The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Best Toy Box EVER! (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111637)

broncosteven 08-05-2013 07:34 PM

Best Toy Box EVER!
 
Just finished painting my old toy box for my son. It took me a long time to fix it up but it is no longer a scary old grey and red Bozo toy box and is now a sweet Orange Blue and White Bronco toy box.

My Uncle Tony (may he rest in peace) built this for me back around 1973ish, I think it took him a couple years to build it but that is about the time I got it. the dimentions are kind of funny but it makes sense and everything is to scale.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...ps72940629.jpg

I still need to buy a new set of 6" wheels all around and get a couple Bronco stickers. I have a sticker of the dude on a bucking horse I kept from around that time. I have an old D logo sticker I am thinking of putting on the driver side door and I want to get the new logo stickers to put on the trailer.

Here is the backside, the stripes go around 3 sides of the Trailer.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...ps4afb6993.jpg

Pretty sweet! So glad to finally get it out of the garage and back in use, had to share even though it is not 100% done. At least the hard part is over.

huh?? 08-05-2013 07:37 PM

Very cool. Your Uncle did a nice job on the curvy parts of the cab area.

DBroncos4life 08-05-2013 07:38 PM

Not a spaceship. Pretty disappointed.

Tombstone RJ 08-05-2013 07:39 PM

this has the Gene Kranz stamp of approval all over it...

broncosteven 08-05-2013 07:40 PM

I found the before picture.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...psb2c538b6.jpg

You have to realize it was made in the early 70's and Bozo was big in Chicago at the time. Then it sat in my aunts basement on a farm for about 20 years so it was pretty rough.

08-05-2013 07:41 PM

Man that is nice, your uncle built a nice family heirloom. Nice job on the restoration.

DBroncos4life 08-05-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3888079)
I found the before picture.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...psb2c538b6.jpg

You have to realize it was made in the early 70's and Bozo was big in Chicago at the time. Then it sat in my aunts basement on a farm for about 20 years so it was pretty rough.

A picker would have paid cash money for that.

broncosteven 08-05-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huh?? (Post 3888076)
Very cool. Your Uncle did a nice job on the curvy parts of the cab area.

Yes he did and I am still not sure how he did it even after sanding it down and prepping it.

It was a joke with him and my parents for a couple years because he started it when my mom was prego with me and it took him about 5 years to finish but it is all hand made and solid, no nails on a finished area I could find.

The funny thing is my Uncle Tony was an exec for Zenith, he did wood work on the side to relax but he was very good at it. I always loved to go into his work shop in their garage. he always had a project or 2 on the bench.

broncosteven 08-05-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuck in Cali (Post 3888081)
Man that is nice, your uncle built a nice family heirloom. Nice job on the restoration.

Thanks, I know where I hosed up the paint here or there and there are a couple spots I should have sanded more. Considering my health issues and I haven't done anything like this before I think I did pretty good. I got to the point where I said I am going to prime it and paint it and hope the paint covers the imperfections. Then there are some spots on the detail of the stripes that I know are there but I am no pro and wanted it done before I hosed it up even more.

Plus my 10 year old daughter helped me so it makes it even more special that we did it together.

huh?? 08-05-2013 07:50 PM

:yep:Man, the "before" version would've scared the crap out of me as a little kid.

Tombstone RJ 08-05-2013 07:52 PM

you should be able to find some Broncos decals somewhere to stick on it.

broncosteven 08-05-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huh?? (Post 3888087)
:yep:Man, the "before" version would've scared the crap out of me as a little kid.

The before pic is 40 years later and it sat in a farm house basement for 20 or more so it was farm fresh and rough but when I had it in my room it wasn't that scary but this version would have been!

I still don't know where he got the Bozo decals, I spent some time looking for them but couldn't find anything.

Wanted to go with the Bronco theme anyway.

broncosteven 08-05-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3888088)
you should be able to find some Broncos decals somewhere to stick on it.

My daughter and I talked about stenciling in the Bronco HOF'ers on the back but It would have taken too long to do so I stopped here.

I have one of those "If God's not a Bronco fan why are sunsets orange" bumper stickers but not sure I want to load it up too much.

I do want to use the sticker I have of each of the logo's they used.

I have this one I got when we lived in Denver at the time:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...EYPLYhtEjIkNEA

and I have a D logo sticker like I said I was thinking about putting on the door.

I have some window clings which are the perfect size of the new logo but they are window clings not stickers. I am sure the team store has some.

