The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dumervil vs. Phillips (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112586)

LetsGoBroncos 10-17-2013 09:58 AM

Dumervil vs. Phillips
 
Just wanted to say I (along with a lot of other people on here) told you so. We all agreed we would have like Doom to return but that he was overpaid at $8+ million per year. Well what is he making this year compared to Phillips? So far Doom has 5 sacks and 16 total tackles and is a huge liability against the run. Phillips has 5.5 sacks and 15 total tackles and is better against the run than Doom.

So ya, for an eighth of the price we are doin just fine.

DomCasual 10-17-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos (Post 3941795)
Just wanted to say I (along with a lot of other people on here) told you so. We all agreed we would have like Doom to return but that he was overpaid at $8+ million per year. Well what is he making this year compared to Phillips? So far Doom has 5 sacks and 16 total tackles and is a huge liability against the fun. Phillips has 5.5 sacks and 15 total tackles and is better against the run than Doom.

So ya, for an eighth of the price we are doin just fine.

The last thing this team needs is someone who is a huge liability against the fun! That can make a season seem eternal. We want guys who are assets to the fun!

Houshyamama 10-17-2013 10:07 AM

No Fun League

ludo21 10-17-2013 10:08 AM

QB hurries? overall impact on the Defense..... should have paid the man - er faxgate

NFLBRONCO 10-17-2013 10:13 AM

I wanted him back because he was one of my favs. I will admit I wanted to see what he did on another team to answer some questions I had about him. Now I'm glad we didn't waste that much money on him.

Kaylore 10-17-2013 10:16 AM

Elvis Dumervil against the fun:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/f68VXKMZT1Q?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/f68VXKMZT1Q?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Rabb 10-17-2013 10:18 AM

It's exactly what I always said, huge fun liability.

bronco militia 10-17-2013 10:45 AM

Joe Flacco>Peyton Manning

obviously

Ha!

**** YOU DOOM!

Houshyamama 10-17-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3941807)
Elvis Dumervil against the fun:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/f68VXKMZT1Q?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/f68VXKMZT1Q?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/7R6_Chr2vro?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/7R6_Chr2vro?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ZONA 10-17-2013 10:47 AM

I knew Phillips could replace most of what Doom gave us on the pass rush side of things and probably would be better against the run. I've said all along that I thought it was the smart move to not pay him over 5M per year and for what we are paying Phillips, even better. That frees up money to sign other guys are are playing well. Sorry but I don't miss Doom at all. 8M for 12 sacks and average run support - no thanks.

Johnykbr 10-17-2013 10:53 AM

Only reason I miss Doom is because he was just good enough that opposing offenses were scared of him and his name alone, even if it didn't warrant it, would just seem to make opposing QBs making dumb mistakes which he would capitalize on. Otherwise, Phillips is doing just as well and well worth the price. We got a replacement who cares more about the ring than the paycheck and glory.

BroncoBeavis 10-17-2013 11:02 AM

I'd still pay Doom every day of the week. Probably kick in an extra million on Sunday.

This DL stinks to high hell at pass rushing. It's the biggest downside change from last year by far. Not sure how you can watch your team's defense go from #2 overall in 2012 to #29 now and say "I think that big move in the offseason really paid off"

I know Von is a big part and all. But it's more than a bit premature to say we don't miss Doom. I'm relatively sure we do.

Heyneck 10-17-2013 11:04 AM

how many a phillips sacks have been coverage sacks? Doom brought the heat on a consistent basis. Can't say the same about phillips. Should have paid the man. Anyone out there not seeing our inability to rush the passer? Yeah... Von is back now but still...

boltaneer 10-17-2013 11:09 AM

I'm the Phillips hater and I've been paying attention to him when I've watched Bronco games. ;)

Two of his sacks come against a rookie RT in the first game of the season after Oher went out.

One sack was in garbage time against Philly.

He had a coverage sack against Dallas and the second one came when Romo ran out of the pocket right into his arms due to pressure from the other side (Ayers?).

To me, his sacks have not been very impressive. The most impressive one to me was his coverage sack. Not saying he has played bad (for a backup he's living up to expectations I would say) but he kind of did the same thing the past couple of years in San Diego with his sacks either coming in garbage time or inferior opposition.

I haven't been paying attention to Dumervil. It seems like he's doing okay but not anything spectacular.

ZONA 10-17-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyneck (Post 3941827)
how many a phillips sacks have been coverage sacks? Doom brought the heat on a consistent basis. Can't say the same about phillips. Should have paid the man. Anyone out there not seeing our inability to rush the passer? Yeah... Von is back now but still...

Doom has Suggs on the other side (who is a darn good pass rusher himself) and Doom is averaging less then 1 sack a game. And you think with Miller's suspension that he was going to be all world here?

Just face the facts - Phillips is giving us about the same stats with a fraction of the cost.

