The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   OT: GABF (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111570)

TheElusiveKyleOrton 07-30-2013 09:27 AM

OT: GABF

Anyone going this year? Just got my tickets in the presale for the Saturday afternoon tasting with the pros. Can't wait!

crush17 07-30-2013 09:34 AM

After the prices were raised to $75 a piece I have decided to skip this year. I have gone the past 6 years- 2 nights- each year. Too expensive now.

Irish Stout 07-30-2013 09:58 AM

Going, but only cause I got talked into volunteering where I'd earn two free tickets. Last year just didn't quite cut it for me after paying and dealing with the masses and 1oz tastes.

I like more low-key beer events, where you get a decent pour and can actually take the time to taste the beer. Also, where there aren't so many breweries that you can stop by each tent and actually have a chat with the beer reps.

To each their own. GABF has its place and its incredible to see what the American Beer World has become.

By the way, for everyone in Denver, check out River North Brewery on Blake and 23rd (where Flying Dog used to be). It gets my vote for best new brewery in the area, and perhaps best brewery in Denver next to Strange.

TheElusiveKyleOrton 07-30-2013 10:16 AM

River North is good, though i wouldn't call them a "new" brewery anymore. They've been there for a few years now.

Strange, Dry Dock, Prost and Great Divide are my go-to's locally. And Crooked Stave is making a BIG push with some of their offerings.

07-30-2013 11:09 AM

One that used to be pretty great when I lived in the area was the Craft Lager Festival in Manitou Springs. It was awesome. Low crowd, no tokens, plenty of music. It's on the smaller side too so you don't have to walk a mile from one end to the other. Plus a lot of it is shaded by trees so no freakin heat stroke.

It's coming up in a couple of weeks for those interested.

07-30-2013 11:16 AM

Are tickets still available? If so where?

enjolras 07-30-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 3884868)
Are tickets still available? If so where?

They go on sale to the public tomorrow. They'll be gone in less than 15 seconds (seriously).

TheElusiveKyleOrton 07-30-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjolras (Post 3884870)
They go on sale to the public tomorrow. They'll be gone in less than 15 seconds (seriously).

This. 10am Mountain time tomorrow. I got in the presale that's open to Homebrewers Association members, so I was able to get in today at 10.

Tombstone RJ 07-30-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crush17 (Post 3884814)
After the prices were raised to $75 a piece I have decided to skip this year. I have gone the past 6 years- 2 nights- each year. Too expensive now.

Wow. The last time I went it was $25 to get in.

Irish Stout 07-30-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton (Post 3884843)
River North is good, though i wouldn't call them a "new" brewery anymore. They've been there for a few years now.

Strange, Dry Dock, Prost and Great Divide are my go-to's locally. And Crooked Stave is making a BIG push with some of their offerings.

They opened in February or March of 2012, which was about the same time as Hogshead and Prost. I consider that pretty new.

Denver Beer Company opened about this time of year in 2011. I still consider that fairly new, compared to Dry Dock, Great Divide, etc... Their initial beers were not nearly as good as what I've had their this summer. They seem to have got the hang of it now. Especially if you like belgian styles and sours.

Strange and River North are definitely my breweries of choice right now, though Great Divide always impresses with their consistency in delivering a quality beverage. I'm personally not a huge fan of Prost, though they're leaps and bounds better than Denver Beer Co. across the highway.

De Steeg on Tennyson is also putting forth some tasty beverages. Not hard to find a good place for a good beer in this state. Not sure that Weld county has any decent breweries though. Maybe that is why they want to leave... they hate beer.

Irish Stout 07-30-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnykbr (Post 3884863)
One that used to be pretty great when I lived in the area was the Craft Lager Festival in Manitou Springs. It was awesome. Low crowd, no tokens, plenty of music. It's on the smaller side too so you don't have to walk a mile from one end to the other. Plus a lot of it is shaded by trees so no freakin heat stroke.

It's coming up in a couple of weeks for those interested.

Excellent! I'm heading up to the Winter Park Brew Fest next weekend.

mwill07 07-30-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton (Post 3884812)
Anyone going this year? Just got my tickets in the presale for the Saturday afternoon tasting with the pros. Can't wait!

Just got mine for the same session too. My wife and I like to come up for one game a year, and picked the Jacksonville game because our kids school has that monday off - teacher inservice day, and so grandma and grandpa won't have to worry about getting the kids to school...plus, it would be nice to not freeze like we did last January. We didn't even realize this was GABF weekend when we booked the trip.

As a homebrewer, I'm especially excited to go see what the pros are up to.

07-30-2013 02:00 PM

After going for like 4-5 years in a row I've stopped the past couple years because tickets are impossible to get and if you've done it once youve done it a million times

Highly recommended, but there's many other more accessible festivals for locals to concentrate on. If you're making a trip of it however, hats off to ya, have a blast! Keep a secure hold on your glass.

TheElusiveKyleOrton 07-30-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Stout (Post 3884898)
They opened in February or March of 2012, which was about the same time as Hogshead and Prost. I consider that pretty new.

Denver Beer Company opened about this time of year in 2011. I still consider that fairly new, compared to Dry Dock, Great Divide, etc... Their initial beers were not nearly as good as what I've had their this summer. They seem to have got the hang of it now. Especially if you like belgian styles and sours.

Strange and River North are definitely my breweries of choice right now, though Great Divide always impresses with their consistency in delivering a quality beverage. I'm personally not a huge fan of Prost, though they're leaps and bounds better than Denver Beer Co. across the highway.

De Steeg on Tennyson is also putting forth some tasty beverages. Not hard to find a good place for a good beer in this state. Not sure that Weld county has any decent breweries though. Maybe that is why they want to leave... they hate beer.

You know, you're right. I could have sworn they opened in '11, but I guess I was off on that by quite a bit.

Denver Beer Co. has just never impressed me with their offerings. it's a great PLACE, and I love that I can bring the dog and hang out in the sunshine on their cool patio, but as far as beer goes, it's just not impressive at all.

Strange's 1000 Barrel IPA is awesome, and a must-have every time. Same with the Strange Pale, which is beautifully balanced, IMO.

I'm with you on the consistency of Great Divide. That place is awesome. Titan is amazing, and I love what they do with the Yetis. That Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti is just incredible. Doesn't hurt that I'm in there so many times per week, they give me good guy discounts almost every time. I got absolutely hammered in there two weeks ago, had at least 5 beers, and paid $10. At the top was "Good Guy Discount."

I was pleased.

TheElusiveKyleOrton 07-30-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwill07 (Post 3884924)
Just got mine for the same session too. My wife and I like to come up for one game a year, and picked the Jacksonville game because our kids school has that monday off - teacher inservice day, and so grandma and grandpa won't have to worry about getting the kids to school...plus, it would be nice to not freeze like we did last January. We didn't even realize this was GABF weekend when we booked the trip.

As a homebrewer, I'm especially excited to go see what the pros are up to.

My buddy and I will probably pregame at Illegal Pete's for some breakfast burritos beforehand if you and your missus wanna join us.

broncosteven 07-30-2013 03:12 PM

Anyone know of any Afterglow brewing fests where I can wave to the ladies in my swag?

cmhargrove 07-30-2013 07:19 PM

Going for the Saturday afternoon members only event. Jacksonville game on Sunday.

I was also looking into the Oskar Blues "Ordeal" bus tour. Anyone do this or talk to someone wo did last year? Looks like a really fun tour. Also, the Denver "Brews Cruise" sponsors an event called RendezBrew at the Breckenridge Brewery - anyone go to that last year?