The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Chiefs defensive problems run deep (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113138)

Peoples Champ 11-25-2013 07:11 PM

Chiefs defensive problems run deep

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...blems-run-deep

good read

broncosteven 11-25-2013 07:53 PM

I have said for a couple years now they are one dimensional on D.

Hali and Houston are guys who have to rush the passer 1st to make any sort of impact in the game. Houston has been marginally better at setting the edge now that they are in a 3-4 and he can line up wide enough to push down into the back filed but he cannot get off a block to make a play in the run game when he does get the edge set. Hali is a poor man's Dummerville and despite his bigger frame is weak when run at as well. Neither have proved to persue backside. When a kFc DL did make a play from the back side in the SD game everyone was excited because they are not used to seeing it like we do with our guys, even Knighton is better at running down plays than anyone on kFc's DL.

They said on NFL Insiders that Houston had so much swelling in his elbow that he could not straighten his arm out to do the MRI.

Hali's Ankle was said to be minor, they think he will be game a time decision.

I think at least one of them are active and they use at least one of them on a couple desperation blitz's early trying to keep the crowd in the game. A 3rd straight loss would lose their fairweather fan base.

I just hope we have a RB who can spell KM and keep that even weaker pass rush at the LOS and give Manning time to take apart Cooper and Flowers.

KCStud 11-25-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3981320)
I have said for a couple years now they are one dimensional on D.

Hali and Houston are guys who have to rush the passer 1st to make any sort of impact in the game. Houston has been marginally better at setting the edge now that they are in a 3-4 and he can line up wide enough to push down into the back filed but he cannot get off a block to make a play in the run game when he does get the edge set. Hali is a poor man's Dummerville and despite his bigger frame is weak when run at as well. Neither have proved to persue backside. When a kFc DL did make a play from the back side in the SD game everyone was excited because they are not used to seeing it like we do with our guys, even Knighton is better at running down plays than anyone on kFc's DL.

They said on NFL Insiders that Houston had so much swelling in his elbow that he could not straighten his arm out to do the MRI.

Hali's Ankle was said to be minor, they think he will be game a time decision.

I think at least one of them are active and they use at least one of them on a couple desperation blitz's early trying to keep the crowd in the game. A 3rd straight loss would lose their fairweather fan base.

I just hope we have a RB who can spell KM and keep that even weaker pass rush at the LOS and give Manning time to take apart Cooper and Flowers.

Lol you know nothing about our team. But keep going. It's hilarious watching you try.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 11-25-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCStud (Post 3981332)
Lol you know nothing about our team. But keep going. It's hilarious watching you try.

You know nothing about our team. And yet you log in to our website and lay down stupidity. Feel free to keep going as you've looked hilarious this whole time.

BroncosfanGuy 11-25-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

how many points would the Chargers have scored on the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears?

WakeUpCall 11-25-2013 08:24 PM

I'd say they're right, we have two big-time DEs out, and DeVito too, so yeah, we're hurting big time... If Hali can play, he might cause you some problems, but I'm not sure if he's not 100% that his impact can't be neutralized.

It's going to be a long day for us I'm thinking...

broncosteven 11-25-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakeUpCall (Post 3981340)
I'd say they're right, we have two big-time DEs out, and DeVito too, so yeah, we're hurting big time... If Hali can play, he might cause you some problems, but I'm not sure if he's not 100% that his impact can't be neutralized.

It's going to be a long day for us I'm thinking...

It might help your cause with Hali hobbling out there and Houston out. Your DC will have to send more blitz's earlier and more often rather than sit back and hope a 3 or 4 man rush can get there.

Manning might be able to pick it apart but you guys might get more hits on him and force him into a bad throw or 2. After all your going to need your D to score to stay in this one.

broncobum6162 11-25-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Wow....4800 posts on an opposing teams forum...some people got too much time on their hands and exist for no other reason but to be a pain in the arse.

B-Large 11-26-2013 05:27 AM

The Chiefs whole D is predicated on the pass rush... With that gone, they become just average, which isn't bad.

