The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   OT: Angel Priest appears at Missouri car crash scene (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111667)

55CrushEm 08-08-2013 08:00 AM

OT: Angel Priest appears at Missouri car crash scene

Spooky.....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...souri/2630227/

'Angel' priest visits Missouri accident scene

Melanie Eversley, USA TODAY 11:04 a.m. EDT August 8, 2013

A mystery priest who suddenly appeared at a Mo. accident scene is being called an angel.

<ASIDE class="comp story-highlights first" style="MIN-HEIGHT: 60px">Story Highlights
  • Victim's vital signs were beginning to fail when priest showed up
  • Mystery man does not appear in any of the photos from the scene
  • Emergency workers would like to thank the mystery priest who prayed over them
</ASIDE>

SHARE 7214 CONNECT 248 TWEET 126 COMMENTEMAILMORE
Emergency workers and community members in eastern Missouri are not sure what to make of a mystery priest who showed up at a critical accident scene Sunday morning and whose prayer seemed to change life-threatening events for the positive.
Even odder, the black-garbed priest does not appear in any of the nearly 70 photos of the scene of the accident in which a 19-year-old girl almost died. No one knows the priest and he vanished without a word, said Raymond Reed, fire chief of New London, Mo.
"I think it's a miracle," Reed said. "I would say whether it was an angel that was sent to us in the form of a priest or a priest that became our angel, I don't know. Either way, I'm good with it."
Carla Churchill Lentz, mother of the teen who was critically injured, said emergency workers have told her there is no way her daughter should have lived inside such a mangled car. Of the priest, she said, "I do believe he certainly could have been an angel dressed in priest's attire because the Bible tells us there are angels among us."
The scene unfolded Sunday morning. Katie Lentz, a sophomore at Tulane University, was driving from her parents' home in Quincy, Ill., to Jefferson City, Mo., where she has a summer internship and planned to attend church with friends. The Mercedes she was driving collided with another vehicle on a highway near Center, Mo. The accident crushed Lentz's vehicle into a ball of sheet metal that lay on the driver's side, Reed said.

Reed's team and emergency workers from several other jurisdictions tried for at least 45 minutes to remove the twisted metal from around Lentz. Various pieces of equipment broke and the team was running out of choices. A helicopter waited to carry Lentz to the nearest trauma center. Though Lentz appeared calm, talking about her church and her studies toward a dentistry degree, her vital signs were beginning to fail, Reed said.
"I was pulled off to the side by one of the members of the" helicopter evacuation team, Reed said. "He expressed to me that we were out of time. Her condition looked grim for her coming out of that vehicle alive. She was facing major problems."
At that point, Reed's team agreed to take the life-threatening chance of sitting the vehicle upright so that Lentz could be removed from it. This is dangerous because a sudden change in pressure to the body can be critical, he said.
That's when Lentz asked if someone would pray with her and a voice said, "I will."
The silver-haired priest in his 50s or 60s in black pants, black shirt and black collar with visible white insert stepped forward from nowhere. It struck Reed as odd because the street was blocked off 2 miles from the scene and no one from the nearby communities recognized him
"We're all local people from four different towns," Reed said. "We've only got one Catholic church out of three towns and it wasn't their priest."
Reed and the other emergency workers were on their knees. The priest of about medium build, maybe 6-feet-tall, stood above them.
"This priest approached Katie and began to pray openly with her," Reed said. "He had a bottle of anointing oil with him and he used that."
Another firefighter who had been watching said it appeared as if the priest also sprinkled Reed and two other emergency workers nearby with oil.
Everything happened quickly after that. Twenty emergency workers pulled together and sat the car upright, Churchill Lentz said. Katie Lentz's vital signs improved and a rescue team from a neighboring community suddenly appeared with fresh equipment and tools. Lentz was removed and rushed to the hospital.
With Lentz gone, the rescue team prepared to clean up, Reed said.
"We all go back to thank this priest and he's gone," he said.
Initially, they assumed he had to get to his home church to lead Sunday services. But then they looked at their photos of the scene.
"I have 69 photographs that were taken from minutes after that accident happened bystanders, the extrication, our final cleanup and he's not in them," Reed said. "All we want to do is thank him."
Meantime, the Missouri State Highway Patrol reports a 26-year-old male was arrested Sunday on charges of DWI, failure to drive on the right half of the roadway and second-degree felony assault. He was treated and released from a local hospital, according to the report.
The Facebook page of Lentz's mother, Carla Church Lentz, indicates Lentz is on the mend despite suffering two broken femurs, a broken tibia and fibia, broken left wrist, nine broken ribs, a lacerated liver, ruptured spleen and bruised lung.
Churchill Lentz said her daughter has undergone two surgeries at Blessing Hospital in Quincy, Ill., and will undergo two more, but has been upgraded from critical to serious and is doing well.
"She sustained a lot of injuries, however, her face is beautiful, her teeth are perfect, she is sunshine, and everyone who's contacted us those emergency personnel, the Missouri State Patrol, the deputies, the firemen they are all saying the same thing, she never cried, she never screamed, she would just say, 'pray for me and pray out loud.' "

LetsGoBroncos 08-08-2013 08:49 AM

Wow!

broncswin 08-08-2013 09:55 AM

That was well worth sharing...thank you 55!!

