The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore.... (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113318)

txtebow 12-12-2013 01:05 PM

Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore....
 
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/h...christmas.html



"Of course, since we created Santa, we can certainly change him however we’d like—and we have, many times over. Like the holiday itself, Santa has long since been extracted from his religious roots, even if the name St. Nicholas still gets thrown around. Our current design takes inspiration from multiple sources, including Washington Irving’s 1809 description of St. Nick “riding jollily among the tree tops, or over the roofs of the houses, now and then drawing forth magnificent presents from his breeches pockets, and dropping them down the chimnies of his favourites.” When Clement Clarke Moore published “A Visit from St. Nicholas” in 1823, the old man was described and illustrated as a “plump” but elfin figure. Since then, Santa has been redesigned and re-appropriated to push everything from soda to war.


So let’s ditch Santa the old white man altogether, and embrace Penguin Claus—who will join the Easter Bunny in the pantheon of friendly, secular visitors from the animal kingdom who come to us as the representatives of ostensibly religious holidays. It’s time to hand over the reins to those deer and let the universally beloved waddling bird warm the hearts of children everywhere, regardless of the color of their skin."


HOUGHTAM PROBABLY AGREES that JOLLY OLD SAINT NICK NEEDS TO DIE AND GO AWAY!!! :wiggle:

bronco militia 12-12-2013 01:16 PM

don't worry, the Left has canceled Christmas


<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wr2LCTdIzd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

txtebow 12-12-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txtebow (Post 3995382)
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/h...christmas.html



"Of course, since we created Santa, we can certainly change him however we’d like—and we have, many times over. Like the holiday itself, Santa has long since been extracted from his religious roots, even if the name St. Nicholas still gets thrown around. Our current design takes inspiration from multiple sources, including Washington Irving’s 1809 description of St. Nick “riding jollily among the tree tops, or over the roofs of the houses, now and then drawing forth magnificent presents from his breeches pockets, and dropping them down the chimnies of his favourites.” When Clement Clarke Moore published “A Visit from St. Nicholas” in 1823, the old man was described and illustrated as a “plump” but elfin figure. Since then, Santa has been redesigned and re-appropriated to push everything from soda to war.


So let’s ditch Santa the old white man altogether, and embrace Penguin Claus—who will join the Easter Bunny in the pantheon of friendly, secular visitors from the animal kingdom who come to us as the representatives of ostensibly religious holidays. It’s time to hand over the reins to those deer and let the universally beloved waddling bird warm the hearts of children everywhere, regardless of the color of their skin."


HOUGHTAM PROBABLY AGREES that JOLLY OLD SAINT NICK NEEDS TO DIE AND GO AWAY!!! :wiggle:

At first I thought that this was an article from the ONION...but sadly, it's NOT....

Rigs11 12-13-2013 08:57 AM

here's one that will get the right's panties in a wad. jesus was probably not white either.Hilarious!

bronco militia 12-13-2013 09:02 AM

come on...Jews aren't white

a little help gaff?

Ha!

Johnykbr 12-13-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigs11 (Post 3998062)
here's one that will get the right's panties in a wad. jesus was probably not white either.Hilarious!

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Jesus had "olive" colored skin (most closely similar to a present-day Greek) as they say and that the one we see so often is just a European representation...

houghtam 12-13-2013 11:58 AM

Not according to this dumb whore.

It's totally, like, a scientifically verifiable fact, like, ohmyGOD!

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...white.cnn.html

Pony Boy 12-13-2013 12:00 PM

If you like your Santa Claus being a white man, you'll be able to keep your white Santa, period. No one will take it away, no matter what.

txtebow 12-13-2013 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sure this brings back childhood memories huh HOUGHTAM?

orinjkrush 12-13-2013 03:16 PM

the war against white christian heterosexual males enters its final phases.....

Lincoln was really gay, black, muslim vampire killer, doncha know?

txtebow 12-13-2013 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh hell, why not?

:wave:

txtebow 12-13-2013 03:21 PM

Who was Saint Nicholas?
 
http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/origin-of-santa/

How did the kindly Christian saint, good Bishop Nicholas, become a roly-poly red-suited American symbol for merry holiday festivity and commercial activity? History tells the tale.

The first Europeans to arrive in the New World brought St. Nicholas. Vikings dedicated their cathedral to him in Greenland. On his first voyage, Columbus named a Haitian port for St. Nicholas on December 6, 1492. In Florida, Spaniards named an early settlement St. Nicholas Ferry, now known as Jacksonville. However, St. Nicholas had a difficult time during the 16th century Protestant Reformation which took a dim view of saints. Even though both reformers and counter-reformers tried to stamp out St. Nicholas-related customs, they had very little long-term success except in England where the religious folk traditions were permanently altered. (It is ironic that fervent Puritan Christians began what turned into a trend to a more secular Christmas observance.) Because the common people so loved St. Nicholas, he survived on the European continent as people continued to place nuts, apples, and sweets in shoes left beside beds, on windowsills, or before the hearth

houghtam 12-13-2013 03:42 PM

That's only part of the story. Contrary to popular opinion, St. Nicholas isn't the sole basis for Santa Claus mythology.

Santa is a combination of St. Nick, Norse and Germanic gods, and other Christmas figures such as Father Christmas/Pere Noel. I suggest you educate yourself in those facts before simply copying and pasting what someone else thinks it is.

So if Santa is already a combination of a bunch of different bits of lore and legend, I have absolutely no problem with anyone ascribing to Santa qualities outside what we in the 21st century feel is tradition. To deny someone that ability is nothing short of hypocrisy, considering someone 1000 years ago would likely be confused or angry over what "our" definition of Santa (reindeer, elves) has become.

