The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   So this is what it feels like... (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114478)

BlaK-Argentina 02-03-2014 06:37 PM

So this is what it feels like...
 
I've only been a fan since 2002, so I didn't get to experience the back to back championships like most of you.

I've heard and read from you guys how crushing those SB losses were and how incredibly sweet it was to finally get over the hump and win those championships.

Last night was just surreal for me. I knew we could lose, but never in my worst nightmare could I have imagined it going this way. I was just so excited about finally being able to watch my Broncos play in the Super Bowl. There was a time there during the McDaniels era where I thought I might never be lucky enough to see them in the biggest of stages.

Last night I had absolutely nothing to celebrate. Not one freaking play. It all came crushing down from the very first play. I was innocent enough to believe we could mount some kind of come back in the second half. Then we kicked off and I just broke down and cried. I could not believe what was happening. I now understand what all of you felt watching those crushing losses in the 80s and somehow... what it really means to be a Broncos fan and care so much.

I could hardly fall asleep last night as different images from the game would pop up in my head and all I could do was open my eyes and try to shake them away. I was a zombie all day today. Still can't believe how bad it all went down.

So I guess I'm just venting a bit. I was angry during the first quarter... then downright sad and miserable for the rest of the game. I turned it off just before the 2 minute warning when they brought the Lombardi down to the field.

I really envy you guys that got to experience 97-98... I really want to be able to say I got to experience the Broncos winning a SB during my lifetime. And damnit if I didn't want Manning and Champ Bailey to be the ones to do that for me, and for all of us.

I refuse to believe we won't be back next year, and hopefully I'll be shedding tears of happiness this time around.

GO BRONCOS damnit, GO BRONCOS... always.

Sideburn 02-03-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina (Post 4052983)
I've only been a fan since 2002, so I didn't get to experience the back to back championships like most of you.

I've heard and read from you guys how crushing those SB losses were and how incredibly sweet it was to finally get over the hump and win those championships.

Last night was just surreal for me. I knew we could lose, but never in my worst nightmare could I have imagined it going this way. I was just so excited about finally being able to watch my Broncos play in the Super Bowl. There was a time there during the McDaniels era where I thought I might never be lucky enough to see them in the biggest of stages.

Last night I had absolutely nothing to celebrate. Not one freaking play. It all came crushing down from the very first play. I was innocent enough to believe we could mount some kind of come back in the second half. Then we kicked off and I just broke down and cried. I could not believe what was happening. I now understand what all of you felt watching those crushing losses in the 80s and somehow... what it really means to be a Broncos fan and care so much.

I could hardly fall asleep last night as different images from the game would pop up in my head and all I could do was open my eyes and try to shake them away. I was a zombie all day today. Still can't believe how bad it all went down.

So I guess I'm just venting a bit. I was angry during the first quarter... then downright sad and miserable for the rest of the game. I turned it off just before the 2 minute warning when they brought the Lombardi down to the field.

I really envy you guys that got to experience 97-98... I really want to be able to say I got to experience the Broncos winning a SB during my lifetime. And damnit if I didn't want Manning and Champ Bailey to be the ones to do that for me, and for all of us.

I refuse to believe we won't be back next year, and hopefully I'll be shedding tears of happiness this time around.

GO BRONCOS damnit, GO BRONCOS... always.

Yep...sucks.

Just as I told my nephew, welcome to the Denver Broncos.

theAPAOps5 02-03-2014 06:48 PM

There are two Super Bowl emotions. Ecstasy and despair. There is no moral victory. Experiencing the despair makes you truly appreciate the other side. But the despair is crushing.

No other event is as poignant and definitive as this. It can really test your "sports" soul.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 02-03-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 (Post 4053006)
There are two Super Bowl emotions. Ecstasy and despair. There is no moral victory. Experiencing the despair makes you truly appreciate the other side.

No other event is as poignant and definitive as this. It can really test your "sports" soul.

