The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Maniac Community Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   OT: Thinking of moving, Denver is one city I'm considering! (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113220)

ro_50 12-04-2013 07:50 AM

OT: Thinking of moving, Denver is one city I'm considering!

Hello fellow Orangemaners!

Its Ro_50. Its been a long, long time since I've posted on here but I do come here often and check out the posts.

I had a question that was not sports related.

I'm contemplating moving away from New Jersey (been here 7 years) and want to make one final move before settling down in a new city.

I like NJ but I want a change and go somewhere fresh and make a new start for myself.

I'm looking to move by 2015 and the cities I've considered have been Chicago (a city which I love and been there nearly 15 times), Seattle and Denver.

I'm posting this because I've never been to Denver and don't know much about the area (other than what I've read about). I have friends who live near Littleton and thinking about visiting next year sometime to get a feel for the city.

I just wanted to know for a single 34-year old guy who wouldn't want to live in the city but in the suburbs (want to settle down eventually and have a family), how is the job market out there in general and cost of living?

I venture it's not cheap but its not as expensive as New Jersey.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rabb 12-04-2013 08:02 AM

paging whoever Mighty Smurf is now, whoever Mighty Smurf is now please pick up a white courtesy phone...

HorseHead 12-04-2013 08:08 AM

Seattle > Denver, Chicago..

Don't get me wrong, all three are great cities. Chicago is awesome, as is Denver. I think Seattle is the place to go west young man...

Beantown Bronco 12-04-2013 08:10 AM

How long before OBF1 comes in here and cries about the OT thread on the main page?

TonyR 12-04-2013 08:13 AM

Coincidentally, I grew up in the Littleton/Columbine area and had to move to NJ with my parents just before starting high school. I ended up staying in this area due primarily to landing a job here after graduating from college. My parents are back in CO so I still come out there occasionally. Denver has changed a lot since I moved away but I still love it and would recommend to anyone. I particularly love the Denver climate compared to this area. One thing that will be jarring for you is how lush and green everything is here in the summer, and how dry, barren and brown Denver and surrounding areas are by comparison. About the only "negative" I can think of, really. That and not being close to the shore, and big cities like Philly, Baltimore, NY, and DC, if you care about those things.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 12-04-2013 08:35 AM

Come out here to Carmel. There's a house down the street from me in the beginning of pebble beach about to go on the market again. Only 79 million.

http://priceypads.com/wp-content/upl.../04/Aerial.jpg

Irish Stout 12-04-2013 08:46 AM

If you love Chicago, check out Denver. Its not similar in any respect, but I have found a lot of people who love Chicago love Denver.

Seattle is awesome. I take the Seattle or Denver weather any day over Chicago. I cannot stand wind and humidity in the winter.

Really depends on whats important to you and where you can get a decent job though. You'll be able to settle down in the burbs anywhere… the big question you want to know is what is easily accessible to those burbs. Mountains, water, weather, sports teams, entertainment?

ColoradoDarin 12-04-2013 08:52 AM

If you want grey clouds and drizzly rain weather for 7 months without a break then move to Seattle! In Oregon, I never adjusted to that (5-6 months of the same 42 degrees for the high and the low with a light rain and full cloud cover), but the summers were awesome.

Meck77 12-04-2013 09:00 AM

Visited Seattle a few times. I concur with ColoradoDarin. The lack of sun drives me nuts after a few days. Cool area though for sure.

There are still screaming deals in the front range. Market has gotten a bit soft lately. Rates are still killer. I'm not in the rate predicting business but pretty obvious they are going to be tightened by the fed over the next few years.

If you have the ability I would buy a fixer upper now and rent it. Rentals are EXTREMELY tight. Toss is some fresh paint and rental grade carpet and cash flow it til 2015, rip out all the carpet and Customize it how you want in 2015.

You'd be up 50k or more.

I have associates who can help you buy and even manage it for you. Same for anyone else. I've been busy the last few years doing some renovations of my own but have time to help some others again.

Ratboy 12-04-2013 09:04 AM

I visited Denver for the first time in during Week 3.

The air is really dry. That's probably the biggest downside to my 4 day visit to Denver. I really wish I could have taken the time to drive into the mountains, but I slacked a bit.

The rest seemed like every other place in America.

broncocalijohn 12-04-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ro_50 (Post 3988061)
Hello fellow Orangemaners!

Its Ro_50.

Thank you for clarifing this point. For a minute there, we might have thought someone hacked your account.

I had a question that was not sports related.

I think you are in trouble. Sounds like a place for Maniac area but ask OF1 for his thoughts on this.

I'm contemplating moving away from New Jersey (been here 7 years) and want to make one final move before settling down in a new city.

Ok, what is it? You want to move away from NJ but seems you are looking for a city to live in for a final move before deciding to live in a new city. So what non new city are you moving to ?

I like NJ but I want a change and go somewhere fresh and make a new start for myself.

Finally! To this California, NJ people are weird. Yes, a SoCaler just called out NJ.

I'm looking to move by 2015 and the cities I've considered have been Chicago (a city which I love and been there nearly 15 times), Seattle and Denver.

So choices are before your choice of depressing Seattle, windy Chicago or Cow town Denver?

I'm posting this because I've never been to Denver and don't know much about the area (other than what I've read about). I have friends who live near Littleton and thinking about visiting next year sometime to get a feel for the city.

Oh ****! Asking Maners about life decisions might be not be a good choice. Did you read the thread on Myrtle Beach? Some really bad opinions that turned out to be horribly wrong.

