The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   More GOP whining (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111645)

Rigs11 08-06-2013 09:36 AM

More GOP whining
 
i don't know how you righties can stand by these clowns.Hopefullw CNN and NBC tell them to piss off.

Republicans want NBC, CNN to pull Clinton programs

WASHINGTON (AP) The Republican National Committee charged Monday that NBC and CNN are promoting a potential presidential candidacy by Hillary Rodham Clinton, threatening to blackball them from future GOP primary debates if they air upcoming programs on the former secretary of state.

RNC chairman Reince Priebus called a planned NBC miniseries on Clinton and a CNN documentary on the first lady an "extended commercial" for a future Clinton presidential campaign. In separate letters to the networks, he urged them to cancel "this political ad masquerading as an unbiased production."

Clinton has not yet said whether she'll run for president again in 2016 but her future remains the subject of wide speculation in political circles and beyond. The primary debates typically provide a ratings boost for the networks and are highly-coveted as the presidential campaign unfolds.

In making the charge, the RNC was raising a common complaint among Republican activists that news and entertainment industries favor Democratic candidates. Republicans have also used a potential Clinton campaign as a fundraising tool in recent months as both parties begin to assess the crop of candidates to succeed President Barack Obama.

CNN Films is planning a feature-length documentary film on the former first lady, looking at her professional and personal life. It will be led by Oscar-winning director and producer Charles Ferguson and is expected to air in 2014.

NBC has announced a miniseries called "Hillary," starring actress Diane Lane. No air date has been announced but it is timed to be released before the 2016 presidential election. NBC has said the four-hour miniseries will follow Clinton's life and career from 1998 to the present.

Richard Licata, an NBC Entertainment spokesman, declined comment on the request and referred calls to NBC News, which said in a statement that it "is completely independent of NBC Entertainment and has no involvement in this project."

CNN said in a statement that "instead of making premature decisions about a project that is in the very early stages of development and months from completion, we would encourage the members of the Republican National Committee to reserve judgment until they know more."

"Should they decide not to participate in debates on CNN, we would find it curious, as limiting their debate participation seems to be the ultimate disservice to voters," CNN said.

In the letters, Priebus said the RNC would refuse to partner with the two networks on future Republican primary debates or sanction any debates which CNN or NBC may sponsor if they continued with their Clinton programs. Unless the networks comply, he plans to push for the sanctions at an RNC meeting in Boston beginning on Aug. 14.

GOP leaders in the early voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina said they supported the request.

Since Mitt Romney's loss to Obama in last year's elections, Republicans have pushed to limit the number of primary debates. A large field of Republicans participated in about 20 debates in 2011 and 2012 and some party leaders argued that it hurt their ability to stay unified against Obama. An audit by the RNC released earlier this year called for about 10 to 12 primary debates during the 2016 campaign, with the first occurring no earlier than Sept. 1, 2015.

If NBC and CNN were excluded from sponsoring debates, it could help the RNC meet its recommendation.

The GOP request also shines a spotlight on the tricky nature of television news and how the entertainment wing of a network can cause headaches for its separate news division. CNN Films is a unit of CNN that was started last year to develop feature-length documentaries to be aired both on television and in movie theaters. CNN, part of Time Warner Inc., has said it also will air the Clinton documentary in theaters.

NBC Entertainment is separate from NBC News but both are part of NBCUniversal, which Comcast purchased from General Electric in 2011. In the letter, Priebus noted that executives and employees of Philadelphia-based Comcast have made large financial contributions to the campaigns of Obama and Clinton in the past.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/republicans...161843430.html

peacepipe 08-06-2013 09:53 AM

NBC & CNN have done just that so far,and should continue to do so.

Rohirrim 08-06-2013 10:02 AM

On the other hand, they keep crowing about how Fox beats everybody in the ratings. ???

The GOP has a basic Nazi streak running through the party: Stifle any action in government that doesn't fit their dogma, fix elections, get rid of the Voting Rights Act, redistrict to hold seats and control the House, control the media... It's a page right out of the Right Wing dictator hand book.

08-06-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigs11 (Post 3888234)
i don't know how you righties can stand by these clowns.Hopefullw CNN and NBC tell them to piss off.

Republicans want NBC, CNN to pull Clinton programs

WASHINGTON (AP) The Republican National Committee charged Monday that NBC and CNN are promoting a potential presidential candidacy by Hillary Rodham Clinton, threatening to blackball them from future GOP primary debates if they air upcoming programs on the former secretary of state.