I think that despair comes in degrees. A competitive performance yesterday ending in a loss would've been much more easy to swallow. At least it would've shown the team wasn't a bunch of soft pussies getting punked up and down the field. All the blow outs I've seen(4 now) are way worse than a 24-21 type loss.

go_broncos 02-03-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4053011)
I think that despair comes in degrees. A competitive performance yesterday ending in a loss would've been much more easy to swallow. At least it would've shown the team wasn't a bunch of soft pussies getting punked up and down the field. All the blow outs I've seen(4 now) are way worse than a 24-21 type loss.

I feel exact opposite..I felt i can take the loss knowing that the other team beat you in all phases.we were never in the game.

Imagine a scenario where we lost in last second..that would have been brutal.

theAPAOps5 02-03-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 4053011)
I think that despair comes in degrees. A competitive performance yesterday ending in a loss would've been much more easy to swallow. At least it would've shown the team wasn't a bunch of soft pussies getting punked up and down the field. All the blow outs I've seen(4 now) are way worse than a 24-21 type loss.

As a Bronco fan after 1977 I have no frame of reference other than utter despair and ecstasy. So I can't speak to that!

wolf754life 02-03-2014 07:03 PM

pretty bad when we care more about than the team, coaches, or players do

i guess they still get their big fat paychecks, the rest of us just go on with bills and work...

BlaK-Argentina 02-03-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf754life (Post 4053025)
pretty bad when we care more about than the team, coaches, or players do

i guess they still get their big fat paychecks, the rest of us just go on with bills and work...

That's what I think hurts the most. I saw D. Thomas laugh during the fourth quarter... what the ****?? Your pathetic effort just let thousands of people down. You got owned in front of millions and millions of people from all around the world, what the hell are you laughing about?

broncosteven 02-03-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina (Post 4053030)
That's what I think hurts the most. I saw D. Thomas laugh during the fourth quarter... what the ****?? Your pathetic effort just let thousands of people down. You got owned in front of millions and millions of people from all around the world, what the hell are you laughing about?

You need to get over that one quickly.

These guys get paid, it is a job, they don't bleed for the team like fans do. In most cases they don't even know the history of their own sport or the players that came before them.

Watch that Baseball movie the kid from SNL did with Drew Barrymore a couple years ago, there is a scene where these diehard Red Sox fans are eating at a restaurant after a crushing loss and their favorite player is having a great time right after the game.

These guys don't care, they get paid. Get over it.

BTW welcome to your first crushing loss. One cannot truly know the highest of highs with out the deepest of lows. This too shall pass.

BlaK-Argentina 02-03-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 4053058)
You need to get over that one quickly.

These guys get paid, it is a job, they don't bleed for the team like fans do. In most cases they don't even know the history of their own sport or the players that came before them.

Watch that Baseball movie the kid from SNL did with Drew Barrymore a couple years ago, there is a scene where these diehard Red Sox fans are eating at a restaurant after a crushing loss and their favorite player is having a great time right after the game.

These guys don't care, they get paid. Get over it.

BTW welcome to your first crushing loss. One cannot truly know the highest of highs with out the deepest of lows. This too shall pass.

I guess they don't have any pride. I would cut my balls off before passing that kind of performance as my "work".

Hell, all of us would be OUT of a job after suck a pathetic effort. These guys don't care, alright.

2KBack 02-03-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina (Post 4053074)
I guess they don't have any pride. I would cut my balls off before passing that kind of performance as my "work".

Hell, all of us would be OUT of a job after suck a pathetic effort. These guys don't care, alright.

Not really...they made the super bowl. They had a terrible day in an otherwise great year. It is still just a game,and still just a job.

broncosteven 02-03-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina (Post 4053074)
I guess they don't have any pride. I would cut my balls off before passing that kind of performance as my "work".

Hell, all of us would be OUT of a job after suck a pathetic effort. These guys don't care, alright.

We are generalizing but there are players who are like you and I who would be ashamed to be seen not caring but there are also a lot of guys who probably don't even follow football once they leave the game.

Doggcow 02-03-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 4053058)
You need to get over that one quickly.

These guys get paid, it is a job, they don't bleed for the team like fans do. In most cases they don't even know the history of their own sport or the players that came before them.

