The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Nate Jackson's training camp and Mangini (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111656)

Xenos 08-07-2013 10:51 AM

Nate Jackson's training camp and Mangini

I'm always fascinated by the behind the scene stuff from players. This is an excerpt from his memoir on his time in training camp with Mangini and his time with Shanahan.

http://m.clevescene.com/cleveland/ma...nt?oid=3625467

Quote:

Every team has its different routines. Often the most difficult part of being on a new team is getting adjusted to the way they do things. The team takes on the personality of its head coach, and every coach is different. In this case, it is Eric Mangini. I had heard a good deal about Coach Mangini from a few of my teammates in Denver. We would sit around the table in the cafeteria and talk shop, and several times I heard tales of Mangini's evil. New York, while he was coaching the Jets, was hell. No, not hell. Worse. Three-and- a- half- hour practices. Busted bodies. Jangled nerves. Cussing. Yelling. Tension. Belittling. Football, the game, was nearly unrecognizable under Mangini's demented eye. Hell was no match for it.

But surely the stories were overblown. Their color was more vibrant because of the contrast. They were being told in the peaceful valley of Shanahan: the heaven to Mangini's hell. Mike Shanahan knew how to run a team. That meant he knew how to treat the men on it. Being a head football coach is not about being a strategic genius.

baja 08-07-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenos (Post 3888893)
I'm always fascinated by the behind the scene stuff from players. This is an excerpt from his memoir on his time in training camp with Mangini and his time with Shanahan.

http://m.clevescene.com/cleveland/ma...nt?oid=3625467

Shanny's summer camp atmosphere was enjoyed by the players but there were sure an awful lot of injuries on his teams.

Xenos 08-07-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3888902)
Shanny's summer camp atmosphere was enjoyed by the players but there were sure an awful lot of injuries on his teams.

It always seem that way with respective teams. People are always getting injured and you're always the unlucky ones. Look at this offseason for example. I don't remember so many ACL injuries happening before. But maybe that's just me.

bronco militia 08-07-2013 11:24 AM

nasty nate probably pulled a hammy again writing about training camp

baja 08-07-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenos (Post 3888906)
It always seem that way with respective teams. People are always getting injured and you're always the unlucky ones. Look at this offseason for example. I don't remember so many ACL injuries happening before. But maybe that's just me.

I wish there were numbers on this. Shanny's teams always seemed to have an inordinate number of hammies and other stretching related injuries. Now with the Broncos new training program when was the last time you heard of someone missing time for a hammy?

bronco militia 08-07-2013 11:51 AM

shanny won two superbowls with all those hamstring injuries... ZZZ...

baja 08-07-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronco militia (Post 3888925)
shanny won two superbowls with all those hamstring injuries... ZZZ...

Why is it so hard for some of you guys to discuss Shanny's warts.

I think he may be the greatest OC / gameday coach ever but he had his flaws and his antiquated training program was one of them. He didn't even believe is stretching for Christ's sake.

bronco militia 08-07-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3888926)
Why is it so hard for some of you guys to discuss Shanny's warts.

I think he may be the greatest OC / gameday coach ever but he had his flaws and his antiquated training program was one of them. He didn't even believe is stretching for Christ's sake.

lmfao! so shanny is the reason for injuries. who knew. When I look at shanny, the glass is always half full. There too many clowns like yourself that love to bash him every chance you get.

24champ 08-07-2013 12:13 PM

I knew a lot of HS coaches that had Mangina's mentality. Those guys are the worst coaches to play for, takes the fun right out of the sport.

TheReverend 08-07-2013 12:17 PM

Shanahan is a god among mortals.

bronco militia 08-07-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3888941)
Shanahan is a god among mortals.

except on draft day

Bigdawg26 08-07-2013 12:21 PM

If Mangini's camp was hell just imagine how Mcdummy's camp was like to players with the little Napoleon running around!

ColoradoDarin 08-07-2013 12:24 PM

Fun read, I too love these inside stories.

baja 08-07-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronco militia (Post 3888931)
lmfao! so shanny is the reason for injuries. who knew. When I look at shanny, the glass is always half full. There too many clowns like yourself that love to bash him every chance you get.

No I don't "love to bash Shanny". It's just that I like dealing in reality and the reality in this case is Shanny supported an antiquated, flawed training program. Since Tuten was sent packing injuries have decreased and the severity of injuries have diminished.

Shanny tried to wear too many hats, does this make him a bad coach, no but it makes him a bad administrator.

broncocalijohn 08-07-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3888920)
I wish there were numbers on this. Shanny's teams always seemed to have an inordinate number of hammies and other stretching related injuries. Now with the Broncos new training program when was the last time you heard of someone missing time for a hammy?

The Greek effect.

The Joker 08-07-2013 01:12 PM

That was cool, I like his writing style.

Thanks for posting. :)

24champ 08-07-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 (Post 3888945)
If Mangini's camp was hell just imagine how Mcdummy's camp was like to players with the little Napoleon running around!

McDaniels ran his camp completely different. He allowed the players to play music during stretching, warm ups. McD also started the tradition of having the players sign autographs after practice.

The only issue with Mcd was that he stretched himself thin by being way too hands on with drills and micromanaging the team. He should have had more trust in his coaches to coach, allowing McD to worry about the bigger issues.

HILife 08-07-2013 02:49 PM

I think we can all safely say that Shanahan was better then his replacement.

Tombstone RJ 08-07-2013 02:52 PM

tanahan basically let all the guys sit around and soak up the mile high sunshine... or something.

Dr. Broncenstein 08-07-2013 03:01 PM

That was thoroughly entertaining.

Dr. Broncenstein 08-07-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24champ (Post 3889034)
McDaniels ran his camp completely different. He allowed the players to play music during stretching, warm ups. McD also started the tradition of having the players sign autographs after practice.

The only issue with Mcd was that he stretched himself thin by being way too hands on with drills and micromanaging the team. He should have had more trust in his coaches to coach, allowing McD to worry about the bigger issues.

Every issue is a bigger issue to McD.

/ I'll be here all week and try the veal.

pricejj 08-07-2013 05:58 PM

It's worse than hell to be coached by any of Bellicheat's coaching tree?

Who knew?

SoCalBronco 08-07-2013 06:20 PM

I really enjoyed reading that. Shanny was a wonderful boss who cared about morale and knew that a worker who isn't depressed broken and constantly terrified is more likely to be productive.

I'm shocked.

/not

Dr. Broncenstein 08-07-2013 06:29 PM

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Tombstone RJ 08-07-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco (Post 3889106)
I really enjoyed reading that. Shanny was a wonderful boss who cared about morale and knew that a worker who isn't depressed broken and constantly terrified is more likely to be productive.

I'm shocked.

/not

lulz