RNC chairman Reince Priebus called a planned NBC miniseries on Clinton and a CNN documentary on the first lady an "extended commercial" for a future Clinton presidential campaign. In separate letters to the networks, he urged them to cancel "this political ad masquerading as an unbiased production."

Clinton has not yet said whether she'll run for president again in 2016 but her future remains the subject of wide speculation in political circles and beyond. The primary debates typically provide a ratings boost for the networks and are highly-coveted as the presidential campaign unfolds.

In making the charge, the RNC was raising a common complaint among Republican activists that news and entertainment industries favor Democratic candidates. Republicans have also used a potential Clinton campaign as a fundraising tool in recent months as both parties begin to assess the crop of candidates to succeed President Barack Obama.

CNN Films is planning a feature-length documentary film on the former first lady, looking at her professional and personal life. It will be led by Oscar-winning director and producer Charles Ferguson and is expected to air in 2014.

NBC has announced a miniseries called "Hillary," starring actress Diane Lane. No air date has been announced but it is timed to be released before the 2016 presidential election. NBC has said the four-hour miniseries will follow Clinton's life and career from 1998 to the present.

Richard Licata, an NBC Entertainment spokesman, declined comment on the request and referred calls to NBC News, which said in a statement that it "is completely independent of NBC Entertainment and has no involvement in this project."

CNN said in a statement that "instead of making premature decisions about a project that is in the very early stages of development and months from completion, we would encourage the members of the Republican National Committee to reserve judgment until they know more."

"Should they decide not to participate in debates on CNN, we would find it curious, as limiting their debate participation seems to be the ultimate disservice to voters," CNN said.

In the letters, Priebus said the RNC would refuse to partner with the two networks on future Republican primary debates or sanction any debates which CNN or NBC may sponsor if they continued with their Clinton programs. Unless the networks comply, he plans to push for the sanctions at an RNC meeting in Boston beginning on Aug. 14.

GOP leaders in the early voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina said they supported the request.

Since Mitt Romney's loss to Obama in last year's elections, Republicans have pushed to limit the number of primary debates. A large field of Republicans participated in about 20 debates in 2011 and 2012 and some party leaders argued that it hurt their ability to stay unified against Obama. An audit by the RNC released earlier this year called for about 10 to 12 primary debates during the 2016 campaign, with the first occurring no earlier than Sept. 1, 2015.

If NBC and CNN were excluded from sponsoring debates, it could help the RNC meet its recommendation.

The GOP request also shines a spotlight on the tricky nature of television news and how the entertainment wing of a network can cause headaches for its separate news division. CNN Films is a unit of CNN that was started last year to develop feature-length documentaries to be aired both on television and in movie theaters. CNN, part of Time Warner Inc., has said it also will air the Clinton documentary in theaters.

NBC Entertainment is separate from NBC News but both are part of NBCUniversal, which Comcast purchased from General Electric in 2011. In the letter, Priebus noted that executives and employees of Philadelphia-based Comcast have made large financial contributions to the campaigns of Obama and Clinton in the past.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/republicans...161843430.html

Its the Media's fault- nothing to do with poor candidates and less than desireable policies...

08-06-2013 11:20 AM

It's pretty obvious and bald-faced advance election spiking. At the very least, journalistic ethics should apply here, regardless of one's affiliation.

Rohirrim 08-06-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3888348)
It's pretty obvious and bald-faced advance election spiking. At the very least, journalistic ethics should apply here, regardless of one's affiliation.

Poor GOP. If only they had a propaganda arm or a media mogul that could make a movie about Rand Paul, or Cruz, or whatever flavor-of-the-month whack job they support this week. That's the problem with the GOP. They have such a wealth of whackos to choose from that they can't make up their minds.

It's so tough, always being the victims.

Rigs11 08-06-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3888357)
Poor GOP. If only they had a propaganda arm or a media mogul that could make a movie about Rand Paul, or Cruz, or whatever flavor-of-the-month whack job they support this week. That's the problem with the GOP. They have such a wealth of whackos to choose from that they can't make up their minds.

It's so tough, always being the victims.

yup, they are the victims.:rofl:the vile crap that fox news spouts, the guests that they have on, seems like very failed repub has a job there.poor widdle repubs..

peacepipe 08-06-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3888348)
It's pretty obvious and bald-faced advance election spiking. At the very least, journalistic ethics should apply here, regardless of one's affiliation.

LOL between fix news & other right-wing tabloid outlets they wouldn't know journalistic ethics even if their lives depended on it.

08-06-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigs11 (Post 3888363)
yup, they are the victims.:rofl:the vile crap that fox news spouts, the guests that they have on, seems like very failed repub has a job there.poor widdle repubs..