Watch that Baseball movie the kid from SNL did with Drew Barrymore a couple years ago, there is a scene where these diehard Red Sox fans are eating at a restaurant after a crushing loss and their favorite player is having a great time right after the game.

These guys don't care, they get paid. Get over it.

BTW welcome to your first crushing loss. One cannot truly know the highest of highs with out the deepest of lows. This too shall pass.

Not if you live in Seattle, in the heart of literally the worst fanbase in existence. Even if Denver goes back to the SB and annihilates next year... It won't matter or salvage anything.

Literally everyone I know has bandwagoned the Seahawks and there is zero trash talk, even rings, that I can do to mitigate the cronyism anymore.

This was the most important game Denver will ever play in my life.

nyuk nyuk 02-03-2014 11:51 PM

No, Blak. This isn't what it felt like in the 80s. Multiply this by 3 and then imagine being a national laughingstock for about 5 years.

Taco John 02-04-2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_broncos (Post 4053018)
I feel exact opposite..I felt i can take the loss knowing that the other team beat you in all phases.we were never in the game.

Imagine a scenario where we lost in last second..that would have been brutal.

I could have lived with that and thought "maybe next year."

Getting blown out on all sides of the ball. I can't even trust these guys if the do get to the Superbowl. This takes us back to the days when a good number of Broncos fans were terrified of the team making it for fear of what might happen once they get there. I mean, these guys couldn't even get a freaking snap off to start the game without handing the ball to the other team with points.

These guys humiliated themselves. 43-8... Really? There's no solace in that. If these guys can bounce back next year and have a great season, hallelujah. But they're going to have to show they're made of much tougher stuff than they showed on Sunday for that to happen. Frankly, I'm worried.

Wes Mantooth 02-04-2014 12:26 AM

For me, this was not what pre 97 felt like. Loosing in the 80's for me was much worse. I find myself thinking "at least we won a couple". This still sucks and even worse getting blown out in the fashion we did, but this is not the same feeling as before we won the first one.

Action 02-04-2014 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_broncos (Post 4053018)
I feel exact opposite..I felt i can take the loss knowing that the other team beat you in all phases.we were never in the game.

Imagine a scenario where we lost in last second..that would have been brutal.

You'd rather get smashed then compete in a game?

That's that loser mentality...and pretty much cements the fact that you've never competed in your life.

Sports is not about winning and losing, it's about competing. We couldn't even compete, and you're saying you'd rather take that.

You're an absolute loser.

Taco John 02-04-2014 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 4053309)
No, Blak. This isn't what it felt like in the 80s. Multiply this by 3 and then imagine being a national laughingstock for about 5 years.

If only it were just five. They lost to the Niners in '89, 55-10. This was after losing to the Giants and the Redskins in similar blow outs. In 90 they went .500. They bounced back the year after with a 12-4 season and lost to the Bills in a gut wrenching defensive battle that ended 10-7, and sniffed around .500 for the next four painful years while the Chargers, Chiefs, and Raiders all rose to prominence. That's been a dark and forgotten period in Broncos lore and for good reason.

go_broncos 02-04-2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 4053318)
I could have lived with that and thought "maybe next year."

Getting blown out on all sides of the ball. I can't even trust these guys if the do get to the Superbowl. This takes us back to the days when a good number of Broncos fans were terrified of the team making it for fear of what might happen once they get there. I mean, these guys couldn't even get a freaking snap off to start the game without handing the ball to the other team with points.

These guys humiliated themselves. 43-8... Really? There's no solace in that. If these guys can bounce back next year and have a great season, hallelujah. But they're going to have to show they're made of much tougher stuff than they showed on Sunday for that to happen. Frankly, I'm worried.

It all starts with Leadership and coaches. Players need to be accountable.
Are there any leaders in defense?..None.
Manning is not a leader to me.When there is a adversity, he just folds.
He got used to losing that he doesn't even care.