The power of prayer is amazing!!

LetsGoBroncos 08-08-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncswin (Post 3889293)
That was well worth sharing...thank you 55!!

The power of prayer is amazing!!

Yep!

oubronco 08-08-2013 05:27 PM

Angels are always watching and walking among us

maher_tyler 08-09-2013 05:42 AM

Great story!

Vegas_Bronco 08-09-2013 06:43 AM

Mom had some incredible faith...she asked for help and received it. Doubt is fear and prevents us all from doing greater things in life. Amazing story.

Rohirrim 08-09-2013 06:44 AM

I'll bet all these people join the Catholic Church now, after all, that is the only true and valid church of Christ.

TheElusiveKyleOrton 08-09-2013 06:52 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3_PawcvFrMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

orangeatheist 08-13-2013 06:35 AM

Mystery priest from serious Missouri accident revealed

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/13/us/mis...est/index.html

Quote:

Katie Lentz finally knows the identity of the Catholic priest who came to her side during a life-threatening accident on a two-lane Missouri highway this month.

Turns out, it was a Father Dowling mystery. The Rev. Patrick Dowling, that is.

Dowling, a priest since 1982, revealed in a comment on a story posted on the National Catholic Register that he was the man who prayed over Lentz, 19, while emergency workers treated her for injuries after an August 4 accident.

Dowling wrote in the comment, which has since been deleted: "I absolved and anointed Katie, and, at her request, prayed that her leg would not hurt. Then I stepped aside to where some rescue personnel and the pilot were waiting, and prayed the rosary silently."

Dowling's presence had been a mystery because officials at the scene said it seemed as if he appeared from nowhere, couldn't be found in any pictures taken at the scene and left without anyone seeing where he went. Rescuers said the mysterious priest told them to be calm and their tools would now work.

The priest said there really wasn't any mystery to it, and he told a deputy before he left who he was. He took no credit for saving Lentz's life. He credited that to the calm of two highway patrol officers and a rescue team that worked "harmoniously."
"Angel" priest indeed.

08-13-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeatheist (Post 3892017)
Mystery priest from serious Missouri accident revealed

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/13/us/mis...est/index.html

"Angel" priest indeed.

So because now they know who the guy is what he did is somehow less amazing?

DenverBroncosJM 08-13-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnykbr (Post 3892033)
So because now they know who the guy is what he did is somehow less amazing?

I really tried to stay out of this thread..

No it's not less but, now that it's an actual person that can appear in a photo if someone actually tried to take a picture of him, it loses the mysterious man angle.

I don't want to turn this in to a debate but when things like this happen people clamor "god is great, there are angels on earth" then when the truth comes out that's its just a priest from down the street it's "god is still great he put that prist there".

Man gets cancer goes to the hospital gets treatment, it's a miracle and prayer, god saved him...two weeks later gets hit by a bus and dies, oh it was his time and god called him home. Sounds fishy right?

orangeatheist 08-13-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM (Post 3892038)

No it's not less but, now that it's an actual person that can appear in a photo if someone actually tried to take a picture of him, it loses the mysterious man angle.

I don't want to turn this in to a debate but when things like this happen people clamor "god is great, there are angels on earth" then when the truth comes out that's its just a priest from down the street it's "god is still great he put that prist there".

Man gets cancer goes to the hospital gets treatment, it's a miracle and prayer, god saved him...two weeks later gets hit by a bus and dies, oh it was his time and god called him home. Sounds fishy right?

I, too, steered clear of the thread when it was first posted. Just a bit too...much...for me. However, when I was at the breakfast table this morning, reading the news on my phone, I stumbled on this headline and I couldn't help but think of all the gullibility in this thread. It was a "mysterious" man! He came as an answer to prayer! He was an angel! When all it turned out to be was a man --who just happened to be a priest--who was near the accident and came over to "help." In the end, even the priest admits "there really wasn't any mystery to it...[h]e took no credit for saving Lentz's life [and instead] credited that to the calm of two highway patrol officers and a rescue team."

