The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Off Topics Forum (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Space Station Cooling System Failure (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113312)

broncosteven 12-11-2013 04:38 PM

Space Station Cooling System Failure
 
NASA may need to pull Gene out of retirement to save the 6 men orbiting 250 miles above the Earth.

An emergency space walk may need to be performed to fix a valve or the pump.

Lets hope this doesn't turn into a "Gravity" type situation for the 6 man crew, and that this is resolved quickly. The space station just turned 15 years old. It is amazing it hasn't had any major issues.

Update on Space Station Cooling System:

Earlier Wednesday, the pump module on one of the space stationís two external cooling loops automatically shut down when it reached pre-set temperature limits. These loops circulate ammonia outside the station to keep both internal and external equipment cool. The flight control teams worked to get the cooling loop back up and running, and they suspect a flow control valve actually inside the pump itself might not be functioning correctly.
At no time was the crew or the station itself in any danger, but the ground teams did work to move certain electrical systems over to the second loop. Some non-critical systems have been powered down inside the Harmony node, the Kibo laboratory and the Columbus laboratory while the teams work to figure out what caused the valve to not function correctly and how to fix it. The crew is safe and preparing to begin a normal sleep shift while experts on the ground collect more data and consider what troubleshooting activities may be necessary.

More at the link below.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/update-o...l#.UqkELvRDumQ

CHEF LUIGI 12-11-2013 04:58 PM

do they have enough tang?

SimonFletcher73 12-12-2013 06:47 AM

Gene has all the "tang" one man could ever want.

Pony Boy 12-12-2013 07:26 AM

Does this mean they won't get the feed of the game tonight ..... nothing else really matters in the big picture.

ghwk 12-12-2013 09:49 AM

I have images of Howard from Big Bang Theory saying get me the heck off of here....

OBF1 12-12-2013 11:02 AM

Send Steven to save the day, Gene would be proud to hand off the torch to such a worth stalker :)

broncosteven 12-12-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OBF1 (Post 3995297)
Send Steven to save the day, Gene would be proud to hand off the torch to such a worth stalker :)

Nothing a couple handful's of goofballs can't fix.

Earlier Wednesday, the pump module on one of the space stationís two external cooling loops automatically shut down when it reached pre-set temperature limits. These loops circulate ammonia outside the station to keep both internal and external equipment cool. The flight control teams worked to get the cooling loop back up and running, and they suspect a flow control valve actually inside the pump module itself might not be functioning correctly.
At no time was the crew or the station itself in any danger, but the ground teams did work to move certain electrical systems over to the second loop. Some non-critical systems have been powered down inside the Harmony node, the Kibo laboratory and the Columbus laboratory while the teams work to figure out what caused the valve to not function correctly and how to fix it. The crew is safe and preparing to begin a normal sleep shift while experts on the ground collect more data and consider what troubleshooting activities may be necessary.

bronco militia 12-12-2013 11:22 AM

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content...et-423x600.jpg

I got this

OBF1 12-12-2013 11:41 AM

LMAO

Dr. Broncenstein 12-12-2013 11:45 AM

Easily the best photoshp of the year

scorpio 12-12-2013 11:53 AM

Why don't they just open a window?

broncosteven 12-12-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 3995325)
Why don't they just open a window?

Because this would happen if they did

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...lsthepeach.jpg

DivineLegion 12-12-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3995463)
Because this would happen if they did

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...lsthepeach.jpg

Why is the Ninja ripping of Jesus' balls.

Kaylore 12-12-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivineLegion (Post 3995465)
Why is the Ninja ripping of Jesus' balls.

That ninja is a nazi and he knows Jesus is Jewish and is trying to prevent him from spreading his seed.

colorado jones 12-12-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI (Post 3994823)
do they have enough tang?

You mean poon tang right?

DivineLegion 12-12-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3995466)
That ninja is a nazi and he knows Jesus is Jewish and is trying to prevent him from spreading his seed.

But Jesus wasn't interested in spreading his seed, just havesting wheat, the humanity. What's next, sanding Buddhas bald head when he asks for a wax at a day spa, or sending the Girls Gone wild team to Muslim universities with a captive Muhammed forced to watch having his eyes forced open with toothpicks?


Those damn Nazis! I'm not in art school, but I'm going to get an art degree just to show Hitler whats up.

broncosteven 12-18-2013 06:38 PM

NASA decided Tuesday that two Americans stationed on the International Space Station would conduct a series of space walks starting this week to fix a broken cooling system, the Associated Press reports.

The station’s cooling system broke down last week and the crew, which also includes three Russian and one Japanese astronaut, had to shut off non-vital equipment and scientific experiments.



