The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Don't Sleep on the Jags (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112480)

OldschoolFreak 10-09-2013 09:07 AM

Don't Sleep on the Jags

Ok, maybe an overdramatic title but...

Obviously the offense should roll and destroy this team. Still, I think this game is more important than people think. Not because of the potential outcome (which it would really be a stretch to say is in any serious doubt) but because of what happened against the Cowboys.

This team averages 251 yards and 10.2 points per game and regardless of what our O racks up, I'm really hoping we can keep them at or below those totals.

It's easy to say the Cowboys game was an anomaly: career game for Romo, five D-starters out, etc. but the truth is we've given up a crap-ton of yards and points and at some point we've got to stiffen up or this becomes a habit.

Letting Jacksonville hang with us or light up the scoreboard in any way would be a bad sign of things to come because it really starts to reinforce the notion that this is a soft D (which I think is not the case, despite the numbers). Not only would the media and other teams pounce on the sign of weakness, I'd also have to think our guys would start to believe it at some point too.

Come on D, show up on Sunday, keep the Jags to 10 points or less.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 10-09-2013 09:10 AM

If the jags score into the 30s(by the offense) on the road no doubt a magnifying glass would be put on this defense by everyone, not just the media.

Smiling Assassin27 10-09-2013 09:10 AM

Henne's had his share of big passing days. He's no Romo but Shorts and Blackmon ain't exactly scrubs. I think we make sure the running game is stopped, make 'em one dimensional, and get after Henne hard. Only problem is that pass rush isn't what it could be right now and injuries dot the defense. We just might give up some big plays on Sunday, but it should be, at worst, a boat race where we exchange td's for their fg's.

42-21

Kaylore 10-09-2013 09:11 AM

Henne gives them the best chance to win...which is 1%.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 10-09-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 3935526)
Henne's had his share of big passing days. He's no Romo but Shorts and Blackmon ain't exactly scrubs. I think we make sure the running game is stopped, make 'em one dimensional, and get after Henne hard. Only problem is that pass rush isn't what it could be right now and injuries dot the defense. We just might give up some big plays on Sunday, but it should be, at worst, a boat race where we exchange td's for their fg's.

42-21

Not to throw a stone at you, but them getting field goals is hard to end up at 21?

Rabb 10-09-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 3935528)
Not to throw a stone at you, but them getting field goals is hard to end up at 21?

Ummmm....

Smiling Assassin27 10-09-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 3935528)

7 fg's?

OldschoolFreak 10-09-2013 09:16 AM

7 X 3!

Drunken.Broncoholic2 10-09-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 3935532)
7 fg's?

Has anyone in history hit 7 field goals in a game?

Hence why I said its hard?

OldschoolFreak 10-09-2013 09:16 AM

The other thing is that you've got to think the Jags will be hungry. How much must it suck in that locker room every week hearing you're the worst team ever?

Rabb 10-09-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 (Post 3935536)
Has anyone in history hit 7 field goals in a game?

Hence why I said its hard?

Not to be an ass, but it looked to me like you were asking how they would get to 21 with just field goals.

B-Large 10-09-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3935527)
Henne gives them the best chance to win...which is 1%.

So you're telling me there's a chance...

Rabb 10-09-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldschoolFreak (Post 3935537)
The other thing is that you've got to think the Jags will be hungry. How much must it suck in that locker room every week hearing you're the worst team ever?

They can feast on their own tears and misery.

SonOfLe-loLang 10-09-2013 09:19 AM

Why should the Broncos give a **** what the media thinks of them? It's not college, you don't have to win with style points

OldschoolFreak 10-09-2013 09:20 AM

FO has this year's Jags with the worst DVOA of any team in history through 5 games. Second worst defense.

Pick Six 10-09-2013 09:21 AM

If the Jags hit 7 FGs, that would mean that they are constantly invading our side of the field. That would still be a big defensive problem...

Drunken.Broncoholic2 10-09-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 3935538)
Not to be an ass, but it looked to me like you were asking how they would get to 21 with just field goals.

Wording. Had I said couldn't be done, or not mathematically possible, but I said hard. And 7 field goals is extremely hard. Pretty sure it's never been done before? Just thought 21 was hard to achieve field goal wise, was thinking more along the lines of 13 21 would mean they aren't punting much if at all. Don't see that happening.

Smiling Assassin27 10-09-2013 09:21 AM

td+pat, td+2pt conv. + 2 fg's?

not hard at all. especially in garbage time. plus, I didn't say they'd get no TD's, as I recall. :)

OldschoolFreak 10-09-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3935541)
Why should the Broncos give a **** what the media thinks of them? It's not college, you don't have to win with style points

I'm not saying they should care. I'm saying once things start to get repeated enough, they can be nudged into reality a bit. Players will start to second guess themselves. This will put confidence into question onto the field which will limit aggressiveness and cause mistakes.

Look, don't get me wrong, I think this defense is solid. I'm just saying, they need to use this week to get some good film to build confidence, shut the critics, and scare the coming opponents.

OldschoolFreak 10-09-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushaholic (Post 3935544)
If the Jags hit 7 FGs, that would mean that they are constantly invading our side of the field. That would still be a big defensive problem...

True dat

Guess Who 10-09-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldschoolFreak (Post 3935522)
Ok, maybe an overdramatic title but...

Obviously the offense should roll and destroy this team. Still, I think this game is more important than people think. Not because of the potential outcome (which it would really be a stretch to say is in any serious doubt) but because of what happened against the Cowboys.

This team averages 251 yards and 10.2 points per game and regardless of what our O racks up, I'm really hoping we can keep them at or below those totals.

It's easy to say the Cowboys game was an anomaly: career game for Romo, five D-starters out, etc. but the truth is we've given up a crap-ton of yards and points and at some point we've got to stiffen up or this becomes a habit.

Letting Jacksonville hang with us or light up the scoreboard in any way would be a bad sign of things to come because it really starts to reinforce the notion that this is a soft D (which I think is not the case, despite the numbers). Not only would the media and other teams pounce on the sign of weakness, I'd also have to think our guys would start to believe it at some point too.

Come on D, show up on Sunday, keep the Jags to 10 points or less.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Drunken.Broncoholic2 10-09-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 3935546)
td+pat, td+2pt conv. + 2 fg's?

not hard at all. especially in garbage time. plus, I didn't say they'd get no TD's, as I recall. :)

Ya I didnt think of it that way. That's a little easier to achieve.

Pick Six 10-09-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldschoolFreak (Post 3935547)
I'm not saying they should care. I'm saying once things start to get repeated enough, they can be nudged into reality a bit. Players will start to second guess themselves. This will put confidence into question onto the field which will limit aggressiveness and cause mistakes.

Look, don't get me wrong, I think this defense is solid. I'm just saying, they need to use this week to get some good film to build confidence, shut the critics, and scare the coming opponents.

Yes. In other words, perception becomes reality...

Smiling Assassin27 10-09-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess Who (Post 3935549)
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

why even respond, man? your answer was far suckier than the post you seem to be calling sucky.

Guess Who 10-09-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 3935552)
why even respond, man? your answer was far suckier than the post you seem to be calling sucky.

I fell asleep on the post. I am practicing for the Jags game. I don't think it matters if we as fans fall asleep on the jags, not one bit. I don't think we in this forum have ever influenced a game.