Simply put, since "your" Santa is already a bastard, you don't get to complain about the bastardization of "their" Santa.

txtebow 12-13-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3998456)
That's only part of the story. Contrary to popular opinion, St. Nicholas isn't the sole basis for Santa Claus mythology.

Santa is a combination of St. Nick, Norse and Germanic gods, and other Christmas figures such as Father Christmas/Pere Noel. I suggest you educate yourself in those facts before simply copying and pasting what someone else thinks it is.

So if Santa is already a combination of a bunch of different bits of lore and legend, I have absolutely no problem with anyone ascribing to Santa qualities outside what we in the 21st century feel is tradition. To deny someone that ability is nothing short of hypocrisy, considering someone 1000 years ago would likely be confused or angry over what "our" definition of Santa (reindeer, elves) has become.

Simply put, since "your" Santa is already a bastard, you don't get to complain about the bastardization of "their" Santa.


No I WILL complain about THEIR attempts to undermine my Good Ole' Saint NICK and a holiday born from EUROPEAN TRADITIONS AND CULTURE!

Let them imagine "KWANZA CLAUS" as AA.... I down wit dat........

houghtam 12-13-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txtebow (Post 3998486)
No I WILL complain about THEIR attempts to undermine my Good Ole' Saint NICK and a holiday born from EUROPEAN TRADITIONS AND CULTURE!

Let them imagine "KWANZA CLAUS" as AA.... I down wit dat........

Complain all you want. Won't do you any good, and reeks of hypocrisy.

Personally, I grew up believing in the traditional image of Santa, but like I said, it doesn't bother me one iota what other people believe. I thought you righties were all about personal freedom.

Besides, isn't Christmas supposed to be about, you know, Christ? I'm sure Jee-zuss would be thrilled with your narrow views. :)

houghtam 12-13-2013 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey txtebow, do you know where St. Nicholas was born?

Demre, Turkey. Here is a man in Demre (jolly ole St. Nick's stomping grounds) selling St. Nick memorabilia:

Sure looks like a white guy to me!

Hilarious!

Fedaykin 12-13-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3998490)
Complain all you want. Won't do you any good, and reeks of hypocrisy.

Personally, I grew up believing in the traditional image of Santa, but like I said, it doesn't bother me one iota what other people believe. I thought you righties were all about personal freedom.

Besides, isn't Christmas supposed to be about, you know, Christ? I'm sure Jee-zuss would be thrilled with your narrow views. :)

Imagine the hilarity of having the historical figures of St. Nick and Jesus time warped to the present? The winguts would blow a gasket on the first look.

"You mean, they're brown? LIES!"

houghtam 12-13-2013 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mustafa Guzel, owner of a shop near the cathedral, probably looks a lot more similar to St. Nicholas (b. Nikolaos...that sure is an Anglo name! LOL) than Santa Claus does.

:)

houghtam 12-13-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedaykin (Post 3998503)
Imagine the hilarity of having the historical figures of St. Nick and Jesus time warped to the present? The winguts would blow a gasket on the first look.

"You mean, they're brown? LIES!"

Yeppers.

txtebow: "You can't steal the icon for Christmas that we stole in the first place! Next you're going to tell me that we didn't invent the Christmas tree or that gift-giving near the winter solstice happened for hundreds of years before Christmas was ever celebrated!"

txtebow 12-13-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3998499)
Hey txtebow, do you know where St. Nicholas was born?

Demre, Turkey. Here is a man in Demre (jolly ole St. Nick's stomping grounds) selling St. Nick memorabilia:

Sure looks like a white guy to me!

Hilarious!

I'm olive skinned and Italian; I recognize Santa Claus as white and the guy pictured above looks a lot more like me and Santa than the author of the original article noted in post #1

Further, post a picture of a guy from Brooklyn, New York, in 1920 and he looks just like me; post a picture of a guy from Brooklyn New York tiday and he's likely to look Puerto Rican or Black.

txtebow 12-13-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3998508)
Yeppers.

txtebow: "You can't steal the icon for Christmas that we stole in the first place! Next you're going to tell me that we didn't invent the Christmas tree or that gift-giving near the winter solstice happened for hundreds of years before Christmas was ever celebrated!"

You stand for nothing. I stand proud. That's what makes me successful and what makes you an unemployed ex concession stand manager. If we ever met in person I'd bet I would feel ashamed for even conversing with you.

LONG LIVE THE FAT, WHITE & BEARDED JOLLY OLD SAINT NICK!!

houghtam 12-13-2013 04:56 PM

Anyone else find it ironic that someone fighting so hard for the image of Santa Claus, a symbol of peace and goodness, has to resort to personal attacks to try and get whatever point he is trying to make across?

:yayaya:

txtebow 12-13-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3998526)
Anyone else find it ironic that someone fighting so hard for the image of Santa Claus, a symbol of peace and goodness, has to resort to personal attacks to try and get whatever point he is trying to make across?

:yayaya:

I made my point LONG before resorting to defining your existence in a FACTUAL context..... And I have it on good authority that you're on track for another lump of coal in your stocking. Merry Christmas!

houghtam 12-13-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txtebow (Post 3998536)
I made my point LONG before resorting to defining your existence in a FACTUAL context..... And I have it on good authority that you're on track for another lump of coal in your stocking. Merry Christmas!

And your point was invalidated. Your Santa is a bastard.

Happy Holidays!

:wave:

Fedaykin 12-13-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3998540)
And your point was invalidated. Your Santa is a bastard.

Happy Holidays!

:wave:

I think the proper term is "mongrel"


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.