Read more: NASA Plans Spacewalks to Repair Space Station | TIME.com http://science.time.com/2013/12/17/n...#ixzz2nsuCNIMe

http://science.time.com/2013/12/17/n...space-station/

theAPAOps5 12-18-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 4002174)
NASA decided Tuesday that two Americans stationed on the International Space Station would conduct a series of space walks starting this week to fix a broken cooling system, the Associated Press reports.

The stationís cooling system broke down last week and the crew, which also includes three Russian and one Japanese astronaut, had to shut off non-vital equipment and scientific experiments.



Read more: NASA Plans Spacewalks to Repair Space Station | TIME.com http://science.time.com/2013/12/17/n...#ixzz2nsuCNIMe

http://science.time.com/2013/12/17/n...space-station/

http://www.philebrity.com/wp-content...ats_racist.gif

BroncoMan4ever 12-18-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 4002174)
NASA decided Tuesday that two Americans stationed on the International Space Station would conduct a series of space walks starting this week to fix a broken cooling system, the Associated Press reports.

The stationís cooling system broke down last week and the crew, which also includes three Russian and one Japanese astronaut, had to shut off non-vital equipment and scientific experiments.



Read more: NASA Plans Spacewalks to Repair Space Station | TIME.com http://science.time.com/2013/12/17/n...#ixzz2nsuCNIMe

http://science.time.com/2013/12/17/n...space-station/

Damn right! America!

Americans to fellow astronauts. "We got this. Just sit there with your vodka and sushi while America does all the work."

bronco militia 12-18-2013 08:37 PM

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...y_VisionEx.jpg

AZBroncomaniac 12-18-2013 09:33 PM

This will very likely be a dumb question, but here goes. How do astronauts now enter and exit space with the space shuttle program being shut down? Are we being transported by another country? I could look this up, but figured I'd keep the topic going and give Broncosteven a chance to throw down some knowledge.

theAPAOps5 12-18-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZBroncomaniac (Post 4002230)
This will very likely be a dumb question, but here goes. How do astronauts now enter and exit space with the space shuttle program being shut down? Are we being transported by another country? I could look this up, but figured I'd keep the topic going and give Broncosteven a chance to throw down some knowledge.

We go up with the ruskies... Land with the ruskies too. They use the old pod system and parachute.

broncosteven 12-19-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 (Post 4002237)
We go up with the ruskies... Land with the ruskies too. They use the old pod system and parachute.

Yep, For now anyone wanting to send astronauts (or Cosmonauts) to the space station need to do it at the Baikonur Cosmodrome.

China sent a man into space but they don't have the adapter to dock, at least that we know of and they aren't going to tell us that they have sent men up until afterwards.

NASA is outsourcing orbital manned flights to private contractors like SpaceX to focus on deep space missions via the new SLS (Space Launch System) that uses the Orion craft for manned deep space missions yet to be determined. Sounds like they will send it to an Asteroid rendezvous or a manned mission to Mars. They have the gantry built, they repuroposed the Shuttles old engines and are testing the tanks and have a mock up of the capsule ready. The 1st test launch of the Orion Stack is set for 2014! The 1st manned mission may not be until 2017 or later. I fear later.

NASA wants to leave the smaller jobs to private enterprise and do the other harder things because private company's would be less likely to pull them off.

AZBroncomaniac 12-19-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 (Post 4002237)
We go up with the ruskies... Land with the ruskies too. They use the old pod system and parachute.

Thank you sir! Amazing how far our countries have come in just over 20 years.

AZBroncomaniac 12-19-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 4002446)
Yep, For now anyone wanting to send astronauts (or Cosmonauts) to the space station need to do it at the Baikonur Cosmodrome.

China sent a man into space but they don't have the adapter to dock, at least that we know of and they aren't going to tell us that they have sent men up until afterwards.

NASA is outsourcing orbital manned flights to private contractors like SpaceX to focus on deep space missions via the new SLS (Space Launch System) that uses the Orion craft for manned deep space missions yet to be determined. Sounds like they will send it to an Asteroid rendezvous or a manned mission to Mars. They have the gantry built, they repuroposed the Shuttles old engines and are testing the tanks and have a mock up of the capsule ready. The 1st test launch of the Orion Stack is set for 2014! The 1st manned mission may not be until 2017 or later. I fear later.

NASA wants to leave the smaller jobs to private enterprise and do the other harder things because private company's would be less likely to pull them off.

So NASA is focusing on bigger and brighter pastures, while leaving the "been there done that" work to the private sector?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.