The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   NSA diverted computers and laptops from shipping facilities to install spyware (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113557)

txtebow 12-30-2013 06:50 AM

NSA diverted computers and laptops from shipping facilities to install spyware
 
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/2...stall-spyware/


"Der Spiegel reported on Sunday that the NSA’s “Tailored Access Operations” (TAO) has been diverting desktops and laptops shipped to U.S. consumers and installing spyware on them.

According to the report, the process, which TAO calls “interdiction,” involves intercepting packages on their way from manufacturers like Dell, Cisco, and Seagate, and installing bugs or spyware on them at a “secret workshop.”

The packages are then reintroduced into the delivery pipeline and arrive at their destination without the consumer ever realizing their machine has been compromised"

barryr 12-30-2013 07:30 AM

Wouldn't surprise me. It was things like this that liberals foamed at the mouth about, but these days they'd rather pretend it isn't happening since it ruins the narrative that these things don't happen when democrats are in charge.

alkemical 12-30-2013 09:30 PM

Duck dynasty ftw!

txtebow 12-31-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkemical (Post 4012018)
Duck dynasty ftw!

indeed.


^5

alkemical 12-31-2013 09:35 AM

http://bit.ly/1cFmxsJ

If you don’t live under a rock (though you may want to now) you probably saw yesterday’s article from Spiegel that revealed the NSA has its own catalog for spy gadgets. Today they released an interactive graphic with the catalog’s contents, and even if you’re not a regular reader of Hacking & Philosophy, you’re going to want to take a look at it. I recommend glancing over IRATEMONK, in the “Computer Hardware” category. As the article explains, IRATEMONK is

Quote:

An implant hidden in the firmware of hard drives from manufacturers including Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor and Samsung that replaces the Master Boot Record (MBR).
Quote:

…[installs] hardware units on a targeted computer by, for example, intercepting the device when it’s first being delivered to its intended recipient, a process the NSA calls ‘interdiction.’

barryr 12-31-2013 11:39 AM

Again, this is an issue the liberals have suddenly have no interest about. Before Obama took office, just the liberals around here devoted countless threads about this, not to mention the liberals in the media and other outlets. But the NSA and our government can do about anything now with their silence. They instead would rather rehash their phony race and gay rights support, talk about Santa's color or firing people off some reality show. The liberals are showing just what I have been saying about them for years, but these "geniuses" would rather pretend they are so complex in their thinking. Yeah, whatever. Their main contribution to these subjects is to attack posters since they are afraid to comment on these matters without looking like hypocritical fools to even themselves.

houghtam 12-31-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryr (Post 4012330)
Again, this is an issue the liberals have suddenly have no interest about. Before Obama took office, just the liberals around here devoted countless threads about this, not to mention the liberals in the media and other outlets. But the NSA and our government can do about anything now with their silence. They instead would rather rehash their phony race and gay rights support, talk about Santa's color or firing people off some reality show. The liberals are showing just what I have been saying about them for years, but these "geniuses" would rather pretend they are so complex in their thinking. Yeah, whatever. Their main contribution to these subjects is to attack posters since they are afraid to comment on these matters without looking like hypocritical fools to even themselves.

You're absolutely right. It was just the liberals complaining about it. Now Obama's in office and all the sudden it's an issue for conservatives.

:)

Meck77 12-31-2013 11:49 AM

It's official. Obama is a communist. Those that support Obama are communists.

barryr 12-31-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 4012337)
You're absolutely right. It was just the liberals complaining about it. Now Obama's in office and all the sudden it's an issue for conservatives.

:)

LOL, like I stated, liberals avoiding it.

houghtam 12-31-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryr (Post 4012349)
LOL, like I stated, liberals avoiding it.

Check post history.

Fail.

barryr 12-31-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 4012356)
Check post history.

Fail.

Yes, the amount of threads and posts from liberals is just staggering, especially when compared before 2009. Talk about fail. More like the usual liberal routine, "gee, I don't think I like this, but did you hear what the Duck Dynasty guy said?"

houghtam 12-31-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryr (Post 4012361)
Yes, the amount of threads and posts from liberals is just staggering, especially when compared before 2009. Talk about fail. More like the usual liberal routine, "gee, I don't think I like this, but did you hear what the Duck Dynasty guy said?"

Yes, the amount of threads and posts from conservatives before 2009 was just staggering, especially when compared to after 2009. Talk about fail. More like the usual conservative routine, "I know it was bad under our guy, but did you hear what conservative policy the uppity black guy in office continues to support?"

Garcia Bronco 01-06-2014 02:05 PM

This story sounds like bull**** and a complete waste of time.

alkemical 01-06-2014 09:47 PM

Only to fascists.

Garcia Bronco 01-07-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkemical (Post 4018062)
Only to fascists.

