The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Farm Bill and Food Stamps (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111420)

elsid13 07-12-2013 05:22 AM

Farm Bill and Food Stamps
 
So yesterday the house past Farm Bill that stripped out all support for Food Stamp program and other related food safety net programs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z1

This link show what states got the most benefits

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...s/food-stamps/

I don't understand the desire to remove this safety net program? Do you think this the idea some folks think that only ones that benefit are in urban areas? Or that the program is being waste of monies?

Meanwhile the farm portion of this bill helped a lot large agribusiness get monetary support and tax breaks.

elsid13 07-12-2013 05:23 AM

Blog on the success of the SNAP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ing-over-them/

07-12-2013 08:49 AM

I personally like clean Bills, so I have no issue with SNAP being stripped from the Farm Bill.. in fact, I'd like to see Congress vote on Clean Bills across the board, but I also understand there is simply to much volume for that, but I like the idea.

For Democrats is a politcal plus either way, cuts or no cuts. It will be hard to justify taking food out of the mouths of poor people for Conservatives if their intention is to just make it a line item to cut. Now of their plan it to vet and improve the program to deliver the same assistance at lower cost overall, and that is the reason for stripping it, it could be a great politcal move for Conservatives....

alot of people on SNAP are lower income whites who didn't show up to poll in 2012, and the GOP cites getting those people back at the ballot box as their electoral savior in 2016... but you run the risk of flipping those people or having them stay home once again if you cut of their food assistance..

Interesting nonetheless...

Rigs11 07-12-2013 09:33 AM

The GOP somehow think that hammering the NSA for spying will get them points at the ballot box yet they pull something like this.Politically they are screwing themselves again, add in their refusal to get immigration done, or anything for that matter, and it's going to be a tough '14 and '16 for them.

07-12-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigs11 (Post 3876447)
The GOP somehow think that hammering the NSA for spying will get them points at the ballot box yet they pull something like this.Politically they are screwing themselves again, add in their refusal to get immigration done, or anything for that matter, and it's going to be a tough '14 and '16 for them.

Polls have shown among Americans that cuts in Food Stamp programs are favorable, 60% or so... but it is a political gamble where the GOP could win/lose, the Democrats almost certainly win either way.

You have to wonder where voters priortize these items, and which item the GOP shoudl be focusing their energy on:

1. Abortion
2. Food Stamps for the Poor
3. Immigration Bill

Rigs11 07-12-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Large (Post 3876449)
Polls have shown among Americans that cuts in Food Stamp programs are favorable, 60% or so... but it is a political gamble where the GOP could win/lose, the Democrats almost certainly win either way.

You have to wonder where voters priortize these items, and which item the GOP shoudl be focusing their energy on:

1. Abortion
2. Food Stamps for the Poor
3. Immigration Bill

link? and limbaugh already has a solution....dumpster diving.:rofl:The problem with the gop is they are never willing to relent on anything, they continually scream for bipartisanship, and yet they are unwilling to compromise on anything. their main focus is to make obama look bad.

07-12-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigs11 (Post 3876450)
link? and limbaugh already has a solution....dumpster diving.:rofl:The problem with the gop is they are never willing to relent on anything, they continually scream for bipartisanship, and yet they are unwilling to compromise on anything. their main focus is to make obama look bad.

The polls are in here, as well as the one that see Americans favorable fo banning abortions after 20 weeks.

http://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files....03/8405-t1.pdf

The GOP is terrified of an Immigration Bill being passed, it will disrupt their message of "presidential failure" as Obama stamps not only Immigration Reform, but Healthcare Reform, two huge reforms that no one in the last 30 years has been able to achieve.

Its hard to see what they will talk about in 2014 and 2016. What have they done? Passed Abortion Laws in Red States, ok. Cut Food Stamps or poor people, ok. I mean what do they campaign on? Jobs... ok, what have they done to change that other than blame Obama.... Obama is done so they cannot simple run anti-Obama. Hillary is a savvy Dem Vet who women love, wife of succesfull well liked President who government from the Center... it will be tough message inexperience or incompetence...

elsid13 07-12-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigs11 (Post 3876450)
link? and limbaugh already has a solution....dumpster diving.:rofl:The problem with the gop is they are never willing to relent on anything, they continually scream for bipartisanship, and yet they are unwilling to compromise on anything. their main focus is to make obama look bad.

The WASPOST link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ssage-machine/)

"Similarly, Americans are on-board with reductions in the food stamp program. A January Kaiser Family Foundation poll showed 69 percent of Americans favored some kind of reduction in the food stamp program."