What's interesting is 38 points on offense.... That's impressive, all things considered.

KCStud 11-26-2013 06:47 AM

Hell I'd rather just put an extra big DB in place of those 2 and play with 6 DB's on the field at all times.

That's what RAC did to Manning and it worked all those years. Belichik did a lot of that the other night as well.

cmhargrove 11-26-2013 06:51 AM

One thing I also noticed from the KC - Chargers game was that when Hali and Houston were out, Poe seemed average again. Not a huge knock, because that kid made a bigger jump this year than I expected, but it does show the kind of "synergy" that happens when 1-2 gamebreakers are in the lineup. We obviously missed Von (and Elvis) as a disruptive force in the passing game the first few weeks.

I expect that we will push Poe around a little more this week than we did last game.

DENVERDUI55 11-26-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

No need to learn. You said they were as good as 2000 Ravens.

B-Large 11-26-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 (Post 3981485)
No need to learn. You said they were as good as 2000 Ravens.

The 2000 Ravens gave up a lot of 40 point games...

mwill07 11-26-2013 07:25 AM

wow, Chiefs have dropped to 16th in the league in terms of yards allowed, just a hair below NFL average.

B-Large 11-26-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwill07 (Post 3981498)
wow, Chiefs have dropped to 16th in the league in terms of yards allowed, just a hair below NFL average.

Yep, average Defense. So much for that Elite talk.

Broncos_OTM 11-26-2013 07:34 AM

Don't feed the trolls..

Broncos_OTM 11-26-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

off the top of your head do you know what Denvers is. Has to be getting better you'd think?

Broncos_OTM 11-26-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhargrove (Post 3981484)
One thing I also noticed from the KC - Chargers game was that when Hali and Houston were out, Poe seemed average again. Not a huge knock, because that kid made a bigger jump this year than I expected, but it does show the kind of "synergy" that happens when 1-2 gamebreakers are in the lineup. We obviously missed Von (and Elvis) as a disruptive force in the passing game the first few weeks.

I expect that we will push Poe around a little more this week than we did last game.

Yeah, Poe had a big rookie year. came out how and is starting to faid.. although still pretty good against the run.

mwill07 11-26-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM (Post 3981505)
off the top of your head do you know what Denvers is. Has to be getting better you'd think?

26th, but trending up. I've been tracking Denvers passing D per/pass metrics here, so you can see where we are with Von in the fold.

Tombstone RJ 11-26-2013 08:42 AM

Denver's defense has been pretty solid against the run but has struggled against the pass. Hopefully that changes rapidly as the post season approaches. Broncos have to start winning the turnover battle instead of losing the TO battle. It's a big reason why the Broncos lost to NE IMHO.

mwill07 11-26-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3981553)
Denver's defense has been pretty solid against the run but has struggled against the pass. Hopefully that changes rapidly as the post season approaches. Broncos have to start winning the turnover battle instead of losing the TO battle. It's a big reason why the Broncos lost to NE IMHO.

actually, it hasn't been that bad overall vs the pass since Von came back. NE killed us obviously, but we looked really good vs Was and SD.

Tombstone RJ 11-26-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwill07 (Post 3981578)
actually, it hasn't been that bad overall vs the pass since Von came back. NE killed us obviously, but we looked really good vs Was and SD.

The Broncos should be able to shut down kc's passing game for sure. The question is, will the Broncos be smart enough to know how to contain Charles?

put a spy on charles.

Peoples Champ 11-26-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Thats because they started playing high powered offenses.

Br0nc0Buster 11-26-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples Champ (Post 3981686)
Thats because they started playing high starting quarterbacks.

cough

WolfpackGuy 11-26-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3981553)

Agreed. For a 9-2 team to be minus in turnovers is ridiculous.

The defense has been put in a lot of bad spots by the turnovers and field position.

The defense played well enough to win in Indianapolis and New England.

The Pats only had 2 what I would call "long" scoring drives.