The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Are food replicators in our not-so-distant future? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111651)

Mogulseeker 08-07-2013 12:17 AM

Are food replicators in our not-so-distant future?
 
Eff it, we got two more days 'til preseason.

Scientists have grown beef in a lab. IT was a $300,000 burger, but costs will surely go down dramatically in the next decade or so.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...bl/growyourown

Wes Mantooth 08-07-2013 12:35 AM

I saw this too. Thought it was pretty cool. I am curious what kind of energy would go into producing this on a large scale (is it cheaper / more efficient than raising cattle?)

Archer81 08-07-2013 12:43 AM

Slowly but surely everything in Star Trek is coming true.


:Broncos:

Mogulseeker 08-07-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 (Post 3888745)
Slowly but surely everything in Star Trek is coming true.


:Broncos:

I love watching TNG... everybody is getting their food from replicators and walking around with iPads... in the 1980s.

And with AI technology, we could be on the verge of creating a real-life Data in the not-so-distant future.

Too bad we haven't advanced much past spark-and-combustion propulsion technology... or found a way to safely harnass alternating current electricity.

Doggcow 08-07-2013 02:00 AM

Well, Star Trek does kind of give us a -direction- it seems like people aren't too imaginative anymore also.

Chris 08-07-2013 03:41 AM

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image..._meat_comp.gif

Quote:

The world's population is continuing to increase and an ever greater proportion want to eat meat. To meet that demand farmers will need to use more energy, water and land - and the consequent increase in greenhouse gas emission will be substantial.

The plan for lab-grown burgers has won support from some animal welfare and vegetarian groups, who feel it addresses their concerns about animal suffering.

But critics say technological fixes, whether it is lab-grown meat or GM crops address the symptoms rather than the causes of world hunger. What is needed, they say, are policies that enable more farmers to produce more food more efficiently and to distribute it more equitably.

And then of course there is the taste. Even those behind the stem cell project agree that the meat grown will never taste as good as that from an animal. But as prices rise, environmental pressures grow and concerns over animal welfare increase, they argue their approach is the only ethical and pragmatic way forward.

rmsanger 08-07-2013 04:41 AM

will be interesting to see if it causes a higher rate of cancer or gives people teh aidz.

08-07-2013 05:41 AM

People just need to stop breeding already...

lookin' glass 08-07-2013 07:47 AM

A guy I work with suggested with the advent of 3D printer technology that includes plastics, ceramics and metals, food may not be far behind. At the same time he jokingly said a transporter type device as in Star Trek may start out as sending your bio-data and 3D printing your copy elsewhere.......

gyldenlove 08-07-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 3888750)

The irony is of course that no farm animal is in danger of extinction. There are more cows, chickens, turkeys, pigs in the world today than at any other time during the entirety of the existence of this planet. On the other hand animal after animal that nobody wants to eat is dying out. If only polar bears were delicious with fries and mango chutney there would be more of them.

If we got eggs and mcnuggets from condors there wouldn't be any chickens left in the world but there would a billion condors. If we got bacon and sausages from bengal tigers instead of pigs there would barely be any pigs left alive but there would be 3 tigers for every human in countries like Denmark and Poland.

Fact is that animals we farm will never die out, animals we don't farm on the other hand have a long history of disappearing...

bronco militia 08-07-2013 08:19 AM

ZZZ... get working on the Holodeck please

gyldenlove 08-07-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

They took three months to grow, which is, as Dr Post points out, "faster than a cow".
Lost a lot of respect for the man here. If it took him 3 months to grow a quarterpounder he is not even in the ballpark, hell it isn't even gameday. A bovine will grow more than that in a day during development. If a cow only produced a single quarter pounder this would be true, but sadly this is just dishonest on every single level.

Does he have a plan to grow fatty tissue as well or will his burgers be doomed to taste like **** and have limited nutritional value forever?

Tombstone RJ 08-07-2013 09:04 AM

What is needed, they say, are policies that enable more farmers to produce more food more efficiently and to distribute it more equitably.

This pretty much sums it up. This is the same old crap civilization has gone through in the past and will continue to go through in the future. You have to be able to have a lot of smaller, local farmers to maintain the local populations ability to eat.