But I wonder what the question was that was asked.

cutthemdown 07-12-2013 10:34 AM

Bragging about healthcare reform funny considering most americans hate it.

07-12-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3876467)
Bragging about healthcare reform funny considering most americans hate it.

The GOP feet stomping fear campaign will end when this law goes into effect in a few months and people look around and the world has not collapsed around them- no doom and gloom, people will basically realize the act lets them buy insurance in their State as they would as group plan through an employer. Massachusetts did fall into the Atlantic after its state-based HCR went into effect.... yes, I will admit the implementation was rough and the Fed did provide some help at first... but when was the last article about Massachusetts socialist halthcare takeover- yep, there isn't one- the system is still State based with private insurers and providers... no year long waiting lines, no care denials in masse, no MD's quitting and becoming bankers...

If the Law is truly apoclyptic, why doesn't the GOP just let it implode form the sidelines and let the voters see the fallout themselves.... they're going to look pretty foolish IF it is successful, since they did not have 1 vote for it and voted to repeal bearly 40 times with no alternative replacement plan- the GOP is terrified that is will be successful, that's why.

To add, how can they hate it when 90% of it isn't in place yet? I see conservatives already b****ing about how ACA has ruined things here at my hospital.... good lord, at least wait until it does into effect to b****, they look like complete dummies.

07-12-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3876452)
The WASPOST link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ssage-machine/)

"Similarly, Americans are on-board with reductions in the food stamp program. A January Kaiser Family Foundation poll showed 69 percent of Americans favored some kind of reduction in the food stamp program."

But I wonder what the question was that was asked.

People probably believe there is excess and waste in the program, at that some people on the rolls don't need to be.... I would agree that is probably the reality.

Garcia Bronco 07-12-2013 10:51 AM

When I see people buying booze and video games with EBT cards I get ****ing pissed. Having said that I don't believe the programs need to be eliminated either. However if it's not food or cloths GTFO.

elsid13 07-12-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Large (Post 3876478)
People probably believe there is excess and waste in the program, at that some people on the rolls don't need to be.... I would agree that is probably the reality.

It's made up Reagan Welfare Queen myth that hurts a program that does a lot of good.

Garcia Bronco 07-12-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3876487)
It's made up Reagan Welfare Queen myth that hurts a program that does a lot of good.

We have people getting subsidized phone, video game systems, homes/section 8 housing, booze, and so on. This is not what it was intended for.

Rohirrim 07-12-2013 11:22 AM

Obviously, the poor are destroying this country. They're the ones behind all of the bull**** that's happening. Look at the wealth disparity! Worst in the industrialized world! Who's to blame for that? Just look at the numbers. Only one percent of the population can be categorized as really, really rich. Hell, their numbers are getting smaller every day. Imagine the oppression they must feel? They're under constant attack. But look at all those poor people! There are millions of them. Their numbers keep growing. That's what is dragging us down.

If we cut off their food, that should fix it. ;D

Pony Boy 07-12-2013 12:15 PM

Does anyone really think the food stamp program will disappear?

There will be a separate food stamp bill passed just in the nick of time and there will be tons of pork attached to it .......... business as usual.

elsid13 07-12-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony Boy (Post 3876527)
Does anyone really think the food stamp program will disappear?

There will be a separate food stamp bill passed just in the nick of time and there will be tons of pork attached to it .......... business as usual.

There is movement by the House Republicans to seriously cut the STAMP program and add enough poison pills in it that will never pass, leaving American hungry in no win situation

cutthemdown 07-12-2013 12:40 PM

Umm blarge the law does not go into effect anytime soon. There will be even more delays because Obama doesn't want people to figure out it doesn't work until after 2014.

You can't postpone the employer part of healthcare then just tell the people go get insurance losers. The states exchanges are not ready. The govt not ready to set up those exchanges. They will soon announce that it will all be put off. Why? because its a jobs killer and the President knows it.

cutthemdown 07-12-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony Boy (Post 3876527)
Does anyone really think the food stamp program will disappear?

There will be a separate food stamp bill passed just in the nick of time and there will be tons of pork attached to it .......... business as usual.

Yep not to mention all the help states give people. Don't worry your voters will get there Obama Cheese.

gunns 07-12-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Large (Post 3876478)
People probably believe there is excess and waste in the program, at that some people on the rolls don't need to be.... I would agree that is probably the reality.

It is very much the reality. SNAP rules and regulations have become so lax ANYBODY could go in and get 2 months worth of food stamps.

