The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Congrats to Montee Ball (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113187)

bpc 12-01-2013 08:56 PM

Congrats to Montee Ball

Congrats on his 1st career 100 yd rushing game, hopefully his 1st of many. Couldn't have come at a better time. I've been tough on the guy... rightfully so, but glad the coaches gave him another shot and he carried the load. He seemed to bring a different element to the offense when he was running the ball. Him and Knowshon becoming a great 1-2 punch and the running game is starting to gash.

Broncos_OTM 12-01-2013 08:57 PM

Hope we can continue to jell in the run game its gonna be needed in a couple weeks

Action 12-01-2013 08:58 PM

http://www.beastskills.com/wp-conten.../jokerclap.gif

KipCorrington25 12-01-2013 10:31 PM

You can see a glimmer just has to build that confidence.

Guess Who 12-01-2013 10:36 PM

He looks a lot quicker than Moreno. He broke some tackles too.

Kaylore 12-01-2013 11:38 PM

Yeah I really like his style of running. He makes you square up and he kind of snakes his way forward. And always falls forward. I love backs who do that because it means at least two yards even if you meet him.

R8R H8R 12-01-2013 11:49 PM

He was huge today. I think he'll get a game ball. He got a shout-out from Peyton at the presser, and kudos from JDR in the locker room.

He is definitely getting confidence in what he is doing, as he doesn't appear to be thinking as much as earlier in the year. I like his style, it compliments Knowshon well. As long as he holds onto the rock, he will only get better.

Agamemnon 12-01-2013 11:51 PM

I've been liking the way he's running for a few weeks now. It's just the ball security issues that have been keeping him from shining. I really hope the dude can fix that, because he has the potential to be great.

TD4HOF 12-01-2013 11:54 PM

Very unique runner. We were treated to an exhibition of his NCAA record breaking abilities. Love his collection of traits as opposed to being easily labeled. Sorta quick, tough, hard to tackle and good instincts.

whoeey 12-01-2013 11:56 PM

see what happens when you hold onto the freakin ball, Ball?

Agamemnon 12-01-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD4HOF (Post 3986410)
Very unique runner. We were treated to an exhibition of his NCAA record breaking abilities. Love his collection of traits as opposed to being easily labeled. Sorta quick, tough, hard to tackle and good instincts.

I still think Elway hit it on the head when he compared him to TD. That 45 yarder he had looked exactly like him honestly. Dude just needs to put it together.

Armchair Bronco 12-02-2013 12:08 AM

Dude has FINALLY learned how to hold on to da rock!

I was trying to remember who he reminds me of...only guy that came to mind is Willis McGahee.

No shame in that, I guess.

UberBroncoMan 12-02-2013 12:11 AM

Turns out Montee Ball was Ronnie Hillman all along.

http://www.nfl.com/player/monteeball/2539341/profile

R8R H8R 12-02-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan (Post 3986426)
Turns out Montee Ball was Ronnie Hillman all along.

http://www.nfl.com/player/monteeball/2539341/profile

That sly dog! Good thing they activated him today.

Guess Who 12-02-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco (Post 3986423)
Dude has FINALLY learned how to hold on to da rock!

I was trying to remember who he reminds me of...only guy that came to mind is Willis McGahee.

No shame in that, I guess.

Strange because in 4 years at Wisconsin I believe he only fumbled 2 times.

Armchair Bronco 12-02-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess Who (Post 3986447)
Strange because in 4 years at Wisconsin I believe he only fumbled 2 times.

I just watched a college highlight video of Montee Ball on YouTube, and it was pretty clear that the guys trying to tackle him were almost NEVER going for the ball. They were content just to wrap him up any old way possible.

And like Marshawn Lynch today, Montee Ball in college liked to run straight in to defenders. In college he also tended to only use one hand to hold the ball.

But in the NFL, defenders are taught to go after the ball first, and I think this caught him totally off guard. Now he runs with both hands around the ball. This has changed his style of running considerably, but I think he learned today that he can still wrack up lots of yards as a human snow plow...provided he doesn't cough up the ball.

Ol#7 12-02-2013 04:09 AM

And that is why you sit him during the NE game to send a message. It might have bit us in the ass a bit in that game, but it looks like it got through and will serve us well the rest of the year.

Also loving me some KM. We suddenly have a 1-2 punch in the backfield. GD...May need a #27 Jersey that doesnt say Atwater...Also liked how KM was coaching up Ball and encouraging him. Good signs all the way around.

Rabb 12-02-2013 06:13 AM

I really liked what I saw, a great mix of power and quickness. Reminds me of Ed McCaffrey.

The Joker 12-02-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 3986506)
I really liked what I saw, a great mix of power and quickness. Reminds me of Ed McCaffrey.

LOL

Montee looks like he's got the talent to be a tremendous chain mover.

If we can re-sign Moreno this offseason we'll have a great 1-2 punch at RB for years to come. They compliment each other so well.

Kaylore 12-02-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco (Post 3986454)
I just watched a college highlight video of Montee Ball on YouTube, and it was pretty clear that the guys trying to tackle him were almost NEVER going for the ball. They were content just to wrap him up any old way possible.

And like Marshawn Lynch today, Montee Ball in college liked to run straight in to defenders. In college he also tended to only use one hand to hold the ball.

But in the NFL, defenders are taught to go after the ball first, and I think this caught him totally off guard. Now he runs with both hands around the ball. This has changed his style of running considerably, but I think he learned today that he can still wrack up lots of yards as a human snow plow...provided he doesn't cough up the ball.

That's an apt comparison. They guy can grow as a player if he gets the chance. Guys like Lynch and Priest Holmes just needed time to acclimate to the speed and skill of NFL defenders.

crush17 12-02-2013 06:59 AM

9.0 yards per carry.

Kaylore 12-02-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crush17 (Post 3986525)
9.0 yards per carry.

And that was against the greatest defense in the history of space and time!!!!

Old Dude 12-02-2013 11:41 AM

Took him awhile, but this was definitely a step up.

Still a work in progress, I suspect, in the passing game. Like Popps said, a lot is going to depend on this kid's development given Moreno's injury history.

BroncoMan4ever 12-02-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess Who (Post 3986378)
He looks a lot quicker than Moreno. He broke some tackles too.

Another thing i noticed is, he has a way of avoiding taking big hits. He had a really nice run up the gut for something like 12 yards and he went through 4 defenders who all had a chance on him, but he avoided the hits.

I'd love it if Hillman also could step up. Would be really nice to have that 1-2 punch with Moreno and Ball and then bring in that big play threat in Hillman.

SonOfLe-loLang 12-02-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3986831)
Another thing i noticed is, he has a way of avoiding taking big hits. He had a really nice run up the gut for something like 12 yards and he went through 4 defenders who all had a chance on him, but he avoided the hits.

I'd love it if Hillman also could step up. Would be really nice to have that 1-2 punch with Moreno and Ball and then bring in that big play threat in Hillman.

I still think CJ Anderson finds every hole. He might not be where he needs to as a blocker, but as a runner, I think he can be a weapon.