When 'Merica exports millions of pounds of grain around the world, along with crops like cotton and soybean, only to have the end product manufactured somewhere else and then shipped back to the USA, the only people really benefitting from this assinine system are the freight haulers and energy/oil producers.

Hey, here's an idea--grow the crops in your own country and yah know, make things in your own country!

Don't even get me started on hemp.

baja 08-07-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3888746)
I love watching TNG... everybody is getting their food from replicators and walking around with iPads... in the 1980s.

And with AI technology, we could be on the verge of creating a real-life Data in the not-so-distant future.

Too bad we haven't advanced much past spark-and-combustion propulsion technology... or found a way to safely harnass alternating current electricity.

Maybe a good starting place would be to stop killing each other.

SeedReaver 08-07-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3888830)
Maybe a good starting place would be to stop killing each other.

Seems to me that the only way of fixing many of the world's problems is to kill MORE people. Or breed less.

baja 08-07-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeedReaver (Post 3888861)
Seems to me that the only way of fixing many of the world's problems is to kill MORE people. Or breed less.


Nature will devise a way to return the planet to balance.

Personally i foresee a pandemic or zombies in our future. ;D

HILife 08-07-2013 10:49 AM

Also looking forward to Warp drive and holodecks.

Houshyamama 08-07-2013 10:59 AM

3D printers are a better bet to give us food replicators, I guess you were joking though. I take these things too seriously.

broncocalijohn 08-07-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 (Post 3888745)
Slowly but surely everything in Star Trek is coming true.


:Broncos:

Cool! I would love to get divorced so I can marry a blue chick.

Tombstone RJ 08-07-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeedReaver (Post 3888861)
Seems to me that the only way of fixing many of the world's problems is to kill MORE people. Or breed less.

less people won't fix any problems. All these "problems" are due to incompetence and greed and other problems with human nature. Fact is, we can feed every man, woman and child in the world quite easily. 2000 years ago when the world population was a lot less, there was still people starving. There was still war, disease, famine, etc. We now live in the 21st century and guess what, the human condition is still the same.

Rohirrim 08-07-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3888891)
less people won't fix any problems. All these "problems" are due to incompetence and greed and other problems with human nature. Fact is, we can feed every man, woman and child in the world quite easily. 2000 years ago when the world population was a lot less, there was still people starving. There was still war, disease, famine, etc. We now live in the 21st century and guess what, the human condition is still the same.

That's true. Poverty is a political decision. Reducing the population is the easiest solution to most of our problems, though.

Tombstone RJ 08-07-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3888894)
That's true. Poverty is a political decision. Reducing the population is the easiest solution to most of our problems, though.

I disagree with this theory. It's a cop out and nothing more. It's a justification for homicidal societies to feel ok about themselves. With this mindset, war is ok because it culls the population. You can goose step to Hitler with a mindset like this.

SeedReaver 08-07-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3888895)
I disagree with this theory. It's a cop out and nothing more. It's a justification for homicidal societies to feel ok about themselves. With this mindset, war is ok because it culls the population. You can goose step to Hitler with a mindset like this.

I won't say it's not "evil," but at the current rate of population growth there's no question we will exhaust Earth of its resources, fake beef or not.

Rohirrim 08-07-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3888895)
I disagree with this theory. It's a cop out and nothing more. It's a justification for homicidal societies to feel ok about themselves. With this mindset, war is ok because it culls the population. You can goose step to Hitler with a mindset like this.

I'm not talking about that kind of radical, euthanasia kind of stuff. It's all cultural. If you started putting out the cultural message that two or fewer kids is more socially acceptable, over time more and more people would have fewer children. In five to ten generations or so, you get down to a population that the Earth can easily sustain and everybody alive in that time lives better off. Right now, we've stretched the Earth to the breaking point. It can't continue.

Archer81 08-07-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeedReaver (Post 3888913)
I won't say it's not "evil," but at the current rate of population growth there's no question we will exhaust Earth of its resources, fake beef or not.


They said the same things in the 1880's and 1890s when the population was less then half of what it is now.


:Broncos:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.