I just wanted to know for a single 34-year old guy who wouldn't want to live in the city but in the suburbs (want to settle down eventually and have a family), how is the job market out there in general and cost of living?

34 and single? You are gay. Boulder or Florence might be a better choice.

I venture it's not cheap but its not as expensive as New Jersey.

Aqua Net? Probably not found in cases at Costco but it is all about supply and demand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Prepare your anus

Thanks!

See bold and good luck!

enjolras 12-04-2013 09:10 AM

Why would you want the expense of a place like Denver, Chicago, or Seattle? If you want to live in a ****ty suburb there are lots of better places to do it. Watching the miles of traffic jams this morning on TV drives that point home.

The actual city of Denver, on the other hand, is amazing. Walkable, vibrant, and varied. It's my favorite place on earth and it's why my wife and I choose to make our family home here.

Peoples Champ 12-04-2013 09:23 AM

if your going just on weather, i would say denver is the best. I think it might be the most bang for your buck in cost of living as well. Seattle and Chicago are higher (you can google cost of living in top cities and see what ranks higher).

As for being single, all 3 cities have hot girls and plenty of nightlife.

TonyR 12-04-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratboy (Post 3988110)
The air is really dry.

This is another "negative" I failed to mention in my previous post. It it an adjustment for people coming from more humid climates.

CHEF LUIGI 12-04-2013 09:32 AM

single 34/ check out LODO, you wont need a car or consider Portland if you can deal with the NW weather.
If you love sports, Denver is your town. if , if you only like football, seattle can get your fix for half the year...
I live in scottsdale, the greatest place on earth when its not june, july or august.

Brewer 12-04-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncocalijohn (Post 3988112)
See bold and good luck!

Nice- a dude from Orange County making fun of Denver? Ha ha ha ha! Orange County! Other than the fact that it shares a name with one of the Broncos' most important colors, it's a **** hole. Honestly.

Ok, as far as a Jersey boy moving to Colorado, we're full. There's no room here. And you Californians can stay in California. This is Colorado. If you do end up disobeying me and come here from California, DO NOT b**** about how this is not California. We know. That's why we live here. If you don't like it then hurry back to Cali. :peace: Seriously, though, there are people from all over the world living in Colorado and that's cool in a lot of ways. What's not cool is when they start to whine about all of the things they miss about where they came from. Shut up about it, you chose to move to Colorado. I don't care about how great it was where you used to live. Instead of jacking your jaws about it just pack your ****e and move back. That is all.:welcome:

broncocalijohn 12-04-2013 09:42 AM

^^^ nice rant. You really think Denver is still considered a Cow Town? Roll with the post. Had to be negative about all 3 cities. I could have said about Chicago that "Broncosteven lives there"

I actually love Denver...when I am not in awesome OC.

OC= ****hole. Comments made by those who can't afford it :)

DHallblows 12-04-2013 10:12 AM

Dry air is a negative? Come back to me when it's 100 degrees in July or -5 in January and tell me how you wish there was more moisture in the air ::) People are crazy.

bronco militia 12-04-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHallblows (Post 3988168)
Dry air is a negative? Come back to me when it's 100 degrees in July or -5 in January and tell me how you wish there was more moisture in the air ::) People are crazy.

FINE WITH ME...WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE a-holeS MOVING HERE

GTFO :approve:

Powderaddict 12-04-2013 10:27 AM

Colorado sucks. Probably should move somewhere nicer.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 12-04-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewer (Post 3988141)
Nice- a dude from Orange County making fun of Denver? Ha ha ha ha! Orange County! Other than the fact that it shares a name with one of the Broncos' most important colors, it's a **** hole. Honestly.

Ok, as far as a Jersey boy moving to Colorado, we're full. There's no room here. And you Californians can stay in California. This is Colorado. If you do end up disobeying me and come here from California, DO NOT b**** about how this is not California. We know. That's why we live here. If you don't like it then hurry back to Cali. :peace: Seriously, though, there are people from all over the world living in Colorado and that's cool in a lot of ways. What's not cool is when they start to whine about all of the things they miss about where they came from. Shut up about it, you chose to move to Colorado. I don't care about how great it was where you used to live. Instead of jacking your jaws about it just pack your ****e and move back. That is all.:welcome:

Sounds like you're bitter about Cali. No need to miss or migrate to the Midwest, I can handle the expenses of living here.

Mountain Bronco 12-04-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjolras (Post 3988117)
Why would you want the expense of a place like Denver, Chicago, or Seattle? If you want to live in a ****ty suburb there are lots of better places to do it. Watching the miles of traffic jams this morning on TV drives that point home.

The actual city of Denver, on the other hand, is amazing. Walkable, vibrant, and varied. It's my favorite place on earth and it's why my wife and I choose to make our family home here.

Truth. If you want suburbs, move to Houston, where it is one large suburban orgy at about half the cost and twice the salary.

Denver has some great neighborhoods that have that city neighborhood feel, yet are safe, have great dinning, walkable and your food choices aren't limited to TGI Friday's and Chili's.

Great city to live in if you have to live in an urban area.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 12-04-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHallblows (Post 3988168)

100 degrees with moisture sounds worse. Sweat the second you get out of the shower.

Mogulseeker 12-04-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 3988065)
paging whoever Mighty Smurf is now, whoever Mighty Smurf is now please pick up a white courtesy phone...

Nah, Denver is the place to be.

Rabb 12-04-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3988201)
Nah, Denver is the place to be.

Totally agree, I just thought you'd have some insight to offer.