This team also needs coaching change. a coach that cares for the players and also nasty.

nyuk nyuk 02-04-2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 4053322)
If only it were just five. They lost to the Niners in '89, 55-10. This was after losing to the Giants and the Redskins in similar blow outs. In 90 they went .500. They bounced back the year after with a 12-4 season and lost to the Bills in a gut wrenching defensive battle that ended 10-7, and sniffed around .500 for the next four painful years while the Chargers, Chiefs, and Raiders all rose to prominence. That's been a dark and forgotten period in Broncos lore and for good reason.

Sure but I'm referring to the Super Bowl humiliations of the 1980s. This game was nothing... Nothing...

Now at the time I believed I figured out why we were .500 for those years. Shanahan left the team for San Fran. The minute he came back I said, we just won the Super Bowl. It was him working with Elway that got us there to begin with. When he was here, our offense was hot. When he wasn't, we languished.

BlaK-Argentina 02-04-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_broncos (Post 4053327)
It all starts with Leadership and coaches. Players need to be accountable.
Are there any leaders in defense?..None.
Manning is not a leader to me.When there is a adversity, he just folds.
He got used to losing that he doesn't even care.

This team also needs coaching change. a coach that cares for the players and also nasty.

You keep saying Manning doesn't care... that's crazy. I bet he cares more than anyone on the team (except maybe for Champ, this being his last good shot at the SB and all).

Watch his post game presser, he looks as pissed as I've ever seen him.

Blueflame 02-04-2014 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 4053318)
I could have lived with that and thought "maybe next year."

Getting blown out on all sides of the ball. I can't even trust these guys if the do get to the Superbowl. This takes us back to the days when a good number of Broncos fans were terrified of the team making it for fear of what might happen once they get there. I mean, these guys couldn't even get a freaking snap off to start the game without handing the ball to the other team with points.

These guys humiliated themselves. 43-8... Really? There's no solace in that. If these guys can bounce back next year and have a great season, hallelujah. But they're going to have to show they're made of much tougher stuff than they showed on Sunday for that to happen. Frankly, I'm worried.

It's like they chose the most important game of the year to make every possible mistake. If we'd played like that -- undisciplined, sloppy, and loose with the football -- in any week of the regular season, we'd have been lucky to win any games -- even vs. the Texans and Jags.

A team simply cannot expect to win when they make that many mistakes -- particularly in the playoffs when the opponents are among the league's elite. Elite teams will make you pay for most every miscue and the Chickens did that to us.

(insert swear words here)

Blueflame 02-04-2014 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina (Post 4053335)
You keep saying Manning doesn't care... that's crazy. I bet he cares more than anyone on the team (except maybe for Champ, this being his last good shot at the SB and all).

Watch his post game presser, he looks as pissed as I've ever seen him.

Totally agree -- if this loss hurts for us as fans, just imagine how frustrated the team has to be. They know they're capable of a far superior performance to that one. They know they let the fans, coaches, and their teammates down (that we all expected a better showing than that) -- and they know that there's no guarantee of ever having the chance to win it all again during their careers.

And Elway? Um -- this is a man who reportedly sold his pool table after a teammate beat him on it. He's gotta be far more pissed than we are.

horsepower 02-04-2014 02:58 AM

bottom line is seattle won this game, and by halftime I was already getting the idea that we would probably lose.

when you've got a defense which pushes the boundarys on legality, and gets away with most things, the illegal contact downfield and the PI, calls which weren't made, I knew it weren't gonna be our night,they committed ten penalties, and still didn't let up,but manning was under pressure in the pocket all night, with there pass rush,
the only receiver he trusted in the end was d Thomas, hence he caught the most passes, no one else was physically able to match up, the legion of boom won this game, we didn't lose it...

which makes it easier to swallow, if we'd have lost to a last second field goal...... now that would've destroyed me....

Chrissy Rules 02-04-2014 04:14 AM

Its Tuesday morning and for the first time since the game reality kind of hit him upside the head. I think I was in a state of shock cause I actually sat in the shower and bawled my eyes out BUT next year is a new year and I think with a few more pieces to the puzzle we could win the next 1 or 2 before Peyton closes down shop. I learned some time ago that sometimes you have to experience the tears of sorrow before you taste the tears of joy, well sorrow we have done now its time for the joy...springs around the corner and we will be back at it....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.