You think there are a lot of missing fathers? Check out the food stamp doles. Not eligible or eligible for only minimal food stamps because of Daddy's income? Suddenly daddy is gone. They put a time limit, requirements, and multiple restrictions on financial assistance and there has been a significant decrease. The same needs to be done. Who chose to have those children? Yep, about time they took responsibility and yes that might mean some hard work. Boohoo.

mhgaffney 07-12-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3876325)
So yesterday the house past Farm Bill that stripped out all support for Food Stamp program and other related food safety net programs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z1

This link show what states got the most benefits

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...s/food-stamps/

I don't understand the desire to remove this safety net program? Do you think this the idea some folks think that only ones that benefit are in urban areas? Or that the program is being waste of monies?

Meanwhile the farm portion of this bill helped a lot large agribusiness get monetary support and tax breaks.

Gutting social programs is part of the banksters' plan is to transfer wealth from the public sector into private hands.

gunns 07-12-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3876544)
Umm blarge the law does not go into effect anytime soon. There will be even more delays because Obama doesn't want people to figure out it doesn't work until after 2014.

You can't postpone the employer part of healthcare then just tell the people go get insurance losers. The states exchanges are not ready. The govt not ready to set up those exchanges. They will soon announce that it will all be put off. Why? because its a jobs killer and the President knows it.

Really? Not what I've heard and I definitely would have heard it. And I know my states exchanges are ready. Being a part of the government here that is setting some of this up we are ready for people to start applying in October.

07-12-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3876544)
Umm blarge the law does not go into effect anytime soon. There will be even more delays because Obama doesn't want people to figure out it doesn't work until after 2014.

You can't postpone the employer part of healthcare then just tell the people go get insurance losers. The states exchanges are not ready. The govt not ready to set up those exchanges. They will soon announce that it will all be put off. Why? because its a jobs killer and the President knows it.

October 1 people can go to exchanges and shop plans.

http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/insurance/index.html

You may be right that it can bedelay it, I don't have a crystal ball nor psychic powers but that is unlikely and we just over 60 days from that portion of the phase in. There is no reason to delay the exchanges for individuals, alot people want to buy insurance, and the uninsurable are dying to get a policy to cover them. Also, 96% of people current with group coverage won't care because they have no reason to visit an State exchange because they have coverage through their employer.

I am not a dedicated partisan, so I will argee the delay in the employer mandate is probably politically motived rather than fuctionally motivated- but afterall no matter what party your subscribe, they are polticians who seek seats and electoral victories, so I don;t understand the outrage over the move- the voter will decide what they think... the Democrats want to focus on Immigration Reform failure (which looks likely) and rengage the War on Women for the Midterms.... and of course Food Stamp cuts will be in there to...

Colorado and Maine, both places I may be next year have exchanges ready to go online for the State Exchange- I have already gotten quotes and have spoken to a non-profit exchange rep in Colorado, so they are ready to go.

there is really no basis that this is a job killer, the compaines affected are a small part of the equation, and the business community and the adminstration wil get something worked out, they always do- its called a negotiation, and the delay is the first step in that process.

I really wish more people would actually read the law, there is so much good stuff in there it is hard to imagine how it will change the landscape of healthcare in a very positive way- but, alas most people will rely of Fox, National Review and Rush to intepret the Law for them, and there is not use in covincing them otherwise... so I won't waste my breathe on those folks.

gunns 07-12-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3876505)
Obviously, the poor are destroying this country. They're the ones behind all of the bull**** that's happening. Look at the wealth disparity! Worst in the industrialized world! Who's to blame for that? Just look at the numbers. Only one percent of the population can be categorized as really, really rich. Hell, their numbers are getting smaller every day. Imagine the oppression they must feel? They're under constant attack. But look at all those poor people! There are millions of them. Their numbers keep growing. That's what is dragging us down.

If we cut off their food, that should fix it. ;D

The problem doesn't lie with the truly poor and low income. It lies with the policies, rules, and regulations. It has created enormous fraud abilities and also enables some to not try harder to be self sufficient.

07-12-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunns (Post 3876554)
Really? Not what I've heard and I definitely would have heard it. And I know my states exchanges are ready. Being a part of the government here that is setting some of this up we are ready for people to start applying in October.

It appears the current strategy is the Conservative circles is that if you say it is going to falling apart, not be implemented and repealed enough, magic will happen and make it so. My father is law is convince it is about the be repealed... I asked him how they do that, repeal a law... he didn't know how that is done for any law.. no use arguing further

Look, I can't debate the merit of the plan with people who refuse to discuss the facts and reality of the Law implementation.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.