It wouldn't work on some people. For example, I reload a new machine when I get it and typically have to upgrade the BIOS as well. So any "spyware" on there would get blanked. Plus, this doesn't sound directed at particualr people...making it an even bigger waste of time.

Fedaykin 01-07-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 4018362)
It wouldn't work on some people. For example, I reload a new machine when I get it and typically have to upgrade the BIOS as well. So any "spyware" on there would get blanked.

Unless, of course, the BIOS or other hardware/firmware has been swapped or otherwise compromised. ;)

Quote:

Plus, this doesn't sound directed at particualr people...making it an even bigger waste of time.
I'm with you, I doubt this was some widespread thing. I would bet it happens for "persons of interest" though.

houghtam 01-07-2014 11:48 AM

Now you guys know me, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. That said, we all know that the government collects phone and internet records from everyone. This particular procedure sounds like it would be fairly inefficient, but I would not doubt for one second that each one of us has some form of government-sourced spyware on our computers, tablets or phones, and given that things like voice recognition technology had existed long before they were available to the public, I wouldn't be surprised if said spyware is virtually undetectable to most members of the general public.

We're all persons of interest.

BroncsRule 01-07-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedaykin (Post 4018406)
Unless, of course, the BIOS or other hardware/firmware has been swapped or otherwise compromised. ;)



I'm with you, I doubt this was some widespread thing. I would bet it happens for "persons of interest" though.

This.

Way too expensive to do in any kind of blanket, systematic way. Also, if every piece of hardware bound for the US retail market had to be funneled through a "black" facility first -

how would you propose to keep a thing like that under wraps?

houghtam 01-07-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncsRule (Post 4018462)
This.

Way too expensive to do in any kind of blanket, systematic way. Also, if every piece of hardware bound for the US retail market had to be funneled through a "black" facility first -

how would you propose to keep a thing like that under wraps?

Thermite and mini nukes?

Fedaykin 01-07-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 4018455)
Now you guys know me, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. That said, we all know that the government collects phone and internet records from everyone. This particular procedure sounds like it would be fairly inefficient, but I would not doubt for one second that each one of us has some form of government-sourced spyware on our computers, tablets or phones, and given that things like voice recognition technology had existed long before they were available to the public, I wouldn't be surprised if said spyware is virtually undetectable to most members of the general public.

We're all persons of interest.

They already have back doors, etc. being built in by the makers. No need to go to any extra effort for more detailed info except high priority targets.

Have you read about the RSA being paid off to compromise their own encryption technologies (which are what are used everywhere on the internet)?

houghtam 01-07-2014 01:01 PM

I know next to nothing about computers. I'm one of those people who, based on what I know your average every day nerd can do to someone's computer with next to no resources, just assumes that the government can and has been doing it far better for far longer.

You may be right about the exact nature of the spying, but suffice it to say, if they can (and do) collect phone and internet data from us, they probably can (and do) have all of our electronic devices "tapped" to some extent.

Why they would need that information, who knows. I'm thinking it's because they're coming for our guns, though. LOL

alkemical 01-07-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 4018362)
It wouldn't work on some people. For example, I reload a new machine when I get it and typically have to upgrade the BIOS as well. So any "spyware" on there would get blanked. Plus, this doesn't sound directed at particualr people...making it an even bigger waste of time.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...20&postcount=5

You aren't doing anything to hardware on hard-drives, are ya?

alkemical 01-07-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedaykin (Post 4018406)
Unless, of course, the BIOS or other hardware/firmware has been swapped or otherwise compromised. ;)



I'm with you, I doubt this was some widespread thing. I would bet it happens for "persons of interest" though.

Uhm, you do realize the NSA is collecting data on EVERYONE, right? I mean that's the whole Ed Snowden story.

alkemical 01-07-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 4018455)
Now you guys know me, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. That said, we all know that the government collects phone and internet records from everyone. This particular procedure sounds like it would be fairly inefficient, but I would not doubt for one second that each one of us has some form of government-sourced spyware on our computers, tablets or phones, and given that things like voice recognition technology had existed long before they were available to the public, I wouldn't be surprised if said spyware is virtually undetectable to most members of the general public.

We're all persons of interest.

HOMELAND security. You're guilty before innocent.

alkemical 01-07-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncsRule (Post 4018462)
This.

Way too expensive to do in any kind of blanket, systematic way. Also, if every piece of hardware bound for the US retail market had to be funneled through a "black" facility first -

how would you propose to keep a thing like that under wraps?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...20&postcount=5

What about having requirements for backdoors into technology? That is happening.

As far as expense, it doesn't matter. You've seen the Utah NSA data center, no? The Ed Snowden/NSA story states that it is blank surveillance.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.