The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Where are they now: Ashley Lelie (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112148)

BowlenBall 09-18-2013 03:53 AM

Where are they now: Ashley Lelie

In case you were wondering whatever happened to Miss Lilly:

Ashley Lelie was a 29-year-old former NFL player. He had banked millions of dollars. He was living in the tropical paradise of Honolulu. He could have kicked his legs up and relaxed the rest of his life.

“I actually tried that at first,” Lelie joked Tuesday afternoon before the Nevada Wolf Pack’s practice.

http://blogs.rgj.com/chrismurray/201...d-he-loves-it/

Meck77 09-18-2013 03:58 AM

“In my experience, great players don’t make great coaches,” Polian said.

Well maybe he's got a shot about being a great coach.

09-18-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meck77 (Post 3918478)
“In my experience, great players don’t make great coaches,” Polian said.

Well maybe he's got a shot about being a great coach.

Funny how often that article refers to him as a first round pick and not so much about what he did in the NFL!

That said, prior to the holdout/trade, he was starting to come into his own a bit. Really fizzled out after that. Havent thought about Lelie in years.

i4jelway7 09-18-2013 04:23 AM

ehh.. no love for Lelie.. met him a couple times .. he wasn't nice

extralife 09-18-2013 04:31 AM

he got a worse rap here than he deserved, really. he was one dimensional as hell, but he was pretty good at that dimension. on the right team he could have played for a lot longer than he did.

Ray Finkle 09-18-2013 04:45 AM

the black Eric Decker.....you're more shocked when he catches the ball.

BlaK-Argentina 09-18-2013 04:55 AM

Some very nice memories of 2005...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJjY1mLj2lc

The Joker 09-18-2013 04:57 AM

We.

Could.

Have.

Had.

ED.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vegas_Bronco 09-18-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schism (Post 3918487)
We.

Could.

Have.

Had.

ED.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deltha Oneal had just been selected to the pro bowl and we had a solid starter in Tori James. We had just drafted Willie Middlebust in the first round the year before...so you go with 3 db's in the first round in 3 years?

Terrell Davis could have been a Patriot, Dolphin or Bear. My cousin was selected by Oakland 13 spots ahead of #30 and never made an active roster.

09-18-2013 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco (Post 3918491)
Deltha Oneal had just been selected to the pro bowl and we had a solid starter in Tori James. We had just drafted Willie Middlebust in the first round the year before...so you go with 3 db's in the first round in 3 years?

Terrell Davis could have been a Patriot, Dolphin or Bear. My cousin was selected by Oakland 13 spots ahead of #30 and never made an active roster.

Thought Middlebrooks was a second rounder? I actually just checked because I couldnt believe any team would take him in the first, but, there you go, first round bust.

In that context I guess it doesn't make sense to take Reed with Middlebust being an unknown...but, damn.

I always thought Tori James was going to be the next Louis Wright for us...

Beantown Bronco 09-18-2013 06:16 AM

I'll admit it. I bought a Lelie jersey when I was out there in 2003 for the Oakland Monday Night game. Went to the stadium the day before to catch the players going in and coming out of the tunnel for the walk-through and he signed it for me and talked for a bit. Seemed like a cool guy to me, along with Plummer and a few others.

He had a great game that next night. I was disappointed to see the way things turned out for him. Had he stuck around for Cutler, things might have been different for him.

ColoradoDarin 09-18-2013 06:51 AM

Chuck it deep to Lelie!

Loved the read, rep for the article. Glad he's enjoying his post-NFL life.

ludo21 09-18-2013 06:53 AM

I enjoyed Lelie while he was here. I still remember his big game against the Eagles in 05 i think it was...

A deep threat....thats it, but a fun one nonetheless

Kaylore 09-18-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extralife (Post 3918482)
he got a worse rap here than he deserved, really. he was one dimensional as hell, but he was pretty good at that dimension. on the right team he could have played for a lot longer than he did.

That was mostly Shanahan's coaching savvy. He has worthless in yards after the catch and pretty soft. Shanahan made him look like a really good number 2. He would never have the production he had when he was here.

He took my buddy's coworker out once and she told me he brought her to his house and replayed some diving catch from a preseason game for her and was way more into it than she was. lol. Who does that? Come over and watch me play football on TV, baby.

55CrushEm 09-18-2013 07:13 AM

Lelie got all butthurt when we made the draft day trade for Javon Walker.

Think about that 2006 draft again.....

Cutler
Javon Walker (via trade)
Dumervil
Marshall
Kuper

all Pro Bowlers....

BroncoBeavis 09-18-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3918530)
That was mostly Shanahan's coaching savvy. He has worthless in yards after the catch and pretty soft. Shanahan made him look like a really good number 2. He would never have the production he had when he was here.

He took my buddy's coworker out once and she told me he brought her to his house and replayed some diving catch from a preseason game for her and was way more into it than she was. lol. Who does that? Come over and watch me play football on TV, baby.

Don't understand. That's exactly what I like to pretend he does in my NFL 2k5 crib.

Meck77 09-18-2013 08:48 AM

Let's cut to chase people. His name was Ashley! Do you have memories of him making the big catches in the middle of the field?

Just seeing some of these names Shanny picked up makes me so greatful where our organization is today. You can just tell that the players on the field are hungry and leaving it all on the field.

Mile High Salute to Mr. Bowlen for firing his old pal. That took Guts! *wink* even if he had a drink before he did it!

El Guapo 09-18-2013 09:23 AM

Always nice to see what former Broncos are up to after the fact. Good for him, hopefully he continues to grow as a coach.

TheChamp24 09-18-2013 09:53 AM

If Lelie wasn't an idiot he would've been awesome with us because we finally had a QB who could chuck it deep to him in Cutler. But no, he thought he was a #1 when he wasn't even close to that.

broncocalijohn 09-18-2013 11:53 AM

"Lelie primarily works with the Wolf Pack wide receivers in addition to recruiting (Polian says Lelie has “an exceptional eye for talent”). Lelie also picks up pizza, makes copies and does a host of remedial tasks, which is typical for a GA. The No. 19 pick in the 2002 draft is back at the bottom of the totem pole."

We just found the Black Xanders!

Lelie could have had commercials and be a star in Denver but he thought he was better then all others and couldn't see why we would want Walker. He disappeared while with the 49ers. Horrible choice but opened up the door for guys like Marshall to come to the team. If he heard it from his agent, he should have fired him for life.

Lestat 09-18-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

“In my experience, great players don’t make great coaches,” Polian said. “Playing comes naturally to them, but not everybody can just step out there and go do it like an NFL first-round draft pick. It takes work. Former players, they said they want to coach, but they really don’t understand what it entails.”
Lelie was never great but what Polian said is very true.
This is exactly why so many think Peyton would be terrible as a coach but likely really good as a GM.

Goobzilla 09-18-2013 04:17 PM

I thought he would be in the coconut oil business by now.

NUB 09-18-2013 04:31 PM

I bet he can teach a mean fly route.

ColoradoDarin 09-18-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3918953)
Lelie was never great but what Polian said is very true.
This is exactly why so many think Peyton would be terrible as a coach but likely really good as a GM.

I think Peyton is going to be an (the) exception

Lestat 09-18-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin (Post 3919012)
I think Peyton is going to be an (the) exception

I don't, he's a perfectionist and expects the absolute best out of everyone.
Dungy said it best on SNF.