Hulamau 10-17-2013 11:15 AM

Wait until a healthy Phillips now opposite Von have a game or three to get in sync together... we wont miss Doom at all!

And Knowshon is playing better than Jammal Charles per carry (4.66yd Knowshon vs Charles 4.16yd and per catch 9.45yd Knowshon and Charles 9.09yrd) with both having the same overall total 7 TDs! And that is with Knowshon gettign less opportunities with our elite passing game and RBBC approach with Hillman and Ball taking away the running and receiving game yards from Knowshon.

Not to mention that Knowshon is a much better blocker for Peyton than Charles is for Smith ... you can just ask Smith about that! :)...

Hulamau 10-17-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyneck (Post 3941827)
how many a phillips sacks have been coverage sacks? Doom brought the heat on a consistent basis. Can't say the same about phillips. Should have paid the man. Anyone out there not seeing our inability to rush the passer? Yeah... Von is back now but still...

Doom would not have done any better without Von ( or Suggs) on the other side Heyneck.. He is a good DE but not an elite one on his own any longer and Im very glad we did not overpay for him this year!

Phillips has been an adequate replacement and expect to see his numbers increase with Von drawing more attention. Without Ayers the last two games too the opposing offense put more attention to shutting Phillips down without complete success.

And by next year expect Quanterus to be ready to rumble as well! with Vo,. Phillips, Ayers. lawt half of this year expect Malik to provide plenty of outside pressure , and inside pressure too with Derek Wolfe leading Knighton and Vick and an increasingly more seasoned Sly Williams last half of this year into next year in particular, getting even better push from the middle as well. Unrein too is approaching stub rotational DT.

Im not worried at all about our front 7 going forward.. We just could not sustain enough pressure without Von as the lynch pin and without Woodyard in the middle of the D calling the shots.

Archer81 10-17-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyneck (Post 3941827)
how many a phillips sacks have been coverage sacks? Doom brought the heat on a consistent basis. Can't say the same about phillips. Should have paid the man. Anyone out there not seeing our inability to rush the passer? Yeah... Von is back now but still...


No, he didnt.


:Broncos:

TheReverend 10-17-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomCasual (Post 3941798)
The last thing this team needs is someone who is a huge liability against the fun! That can make a season seem eternal. We want guys who are assets to the fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houshyamama (Post 3941801)
No Fun League

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3941807)
Elvis Dumervil against the fun:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 3941809)
It's exactly what I always said, huge fun liability.

Awesome work, Mane. Ha! Reps to all!

OBF1 10-17-2013 11:24 AM

Well for one, I am glad you told me so. I am still having fun.

DBroncos4life 10-17-2013 11:26 AM

5.5 sacks, 1 FF, a safety, and he caused two INT's. Phillips is earning his money.

Heyneck 10-17-2013 11:28 AM

li
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 3941830)
Doom has Suggs on the other side (who is a darn good pass rusher himself) and Doom is averaging less then 1 sack a game. And you think with Miller's suspension that he was going to be all world here?

Just face the facts - Phillips is giving us about the same stats with a fraction of the cost.

Doom produced even before Von got here... and he could give you the stats. But they don't come in the form of crucial sack fumble strips that Doom used to pull out ever so often. The pressure is also not there. Sorry man.. but Phillps just can't bring the heat like Doom did. Sacks just seem to go his way. Malik brings more heat that Phillips also. Again... it seams like the sacks flow his way, but the heat just isn't there.

Rabb 10-17-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBII (Post 3941826)
I'd still pay Doom every day of the week. Probably kick in an extra million on Sunday.

This DL stinks to high hell at pass rushing. It's the biggest downside change from last year by far. Not sure how you can watch your team's defense go from #2 overall in 2012 to #29 now and say "I think that big move in the offseason really paid off"

I know Von is a big part and all. But it's more than a bit premature to say we don't miss Doom. I'm relatively sure we do.

Without Von and WW, when we have to scheme rather than let guys play at positions best suited for them...it's also premature to say we do.

gunns 10-17-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBII (Post 3941826)
I'd still pay Doom every day of the week. Probably kick in an extra million on Sunday.

This DL stinks to high hell at pass rushing. It's the biggest downside change from last year by far. Not sure how you can watch your team's defense go from #2 overall in 2012 to #29 now and say "I think that big move in the offseason really paid off"

I know Von is a big part and all. But it's more than a bit premature to say we don't miss Doom. I'm relatively sure we do.

It's not premature at all. I said it before the season started and I don't regret it. It would have been nice to have him stay, with an extreme cut in pay, just so we didn't have to deal with the position but I don't believe anything would have been any different if he had. That contract was ridiculous.

BroncoBeavis 10-17-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 3941844)
Without Von and WW, when we have to scheme rather than let guys play at positions best suited for them...it's also premature to say we do.

Maybe. But that might be why I'm not making threads about it. :)

And WW's been there most of the time. But the DL still looked mostly like **** on passing downs.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.