The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   *UPDATE* Chris Kuper says he'd be willing to switch to center & RYAN LILJA SIGNS A ONE YEAR DEAL (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111573)

Bronco Rob 07-30-2013 05:50 PM

*UPDATE* Chris Kuper says he'd be willing to switch to center & RYAN LILJA SIGNS A ONE YEAR DEAL

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...psdb887e16.png

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9933596a.jpg

With Denver's depth at center decimated by injuries, a former Pro Bowl guard says he could step into that role - when healthy.

A position switch is no minor task, even along the offensive line. But that's exactly what the Broncos have asked Manny Ramirez to do this offseason: make the switch from guard to center.

Could they ask another player to do the same?

Chris Kuper has often been talked about in that role, and today the injured right guard confirmed to ESPN that he would consider such a move.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6069b52b.png

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/7...itch-to-center

:thumbs:

The Denver Broncos have reached out to a long-time teammate of Peyton Manning.

And it isn’t Jeff Saturday.

FOX Sports has learned that center/guard Ryan Lilja is contemplating an offer from the Broncos.

Lilja, 31, announced his retirement last December following his third season with the Kansas City Chiefs. Lilja started 59 games for the Manning-led Indianapolis Colts at guard between 2004 and 2009. Lilja played center with the Chiefs in 2012.

Lilja’s potential addition would comes on the heels of the season-ending knee injury suffered by Broncos center Dan Koppen during last Sunday’s training camp practice. Koppen was replacing starting center J.D. Walton, who is sidelined until at least October following offseason ankle surgery. The Broncos shifted Louis Vasquez from guard to center in subsequent practices.

Lilja's agent Craig Domann was unavailable for comment.

Saturday’s name was mentioned in media speculation as a potential Broncos signing because of his long-time affiliation with Manning as his center in Indianapolis. Saturday, though, will remain retired and serve as an NFL television analyst.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/d...s-colts-073013

oubronco 07-30-2013 05:57 PM

I think he would excel there

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 07-30-2013 06:02 PM

Yes. Please!

BroncoMan4ever 07-30-2013 06:28 PM

He could be a beast at C. He is already one of if not the smartest lineman on the team. And he has got to be better than Blake or Ramirez.

Rascal 07-30-2013 06:29 PM

When will he be healthy?

chanesaw 07-30-2013 06:33 PM

I am thinking that if he believes that once he is healthy enough to take the field again that he won't be immediately cut (like Willis), then suddenly be good enough to play. Not that he is dogging it now, but rather if he knows he has a role on the team then he will play through the pain of the injury because he is a tough SOB.

extralife 07-30-2013 06:35 PM

he'll say that because why wouldn't he want to be on the field, but they're not going to yank ramirez out of the lineup for a guy who has never played the position. if he was healthy now, then yeah, I'm sure they'd give it a shot. week 2 or whatever? not so much.

Tombstone RJ 07-30-2013 06:39 PM

Center is not a plug and play position. I can see Kuper switching but it will take time. The center/QB exchange is paramount, add in a long snap and it's not as simple as it sounds. That's just the physical/technique side of it, then there's the mental aspect of it. Kuper is used to making line calls so I think he'll do that part ok, but when combined with the other aspects of playing center it may take a little while and by the time Kuper is really ready, JD Walton may be back.

Tombstone RJ 07-30-2013 06:50 PM

I think if the Broncos are still worried about the center position by the time the season starts, they will pick up a center after team roster cuts start happening... maybe heckert getting all tanked and driving will adversely affect the team after all....

Br0nc0Buster 07-30-2013 06:56 PM

still no timeline when he will get healthy

Al and DMac supposedly dont think he will be healthy anytime soon

07-30-2013 06:58 PM

ManRam is the guy now. Kuper isn't going to be healthy enough to learn a new position and actually start this season at center imo.

Lestat 07-30-2013 07:49 PM

i think he could be ideal for the C position but it will take time to get it down, especially in a Manning offense.

broncosteven 07-30-2013 07:50 PM

I just want Kuper on the team, if it is C or RG I will be happy.

SoCalBronco 07-30-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3885087)
I just want Kuper on the team, if it is C or RG I will be happy.

Agreed

Br0nc0Buster 07-30-2013 08:05 PM

@alexmarvez: Being posted ASAP @FOXSports.com: @DenverBroncos have reached out to G/C Ryan Lilja about coming out of retirement.

maybe the coaches arent that confident Kuper will come back either

DBroncos4life 07-30-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster (Post 3885092)
@alexmarvez: Being posted ASAP @FOXSports.com: @DenverBroncos have reached out to G/C Ryan Lilja about coming out of retirement.

I would be OK with this. Even if he is just a backup.

broncosteven 07-30-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

He was better at G, he had snapping issues but he was their best G and did a decent job blocking wise as a center.

pricejj 07-30-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

LOL

ManRam was a lie? Desperation time. ManRam getting man-rammed in practice.

Bronco Rob 07-30-2013 08:22 PM

The Denver Broncos have reached out to a long-time teammate of Peyton Manning.

And it isn’t Jeff Saturday.

FOX Sports has learned that center/guard Ryan Lilja is contemplating an offer from the Broncos.

Lilja, 31, announced his retirement last December following his third season with the Kansas City Chiefs. Lilja started 59 games for the Manning-led Indianapolis Colts at guard between 2004 and 2009. Lilja played center with the Chiefs in 2012.

Lilja’s potential addition would comes on the heels of the season-ending knee injury suffered by Broncos center Dan Koppen during last Sunday’s training camp practice. Koppen was replacing starting center J.D. Walton, who is sidelined until at least October following offseason ankle surgery. The Broncos shifted Louis Vasquez from guard to center in subsequent practices.

Lilja's agent Craig Domann was unavailable for comment.

Saturday’s name was mentioned in media speculation as a potential Broncos signing because of his long-time affiliation with Manning as his center in Indianapolis. Saturday, though, will remain retired and serve as an NFL television analyst.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/d...s-colts-073013

07-30-2013 08:24 PM

That article above states Vasquez was moved from guard to center? That has to be a mistake. Relying on Walton being healthy was a mistake. Now they seem to be scrambling

DBroncos4life 07-30-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3885098)
He was better at G, he had snapping issues but he was their best G and did a decent job blocking wise as a center.

Chiefs fans are already pimping up Poe vs Lilja. :rofl:

07-30-2013 08:24 PM

title edit needs work

07-30-2013 08:26 PM

I'd love for kuper to be healthy and come back and play at a pro bowl level again, but I don't see any way he makes the team. I think if they wanted to keep him, they'd have restructured his contract by now. I think they're waiting for him to get healthy so they can cut him without an injury settlement, like they did with mays.

cmhargrove 07-30-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlyEli (Post 3885108)
I'd love for kuper to be healthy and come back and play at a pro bowl level again, but I don't see any way he makes the team. I think if they wanted to keep him, they'd have restructured his contract by now. I think they're waiting for him to get healthy so they can cut him without an injury settlement, like they did with mays.

It's a valid point, but I disagree.

We are in full "win now" mode, and have no possible replacement as good as Kuper (and none available on the open market). Money isn't an issue for this team, and we could be one play from losing one of our other "starting guards." Kuper is an excellent lineman when healthy - good enough to help us win a Superbowl. I don't think he is going anywhere unless he has a major physical setback that puts his playing future in jeopardy.

pricejj 07-30-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3885105)
Relying on Walton being healthy was a mistake. Now they seem to be scrambling

This. Especially after Kuper's long road with the exact same injury.