But you can't reason with some people. They believe God exists and answers prayer. If Lentz prayed and a priest appeared, "it's a miracle!" If Lentz prayed, no one appeared, and died instead, "God's answer was 'No; come home.'"

Just sayin'...

bronco militia 08-13-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM (Post 3892038)

http://datxvsvmsae0p.cloudfront.net/...o-adhesive.jpg

08-13-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeatheist (Post 3892054)
I, too, steered clear of the thread when it was first posted. Just a bit too...much...for me. However, when I was at the breakfast table this morning, reading the news on my phone, I stumbled on this headline and I couldn't help but think of all the gullibility in this thread. It was a "mysterious" man! He came as an answer to prayer! He was an angel! When all it turned out to be was a man --who just happened to be a priest--who was near the accident and came over to "help." In the end, even the priest admits "there really wasn't any mystery to it...[h]e took no credit for saving Lentz's life [and instead] credited that to the calm of two highway patrol officers and a rescue team."

But you can't reason with some people. They believe God exists and answers prayer. If Lentz prayed and a priest appeared, "it's a miracle!" If Lentz prayed, no one appeared, and died instead, "God's answer was 'No; come home.'"

Just sayin'...

The Priest came to see how he could help. The Atheist sat at the roadblock cursing why he had to be late for work just because some speck of sand in the grand big-bangin' scheme of things got head-on'd. :)

Kaylore 08-13-2013 08:11 AM

I'm someone who believes God works through others. So that this Priest was identified as a person does not take away the calming presence and comfort he gave to those that were injured. An atheist could have been just as kind and I would have felt the same way about why that person was there at that moment. It's still a story about people doing what God needed at a time of great need.

08-13-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3892067)
I'm someone who believes God works through others. So that this Priest was identified as a person does not take away the calming presence and comfort he gave to those that were injured. An atheist could have been just as kind and I would have felt the same way about why that person was there at that moment. It's still a story about people doing what God needed at a time of great need.

Many would even say that God works through OrangeAtheist. Whether he likes it or not. :)

Kaylore 08-13-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3892072)
Many would even say that God works through OrangeAtheist. Whether he likes it or not. :)

I actually believe that. I like telling atheists God is using them and there is nothing they can do about it. ;D

orangeatheist 08-13-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3892076)
I actually believe that. I like telling atheists God is using them and there is nothing they can do about it. ;D

See what I mean? Any politician on the planet would love the Teflon believers spray on their god. :wave:

08-13-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeatheist (Post 3892078)
See what I mean? Any politician on the planet would love the Teflon believers spray on their god. :wave:

Nothing's any more fantasmical than "Big Bang from nothing and because of nothing and now Here We Are"

Kaylore 08-13-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeatheist (Post 3892078)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QrwO8b9iq34" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris 08-13-2013 09:10 AM

It's 'Angel' in quotation marks

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/...riss+Angel.jpg

On a more serious note I'm happy you guys have this god and it makes you happy. Good for you, but don't rain on my belief that Bret the Hitman Hart is the only true saviour.

DenverBroncosJM 08-13-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3892067)

Doesn't that imply that there are no good people in the world, only people god makes do good things?

I do get it, it would be wonderful to wake up one day and say "god you got this right" and believe that everything good that happens is because of a benevolent god and everything bad that happens is because its gods will and I shouldnt question his "plan", thats a really great way to exist when everything can be put off on a "higher power". I am just not wired that way. I don't want to spend my life dreaming and wishing of a better afterlife, I think Ill just make this one as great as it can be instead of hoping the next one is better.

Broncomutt 08-13-2013 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Three years ago, while on a business trip to Palestine, I'm walking through Jerusalem with a co-worker one weekend. She's taking pictures and when we look at them back in the hotel we see these fuzzy blue orbs hovering in almost all the pictures. Jackie was convinced she had photographed "restless spirits" and no rational argument by me would convince her it was just dust on her camera lens.

Finally she indulged me and allowed me to clean the camera. The "spirits" disappeared from all subsequent photos. When I asked her if she thought it was because I'd cleaned the lens or if she thought I was actually an exorcist, she got very angry. If somebody wants badly enough to believe, logic can't reach them.

I do believe in the power of prayer though. I also believe in the power of laughter, hypnosis and morphine. Whatever gets a person through, I say more power to you.

RIP Galileo, Copernicus and others foolish enough to question Faith.

DenverBroncosJM 08-13-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 3892093)
It's 'Angel' in quotation marks

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/...riss+Angel.jpg

On a more serious note I'm happy you guys have this god and it makes you happy. Good for you, but don't rain on my belief that Bret the Hitman Hart is the only true saviour.

See I am more of a Dusty Rhodes the American Dream kinda guy