The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Favorite non-American food (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115326)

HILife 05-01-2014 10:17 AM

Favorite non-American food

Having some Chinese for lunch, which I hear isn't real Chinese food anyway, and was thinking, what are the most popular/favorite non-American food? I love some Thai, Japanese, Mexican, Peruvian, some Middle Eastern, and some other stuff that I can't think of right now.

Poll to come because I just figured out how to make one and this power demands to be used.

Go.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 05-01-2014 10:27 AM

Now I'm hungry hours before lunch

HILife 05-01-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4100730)
Now I'm hungry hours before lunch

Sooooo are you telling me you don't want me to post pictures of my lunch? Because here it is.

http://karenhkerr.smugmug.com/Food/M...MG_2981-XL.jpg

Kaylore 05-01-2014 10:32 AM

Probably Sushi is my favorite - though I love Pho. Korean is very good too. I like any Asian food, really. New American is my favorite non-foreign cuisine.

I have issues with certain types of foods that are more expensive than they should be, especially when they were traditionally made very inexpensively and restaurants want to charge more.

I don't believe in expensive Mexican food, for example. I think the best Mexican food is cheap out of one of those family owned restaurants in north Denver or from a street vendor. Hacienda Colorado is ridiculous to me. Mexican ingredients are cheap so if you're paying 10 bucks for a burrito, something isn't right. Same thing for the Mediterranean food.

SleepingTiger 05-01-2014 10:37 AM

first!!!!

anyways, give italian and mexican some considerations. but its always the same stuff. nothing different.

italian, you got pasta with different sauces of which i can only eat the tomato paste because the white sauce is too filling.

mexican involves everything corn and salsa. nothing creative.

the different foods i can get in a japanese, chinese and vietnamese restaurant is unreal. forget the bullcrap chinese restaurants. i want the authentic restaurants. damn pf changs and pei wei gives chinese food a bad name. been to pf changs once, i looked at the menu and just shook my head.

thai is good too, but too expensive
korean is awesome as well, but the menu isn't that huge either.

ZONA 05-01-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 4100733)
Probably Sushi is my favorite - though I love Pho. Korean is very good too. I like any Asian food, really. New American is my favorite non-foreign cuisine.

I have issues with certain types of foods that are more expensive than they should be, especially when they were traditionally made very inexpensively and restaurants want to charge more.

I don't believe in expensive Mexican food, for example. I think the best Mexican food is cheap out of one of those family owned restaurants in north Denver or from a street vendor. Hacienda Colorado is ridiculous to me. Mexican ingredients are cheap so if you're paying 10 bucks for a burrito, something isn't right. Same thing for the Mediterranean food.

Diddo

http://www-tc.pbs.org/food/files/2012/09/Sushi-5-1.jpg

HILife 05-01-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

I love sushi and forgot about Korean. There is a good Korean barbeque not far from me.

http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...hhkagwQA/l.jpg

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 05-01-2014 10:41 AM

I'm bias, but Chinese still does it for me. But it has to be real Chinese. Like Dim Sum and the stuff off the secret menu. Next would be any Asian food except Sushi. After that would be Mexican. I love Mexican hamburgers (I know its not Mexican). LOL

ludo21 05-01-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

After eating Pho, I felt like I ate nothing. ROFL!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 05-01-2014 10:45 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tYvhmHKjQXc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6SycgCTVNFI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OeCDT4ljqhQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bowtown 05-01-2014 10:45 AM

Italian:
Pizza and Macaroni Pasta with Velveta Cheese

TonyR 05-01-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HILife (Post 4100725)
Having some Chinese for lunch, which I hear isn't real Chinese food anyway...

According to a former Chinese colleague of mine this is true. He had been in the U.S. (from near Beijing) for less than 2 years when I first started working with him. And every "Chinese food" item I would ask him about he said they didn't eat in China. His mother came to visit and they had me over for a home cooked Chinese meal and it wasn't anything like what we get from Chinese takeout places. He told me that better Chinese restaurants have a more authentic Chinese menu they give to Chinese patrons.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 05-01-2014 10:48 AM

I efffing love Hot Pot. Its easy and its a good time.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dGZ4RfNtTMQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QkOM0R4o9l4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bowtown 05-01-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 4100749)
According to a former Chinese colleague of mine this is true. He had been in the U.S. (from near Beijing) for less than 2 years when I first started working with him. And every "Chinese food" item I would ask him about he said they didn't eat in China. His mother came to visit and they had me over for a home cooked Chinese meal and it wasn't anything like what we get from Chinese takeout places. He told me that better Chinese restaurants have a more authentic Chinese menu they give to Chinese patrons.

Pretty sure General Tso's Chicken is authentic.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 05-01-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 4100749)

That and there is a difference between Northern Chinese and Southern Chinese. Most of the Chinese in America is Southern Canton style.

TonyR 05-01-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtown (Post 4100751)
Pretty sure General Tso's Chicken is authentic.

I remember specifically asking him about this, and his response was "no such thing". But, perhaps there is some variation of it in some parts of China? I'm just going by what he told me.

bowtown 05-01-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 4100754)
I remember specifically asking him about this, and his response was "no such thing". But, perhaps there is some variation of it in some parts of China? I'm just going by what he told me.

I refuse to believe that chicken nuggets in sweet and sour sauce is not straight off the boat.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 05-01-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 4100754)

I can confirm this rumor. :)

Dr. Broncenstein 05-01-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtown (Post 4100746)
Italian:
Pizza and Macaroni Pasta with Velveta Cheese

What poem is this from?

bowtown 05-01-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 4100759)
What poem is this from?

I think it's Byron.

Dr. Broncenstein 05-01-2014 10:58 AM

That food so spicy that it melts the toilet coming out.

HILife 05-01-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun (Post 4100745)
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tYvhmHKjQXc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6SycgCTVNFI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OeCDT4ljqhQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting. Will check out more Fung Bros.

phibacka31 05-01-2014 11:06 AM

I absolutely LOVE me some Mexican... Good thing my mother in law is Mexican!

Also love Chinese and good Italian

Br0nc0Buster 05-01-2014 11:06 AM

Probably Italian
Like Chinese a lot though as well

I could live off of chicken and pasta though

bowtown 05-01-2014 11:08 AM

This thread is communist.