The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How many of our 2013 starters would start for the 97 team? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113378)

ATL-Eric 12-14-2013 06:14 PM

How many of our 2013 starters would start for the 97 team?

Von, Woodyard and maybe Harris at the Nickel but thats all I got...

Broncos_OTM 12-14-2013 06:17 PM

Sharpe, TD, Atwater, Mobley, Neil Smith, Most of the OL, just off the top of my head

TD30 12-14-2013 06:21 PM

Manning?

Broncos_OTM 12-14-2013 06:24 PM

lol read that backwards.. disregaurd.

errand 12-14-2013 06:27 PM

Well we know none of the '97 Broncos could start for this team as they're just way too old now.

Man-Goblin 12-14-2013 06:42 PM

Are you talking about the second Super Bowl team?

If so,

DRC is probably just as good as Crockett or Gordon, if not better. Darius Johnston had two picks in the Super Bowl, but Haris is probably better. And Von would be the best player on the Defense if he wasn't fat and they used him right; maybe slide Romo to MLB and Von takes Cadrez's spot.

The offense is where it gets real tricky. QB. Nope I'm not going to entertain it. You could find some way to get Clady and Vasquez to start for that team. But I'm not sure you could take the WRs off the field considering the offense they ran. They blocked like beasts.

Special teams, I'll take both their kickers now, but Darien Gordon gets a huge nod over Holliday. I don't remember ever being terrified with Gordon back there.

Man-Goblin 12-14-2013 06:49 PM

Second thought, give me Elam over Prater. I would just be more comfortable with Elam with the game on the line.

Dr. Broncenstein 12-14-2013 06:58 PM

Elway
TD
Rod Smith
McCaffrey
Sharpe
Zimmerman
Schlereth
Nalen
Atwater
Neil Smith

I'd take the above over respective present starters in a hot minute.

Dr. Broncenstein 12-14-2013 07:00 PM

97 team would kick the ever living **** out of this team.

ATL-Eric 12-14-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3998906)
Elway
TD
Rod Smith
McCaffrey
Sharpe
Zimmerman
Schlereth
Nalen
Atwater
Neil Smith

I'd take the above over respective present starters in a hot minute.

Tony Jones and Howard Griffith were both pro bowlers and dont forget about Alfred williams, Romo, Traylor, Aldridge, Braxton

BMORE 12-14-2013 07:11 PM

Elway, I mean that's just Homer Talk.

Punisher 12-14-2013 07:15 PM

Portis

Wes Mantooth 12-14-2013 07:18 PM

where is the Mike Lodish love?

Ziggy 12-14-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man-Goblin (Post 3998904)
Second thought, give me Elam over Prater. I would just be more comfortable with Elam with the game on the line.

Prater is clutch. He's as good as there's ever been with the game on the line.

Quote:

PRATER AT A GLANCE:
• A seventh-year kicker who ranks first in franchise history in field goal accuracy having converted 134-of-163 (.822) attempts in his first six seasons with the Broncos.
• Converted 45-of-48 (.938) career field goals in the fourth quarter in addition to connecting on all four of his attempts in overtime.
• Set an NFL record with a 64-yard filed goal vs. Tennessee (12/8/13).
• Owns the best field goal percentage from 50+ yards (.769/ 20-of-26) in league history among players who started their career after 1970 (min. 20 att.)
• Owns four AFC Special Teams Player of the Week awards (2008, ‘09, ‘11, ‘12) and two AFC Special Teams Player of the Month honors (Sept. ‘09, Dec./Jan. ‘11) for his NFL career.
• Set a franchise kicker record with 133 points scored (26/32 FGs, 55/55 PATs) and led the NFL with 65 touchbacks on kickoffs in 2012.
• Delivered four game-winning field goals on the last play of the game in 2011 (3 in OT, 1 on last play of regulation) to tie for the second most in a single season in NFL history.
• Joined Mike Vanderjagt as the only two players in NFL history to kick a 50+yard field goal with less than a minute remaining in regulation to force overtime in addition to converting a 50+yard game-winning field goal in overtime with his performance vs. Chicago (12/11/11).
• Made 16-of-18 field goals in 2010 to represent the second-highest single-season field goal percentage (.889) in team history (min. 10 att.).
• Converted 18 consecutive field goal attempts, spanning the last eight games in 2009 and the first six contests in 2010, to represent the third-longest such streak in Broncos history.
• Tied the Broncos’ single-season record and ranked fourth in the NFL with five 50-yard field goals, including a career-long 56-yarder as well as two 50-yarders in one game, in 2008.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/ro...b-def0bf50b97f

Archer81 12-14-2013 07:20 PM

Hmm...