For people who supposedly never watch Fox because it's such a bad network, you seem quite in tune with what they are "spouting."

08-06-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacepipe (Post 3888370)
LOL between fix news & other right-wing tabloid outlets they wouldn't know journalistic ethics even if their lives depended on it.

And that you don't see journalistic ethics being trampled on outside of conservative networks proves my point about liberals not being able to see bias that matches their own. That's why you never take aim at CNN and MSNBC. Them = you.

08-06-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3888357)
Poor GOP. If only they had a propaganda arm or a media mogul that could make a movie about Rand Paul, or Cruz, or whatever flavor-of-the-month whack job they support this week. That's the problem with the GOP. They have such a wealth of whackos to choose from that they can't make up their minds.

It's so tough, always being the victims.

At least you admit Hillary has media outlets in her pocket, if albeit indirectly.

bronco militia 08-06-2013 12:40 PM

who the hell watches network tv, let a lone made-for-TV movies?

08-06-2013 12:44 PM

People on this thread would understand the issue if Fox News had gotten with someone known for their interest in the 2016 presidential election by airing nice documentaries about them. They would understand, rightly so, such things are pretty thinly-veiled forms of campaign advertising. It is indeed an example of the media trying to meddle in an election. You betcha it is.

peacepipe 08-06-2013 12:47 PM

These are being released by their entertainment divisions not by the news divisions, there's a difference.

08-06-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacepipe (Post 3888426)
These are being released by their entertainment divisions not by the news divisions, there's a difference.

Not a ton. They both influence people and opinions. Advertisements influence people, too. That's why ethics in all types of media are of paramount importance.

Would you think it inappropriate if someone released a documentary glamorizing Hitler as long as it were done through an "entertainment division"? You think it wouldn't impress people in a bad way to air such programs?

Rigs11 08-06-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3888408)
For people who supposedly never watch Fox because it's such a bad network, you seem quite in tune with what they are "spouting."

who ever said I don't watch it? It's the funniest channel on tv.

Rigs11 08-06-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3888425)
People on this thread would understand the issue if Fox News had gotten with someone known for their interest in the 2016 presidential election by airing nice documentaries about them. They would understand, rightly so, such things are pretty thinly-veiled forms of campaign advertising. It is indeed an example of the media trying to meddle in an election. You betcha it is.

boo hoo, those cable channels couldn't possibly be airing this for ratings...right? Quit yer whining

peacepipe 08-06-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3888459)
Not a ton. They both influence people and opinions. Advertisements influence people, too. That's why ethics in all types of media are of paramount importance.

Would you think it inappropriate if someone released a documentary glamorizing Hitler as long as it were done through an "entertainment division"? You think it wouldn't impress people in a bad way to air such programs?

So what. It isn't a news piece,it's a documentary. If fox or whoever wants to put a documentary glamorizing hitler so be it,its there prerogative/stupidity. But we're not talking about a Hitler type figure here,no comparison.

elsid13 08-06-2013 03:18 PM

Made up Swift Boat Films are alright, documentaries with historical accurate information are bad.

08-06-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacepipe (Post 3888496)
So what. It isn't a news piece,it's a documentary. If fox or whoever wants to put a documentary glamorizing hitler so be it,its there prerogative/stupidity. But we're not talking about a Hitler type figure here,no comparison.

As I said it's unethical and clearly a tactic of advance election influence. You haven't denied this.

Rohirrim 08-06-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3888412)
At least you admit Hillary has media outlets in her pocket, if albeit indirectly.

Syllogistic fallacy.

peacepipe 08-06-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3888530)
As I said it's unethical and clearly a tactic of advance election influence. You haven't denied this.

If it makes you feel better I go ahead and deny it. Not all news channels act like fox.

08-06-2013 09:24 PM

Its not like poor GOP does not have their own 500 radio stations and a TV station just dedicated for the sole purpose of advancing the policies of the GOP and their corporate overlords.

http://cdn.motinetwork.net/politifak...49320985.burns

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5531963648/hBBA5FBE0/

http://jdeanicite.typepad.com/.a/6a0...6671970b-800wi

08-07-2013 05:07 AM

There are no Democrat corporate overlords? Then why are Democrats the primary culprits behind the amnesty scheme, refusing to control the border? All that dirt cheap labor coming over here is lowering American wages and inflating American unemployment.

But Democrats aren't fat cats and are for the worker?

Maybe for the Mexican worker...

08-07-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3888537)
Syllogistic fallacy.

It's called reading between the lines.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.