Tombstone RJ 08-05-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3888097)
My daughter and I talked about stenciling in the Bronco HOF'ers on the back but It would have taken too long to do so I stopped here.

I have one of those "If God's not a Bronco fan why are sunsets orange" bumper stickers but not sure I want to load it up too much.

I do want to use the sticker I have of each of the logo's they used.

I have this one I got when we lived in Denver at the time:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...EYPLYhtEjIkNEA

and I have a D logo sticker like I said I was thinking about putting on the door.

I have some window clings which are the perfect size of the new logo but they are window clings not stickers. I am sure the team store has some.

you might check ebay and see if anyone is selling Broncos stickers...

Kaylore 08-05-2013 09:49 PM

That clown will eat your soul.

baja 08-05-2013 09:52 PM

Looks Beautiful. You did a great job. Your son will treasure it just as you have all these years.

SouthStndJunkie 08-05-2013 09:53 PM

Clowns are creepy and I don't trust them.

ZONA 08-05-2013 09:56 PM

Yup, it should have been a satellite or a deathstar toy box. Cmon man, you're slipping.

delany 08-05-2013 11:04 PM

You sure that isn't a Chicago Bears toy box?

colorado jones 08-05-2013 11:34 PM

The before photo reminds me of John Wayne Gacy.

broncosteven 08-06-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delany (Post 3888146)
You sure that isn't a Chicago Bears toy box?

I was going to go a lighter older school blue but it is for my son and this is what the colors are now so I figured I would go with the darker royal blue.

Once the stickers are on there will be no doubt.

Plus all my neighbors living here in the very edges of the Chi-town Burbs all knew it was a Bronco Themed Toy Box. Have got a lot of comments from the friends in the cul-de-sac.

UberBroncoMan 08-06-2013 02:07 AM

That clown is scary as ****.

broncosteven 08-06-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorado jones (Post 3888152)
The before photo reminds me of John Wayne Gacy.

You can see the spots where my brother who was 7 years younger than me put Garbage pail kids stickers all over it. I was so mad. He had his own toy box, it was a big plastic green Frog which was pretty cool for us to hide in but as a toy box **** would fall out every time you opened it.

FWIW for all of you disappointed it was not a spaceship if you took all the toys out you could take some card board and makeup guages and buttons and turn it into an Apollo CM or a X wing fighter or even a small Star Trek Shuttle craft on rainy days.

That is why it took so long to fix up i had to fill in all the scratches and gouges with this putty which was kinda like bondo but was more of a craft thing. That stuff is a killer to sand as was removing those old stickers I wanted to make sure what I could not get off was smoothed over with the putty and then there were chunks of wood I had to reglue on. I have one small bumper piece I cut out and was ready but didn't have a long clamp to use to clamp it down after gluing it so I just finished it off then painted over it and it is hard to see without looking for it. Maybe my son can fix it for his boy another 20 or more years down the road.

Thank god my Aunt Pat who was my Uncle Tony's sister-in-law was willing to keep it for me as we moved around our last couple stops and until I was ready to pick it up. If we picked it up in the house I went to HS in it would have been in the basement and got flooded and I would have had to throw it out. It is a survivor but totally needed the Complete Restomod.

Lot of fun to work on but also caused a lot of pain for me to get down and work on it, my daughter was a big help with both design as well as painting the inside and doing a lot of the sanding. Her sanding it down was what got me close enough to throw primer on and paint it.

Thanks again for all the feed back guys!

80smith 08-06-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3888155)
You can see the spots where my brother who was 7 years younger than me put Garbage pail kids stickers all over it. I was so mad. He had his own toy box, it was a big plastic green Frog which was pretty cool for us to hide in but as a toy box **** would fall out every time you opened it.
Thanks again for all the feed back guys!

I don't remember that thing at all. I do remember the turtle toy box. You sure it was me putting the stickers on it and not our sister framing me and getting back at you for doing something to her all in one shot? She is good at doing things like that.

broncosteven 08-06-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80smith (Post 3888633)
I don't remember that thing at all. I do remember the turtle toy box. You sure it was me putting the stickers on it and not our sister framing me and getting back at you for doing something to her all in one shot? She is good at doing things like that.

You weren't even born yet when I got it. Our toyboxes were next to each other in the Denver, Coldwater, houses and the basement of the Lapeer house (I still despise Lapeer MI) but I think it went to Pats when I out grew it and we went to FL.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.