1997 Offense:
Elway
Davis
Griffith
Smith
McCaffrey
Sharpe
Zimmerman
Schlereth
Nalen
Habib
Jones

Manning
Moreno
Thomas
Decker
Welker
Thomas
Clark
Beadles
Ramirez
Vasquez
Franklin

Different eras. Different base offenses. Plus I am horribly biased, and that 1997 team was pretty ****ing awesome. So no real change.

1997 Defense
Smith
Traylor
Lodish
Williams
Mobley
Aldridge
Romo
Crockett
Gordon
Atwater
Braxton

2013 Defense

Wolfe
Knighton
Unrein
Phillips/Ayers
Travathan
Woodyard
Miller
DRC
Webster
Boldin
Ihenacho

Defense is a little bit easier. Von for Romo (oh, the horror...), DRC for Crockett, Knighton for Lodish. Otherwise I'd stay pat.

1997 kicker/punter
Rouen
Elam

2013 K/P
Prater
Colquitt

I'd take both Prater and Colquitt over Elam and Rouen.

It's hard to compare a championship team to the current team until this team wins a title.

:Broncos:

Dr. Broncenstein 12-14-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATL-Eric (Post 3998908)
Tony Jones and Howard Griffith were both pro bowlers and dont forget about Alfred williams, Romo, Traylor, Aldridge, Braxton

I didn't forget them. I said specifically who was superior at respective positions. Everyone else is a wash at best.

Dr. Broncenstein 12-14-2013 07:22 PM

Elway >>>>>>>>>>>> Manning. It's not even close.

OBF1 12-14-2013 07:26 PM

I never knew Von Miller could play MLB, I would take Romo over Von at MLB, but the Miller of last year... would have to be played somewhere, this year I would have to say NO.

Dr. Broncenstein 12-14-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATL-Eric (Post 3998888)

You must have been in a coma and/or not alive at the time to come to this conclusion.

OBF1 12-14-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATL-Eric (Post 3998888)

The stupid runs deep in this poster.

Dr. Broncenstein 12-14-2013 07:37 PM

Imagine Elway throwing for the entirety of his career to guys like Harrison, Wayne, and Clark. Add Edgerin James, and re-write the rule book specifically to enhance Elway's production and longevity.

BroncosfanGuy 12-14-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMORE (Post 3998909)
Elway, I mean that's just Homer Talk.

because only a homer can take the guy who carried his teams to 3 Super Bowls in the 80s and won 2 others a decade later? A QB who played in an era where QBs were not protected as they are now and offenses did not have the rules changed/emphasized to tilt the league to a quasi-Arena-style game. Both QBs are on the short list of best QBs to play the game. It's not a homer pick and it really isn't much of a slight (if it's a slight at all) to Manning either.

BroncosfanGuy 12-14-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OBF1 (Post 3998921)
I never knew Von Miller could play MLB, I would take Romo over Von at MLB, but the Miller of last year... would have to be played somewhere, this year I would have to say NO.

Romo was an OLB on the 97 team. Aldridge was the mike. Von over Romo easily imo.

errand 12-14-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man-Goblin (Post 3998903)
Are you talking about the second Super Bowl team?

If so,

DRC is probably just as good as Crockett or Gordon, if not better. Darius Johnston had two picks in the Super Bowl, but Haris is probably better. And Von would be the best player on the Defense if he wasn't fat and they used him right; maybe slide Romo to MLB and Von takes Cadrez's spot.

The offense is where it gets real tricky. QB. Nope I'm not going to entertain it. You could find some way to get Clady and Vasquez to start for that team. But I'm not sure you could take the WRs off the field considering the offense they ran. They blocked like beasts.

Special teams, I'll take both their kickers now, but Darien Gordon gets a huge nod over Holliday. I don't remember ever being terrified with Gordon back there.

DRC and Harris would have certainly started over Gordon and Crockett.....btw, it was Gordon who had two picks in the SB vs. Falcons

BMORE 12-14-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3998928)
Imagine Elway throwing for the entirety of his career to guys like Harrison, Wayne, and Clark. Add Edgerin James, and re-write the rule book specifically to enhance Elway's production and longevity.

Some Harrison, Wayne, Clark were all pros and they made Manning look good? I forgot about all the other players Manning has had like Blair White, Anthony Gonzales, Austin Collie, Pierre Garηon, Jacob Tamme, Ben Utect, Brody Eldridge, Joseph Addai, Dominick Rhodes...

Should I touch the offensive line?

Peyton makes everyone he plays with better. Look at Caldwell Thursday night. You act as though Elway played with no talent. Maybe Manning enhanced the level of everyone around him.

Imagine if Peyton had TD running the ball and the Broncos defense.