.

I'm not sure I like trading suspected terrorists for POW's but I would probably sing a different tune if this was some relative of mine.

Israel has been doing stuff like this for years right?

Its gotta be nice for our servicemen to know we're willing to do this to get them back if they get captured.

bronco militia 06-02-2014 01:10 PM

hopefully the Fab 5 have tracking devices....

gunns 06-02-2014 01:12 PM

As a mother I'm thrilled he was released. Without the traitor business, I don't care about the 5 who were released. With the traitor business I have serious questions about what's going on and how the powers that be didn't know this info. If they did, shame on you.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 06-02-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunns (Post 4120664)
As a mother I'm thrilled he was released. Without the traitor business, I don't care about the 5 who were released. With the traitor business I have serious questions about what's going on and how the powers that be didn't know this info. If they did, shame on you.

Do you know the number of people those 5 killed? Those families might have a problem with it. What if one of them is responsible for a future attack killing Americans?

Personally I just feel this is nothing more than a political stunt by Obama and the media to bury the VA disaster. Oh look Obama cares about our soldiers and vets!

Chrissy Rules 06-02-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

a smart lady indeed....^5

bronco militia 06-02-2014 01:20 PM

‘God Will Repay’: Did Sgt. Bergdahl’s Dad Delete Disturbing Tweet About Fight to Free Gitmo Prisoners

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...ee-terrorists/

mennonite 06-02-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

As a mother I'm thrilled he was released. Without the traitor business, I don't care about the 5 who were released.

I'm not a mother (except in the "Shaft" sense of the word) but you have to consider the danger posed to your children by the 5 guys we released.

Reductio ad absurdum: Would you release Charles Manson to get Benedict Arnold?

Chrissy Rules 06-02-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4120668)
Do you know the number of people those 5 killed? Those families might have a problem with it. What if one of them is responsible for a future attack killing Americans?

Personally I just feel this is nothing more than a political stunt by Obama and the media to bury the VA disaster. Oh look Obama cares about our soldiers and vets!

shes saying the same thing you are without saying...and you too are right...:thanku:

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06-02-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mennonite (Post 4120673)
I'm not a mother (except in the "Shaft" sense of the word) but you have to consider the danger posed to your children by the 5 guys we released.

Reductio ad absurdum: Would you release Charles Manson to get Benedict Arnold?

I would like to know more about these 5 guys we traded. Is there any info on them floating around out there?

Drunken.Broncoholic2 06-02-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules (Post 4120674)
shes saying the same thing you are without saying...and you too are right...:thanku:

Except I didnt say I didnt care about the 5 released whether he's a traitor or not.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 06-02-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 4120676)
I would like to know more about these 5 guys we traded. Is there any info on them floating around out there?

'Taliban Dream Team': Who are the 5 prisoners traded for Bergdahl's freedom?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...oner-exchange/

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06-02-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4120683)
'Taliban Dream Team': Who are the 5 prisoners traded for Bergdahl's freedom?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...oner-exchange/

Thanks for posting.

JFC! I agree this is most likely a PR stunt, but there's a big chance this blows up in Obama's face.

WTF is the WH thinking releasing these clowns for a deserter?

Drunken.Broncoholic2 06-02-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 4120688)
Thanks for posting.

JFC! I agree this is most likely a PR stunt, but there's a big chance this blows up in Obama's face.

WTF is the WH thinking releasing these clowns for a deserter?

Timing is odd for me. They claim health issues. But our Vet in that Mexican jail isn't getting any love or attention from the WH. It's been since march for that kid.

LetsGoBroncos 06-02-2014 01:46 PM

Five of the most dangerous men on the planet will soon be free

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06-02-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4120693)
Timing is odd for me. They claim health issues. But our Vet in that Mexican jail isn't getting any love or attention from the WH. It's been since march for that kid.

What exactly are these "health issues"?

Strange move if they're trying to help their public image. They had to know this would be controversial as hell.

Don't get me wrong, deserter or not, the guy is an American and I'm glad he's not in the hands of these ****ers anymore.

I would feel a lot better if these were low-level Taliban/AQ guys we were giving up for him though.

v2micca 06-02-2014 01:51 PM

Dude sounds like he was a major malcontent and probably would have ended up getting himself dishonorably discharged if not for his capture. But, I don't see enough evidence to unequivocally declare him a deserter. The Army kept promoting him in absentia. That's not treatment normally reserved for a deserter.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 06-02-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 4120696)
What exactly are these "health issues"?

Strange move if they're trying to help their public image. They had to know this would be controversial as hell.

Don't get me wrong, deserter or not, the guy is an American and I'm glad he's not in the hands of these ****ers anymore.

I would feel a lot better if these were low-level Taliban/AQ guys we were giving up for him though.

All I found were Hagels comments that his health was "deteriorating".

I don't know the facts, but others that have been traded for I'm assuming went back into battle? I wouldn't be surprised if these 5 will go right back to where they left off when caught

Chrissy Rules 06-02-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4120679)
Except I didnt say I didnt care about the 5 released whether he's a traitor or not.

right...I was referring to the Obama stuff...its just nice to know that other people see threw it too..:thumbs:

ColoradoDarin 06-02-2014 02:01 PM

I'm glad for his family that he's back, but we've just made the world less safe. Several dead in the search for him and probably a lot more with those 5 released. And from what I've read of him, he should have never been in the military. The peace corps was more his style.

Requiem 06-02-2014 02:01 PM

this is worse than the alphonso smith trade(s)

ColoradoDarin 06-02-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 4120708)

OMG... Horrible.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06-02-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 4120708)

ROFL!ROFL!ROFL!LOLLOLROFL!ROFL!ROFL!

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06-02-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4120699)
All I found were Hagels comments that his health was "deteriorating".

I don't know the facts, but others that have been traded for I'm assuming went back into battle? I wouldn't be surprised if these 5 will go right back to where they left off when caught

I'm sure they will.

Bizarre move IMHO