The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Moving to Alaska ! (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115325)

CHEF LUIGI 05-01-2014 07:48 AM

Moving to Alaska !

...Only for the summer.
Going to be in the Copper river area for the summer, busboys are in big demand there in bear country.
Anyone else/ going/ to be in alaska/ this summer?
My return week is he week the broncos play the seahawks in seattle, sept. 21, so depending/ on what kind of/ coin I make/this summer,/ I may try to catch that game !
I have always admired that beautiful stadium, its on my bucket list, so maybe this is the year it all comes together.Thankfully, I will/still be able to keep in touch with all you * chef lovers* thanks to this whole interweb thing.

SouthStndJunkie 05-01-2014 07:59 AM

That's awesome....I'm a little jealous.

Make sure you get out and enjoy the wilderness.

I've been to Alaska three times.

If I were younger and not tied down, I'd be heading out there to work in the summers like you are.

Never been to the Copper River area....spent some time in Anchorage, Denali, the Kenai Peninsula, and Katmai National Park.

iforgotmypassword 05-01-2014 08:14 AM

Speaking of bucket lists, Alaska is on mine. Can't decide if I want to fish (I know some people who have a boat and have tons of connections) or if I want to take a cruise. Make money or spend money.

Congrats at ya.

underrated29 05-01-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword (Post 4100700)
Speaking of bucket lists, Alaska is on mine. Can't decide if I want to fish (I know some people who have a boat and have tons of connections) or if I want to take a cruise. Make money or spend money.

Congrats at ya.

Do both. Trust me.

Chef- sounds like you are working for one of the cruise lines resort restaurants. Princess?

rmsanger 05-01-2014 08:53 AM

"Busboys" is that what they're calling them these days?

Have fun with teh Palinz!

baja 05-01-2014 08:54 AM

Good for you. Summer in Alaska how awesome

Guess Who 05-01-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI (Post 4100691)
...Only for the summer.
Going to be in the Copper river area for the summer, busboys are in big demand there in bear country.
Anyone else/ going/ to be in alaska/ this summer?
My return week is he week the broncos play the seahawks in seattle, sept. 21, so depending/ on what kind of/ coin I make/this summer,/ I may try to catch that game !
I have always admired that beautiful stadium, its on my bucket list, so maybe this is the year it all comes together.Thankfully, I will/still be able to keep in touch with all you * chef lovers* thanks to this whole interweb thing.

My Step-son lived in Alaska for two years. He loved the summer. He is in Utah now. He fell off a fishing boat and ****ed up his foot. Good thing for Obamacare as he was still on our insurance policy. He also messed up his shoulder in Hawaii this past summer. Oh what it is to be 23 and invincible.

Bronco Yoda 05-01-2014 10:09 AM

Have a great summer. I would absolutely love to do some hunting and fishing up there. You have to share some pictures with us when you get back.

Guess Who 05-01-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda (Post 4100772)
Have a great summer. I would absolutely love to do some hunting and fishing up there. You have to share some pictures with us when you get back.

My stepson mailed back 4 Salmon in ice. I was fearful that they were contaminated with radiation but I ate them anyway!!!!

Drunken.Broncoholic2 05-01-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess Who (Post 4100780)
My stepson mailed back 4 Salmon in ice. I was fearful that they were contaminated with radiation but I ate them anyway!!!!

I don't know how the algae blooms are up in Alaska but right now in Nor Cal the ocean is filled with toxic acid.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/toxic-algae...umans/25729808

delany 05-01-2014 11:17 AM

Awesome!

I will be in Seward and Homer for the first week of Aug.

myMind 05-01-2014 11:26 AM

Your moving to Alaska to clear tables at a restaurant?

B-Large 05-01-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myMind (Post 4100810)
Your moving to Alaska to clear tables at a restaurant?

that's code for Twink Lover.... and when he is going to see Bears, he doesn't mean Grizzly.

Dude, seriously, that is awesome- and I applaud you for getting out and seeing some of the country- who know who you'll meet in passing, what an exciting opportunity.

broncocalijohn 05-01-2014 12:06 PM

Remember when in Alaska:

Don't serve Champ Bailey

Make everyone do a 40 before feeding them

Stop by Russia for me and get some Vodka

oubronco 05-01-2014 02:36 PM

Kickass man have fun!!

Requiem 05-01-2014 03:07 PM

Alexander Supertramp?

delany 05-01-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 4100971)
Alexander Supertramp?

Great book. Interesting dude.

Guess Who 05-01-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4100797)
I don't know how the algae blooms are up in Alaska but right now in Nor Cal the ocean is filled with toxic acid.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/toxic-algae...umans/25729808

I heard the salmon were bad in Alaska, but I am not sure it was a reputable source and to tell you the truth I am kinda old and tired anyway. If it happens it happens.

Castinkas 05-01-2014 05:37 PM

I will be at the Sept 21st game....Surrounded by a bunch of idiots.

BowlenBall 05-01-2014 07:06 PM

My home state (born and raised)!

Here's a few "musts" for you:

1) The Alcan highway: drive, don't fly. Northern BC/Yukon Territory is the most beautiful area in all of North America. Throw a tent in the car, and while you can do the drive in 5 days non-stop, give yourself two full weeks, and smell the roses. The Lake Muncho area is mind-blowingly beautiful. Whitehorse is a super-hip little town of bohemians. The Liard hotsprings are an experience as well. I can't emphasize this enough -- you have to drive the Alcan!

2) Kenai River / Russian River: if you like fishing, then give yourself 4-5 days in July to get down to the Kenai Peninsula to catch the salmon run (kings, reds, silvers, throw back the chums/dogs and pinks unless it's late in the day and you're getting skunked). There are several campgrounds along these rivers, bring your tent and don't worry too much about the bears -- they won't bother you as long as you don't bother them (pack your pepper spray though, just in case).

3) Homer: stunningly beautiful town, visit it in June/July/August, and you'll think about it for the rest of your life.

That's all I got for now, but PM me if you want more advice/info. Be sure to stop by my home town of Soldotna, go to Sourdough Sals, and have a Yukon Burger for me....

BowlenBall 05-01-2014 07:09 PM

Kupesdad can also fill you in on places in the Anchorage area, I believe (if he's still checking this site)....

R8R H8R 05-01-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delany (Post 4100804)
Awesome!

I will be in Seward and Homer for the first week of Aug.

So will I, for the 10th year in a row! I will be in Homer 6th-8th fishing for Halibut, maybe Kings, and Seward 12-14th fishing for bottom fish and Silvers. Have you been there before? There is a reason we go back every year.

BowlenBall 05-01-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8R H8R (Post 4101091)
So will I, for the 10th year in a row! I will be in Homer 6th-8th fishing for Halibut, maybe Kings, and Seward 12-14th fishing for bottom fish and Silvers. Have you been there before? There is a reason we go back every year.

Nice! Have a drink at the Salty Dawg for me, my brothers....

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...bl8-MHOxS5eNaF
http://www.alaska-in-pictures.com/da...aloon_3418.jpg

R8R H8R 05-01-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess Who (Post 4101048)
I heard the salmon were bad in Alaska, but I am not sure it was a reputable source and to tell you the truth I am kinda old and tired anyway. If it happens it happens.

Not true for areas I have fished the last 10 years(Homer, Seward, Russian River). The halibut and salmon are the best I've ever eaten.

R8R H8R 05-01-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowlenBall (Post 4101093)

You bet! As you know, you can't go to Homer and not have a beer or two at the Salty Dog.