The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   OT: Boeing 777 crashes at San Francisco International Airport (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111383)

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 07-06-2013 02:54 PM

OT: Boeing 777 crashes at San Francisco International Airport
 
Quote:

BREAKING NEWS: An Asiana Airlines flight crashed while landing at San Francisco International Airport, Fox News confirms.
It was not immediately known whether there were any injuries.
Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Laura Brown says Flight 214 was coming from Seoul, South Korea and was supposed to land on runway 28 left at San Francisco International Airport at 11:26 PDT.
She said the sequence of events was still unclear, but it appeared the plane landed and then crashed.
A video clip posted to Youtube shows smoke coming from the silver-colored Boeing 777 jet on the tarmac. Passengers could be seen jumping down the inflatable emergency slides.
Fire trucks could be seen spraying white fire retardant on the wreckage.
A call to the airline seeking comment wasn't immediately returned.
The plane was estimated to be carrying at least 292 passengers. A Boeing 777-200 can carry between 246 to 300 passengers. The twin-engine aircraft is one of Boeing's best selling airplane models. It is often used for flights of 12 hours or more, from one continent to another.
The National Transportation Safety Board says it's sending a team of investigators to San Francisco to probe the crash of an Asiana airliner.
NTSB spokeswoman Kelly Nantel said Saturday that NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman would head the team.
All flights out of San Francisco International Airport have been canceled, the FAA said.
A tweet from Boeing said the company's thoughts are with those affected by the crash, and that the will assist the NTSB in the investigation.
The airline, founded in 1988, is based in Seoul, South Korea. It has recently tried to expand its presence in the United States, and joined the oneWorld alliance, anchored by American Airlines and British Airways.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/06...ional-airport/


http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...ile-landing-at

Quote:

SFO -- A Boeing 777 crash landed at San Francisco International Airport Saturday morning, and preliminary reports are that two people have died and more than 60 are injured, according to television news reports.
A federal aviation official said Asiana Airlines flight 214 crashed while landing at about 11:30 a.m. after arriving from Seoul, South Korea.
KTVU is reporting two deaths and between 60 and 70 people flooding Bay Area emergency rooms for treatment.
SFO spokesman Doug Yakel declined to release information on injuries or possible fatalities at a news conference at 1:30 p.m. A second news conference is scheduled for 3 p.m.
There were 303 passengers and crew members on the plane and


Read more: SFO: Flight from Seoul crashes at SFO; reports coming in on injuries, fatalities - The Denver Post http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...#ixzz2YIxvF8fO
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
http://bangphotos.smugmug.com/photos...21186615-L.jpg

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 07-06-2013 02:58 PM

This is really bad. Weather was all clear.

bpc 07-06-2013 03:02 PM

That does not look good.

theAPAOps5 07-06-2013 04:01 PM

There had to be more than 2 deaths. Unless that fire burned afterward.

theAPAOps5 07-06-2013 04:05 PM

Something mechanical happened. Or it landed way short. This picture is the start of the runway environment right with the bay right before it. Airplane isn't supposed to land on that area with e yellow chevrons.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/ass...ge-gallery.png

KipCorrington25 07-06-2013 04:11 PM

The plane should be fine, most of those scratches will buff right out.

theAPAOps5 07-06-2013 04:12 PM

Just rub some Tussin on it.

07-06-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 (Post 3873971)
There had to be more than 2 deaths. Unless that fire burned afterward.

Fire burned afterward and was slow moving. To me it looks like the pilots misjudged the approach and struck the tail before the runway. There are no visual glide path indicator or instrument glide path indicator on that runway with all the construction. It is a miracle that there weren't more death with a big piece of metal like that.

broncolife 07-06-2013 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 (Post 3873971)
There had to be more than 2 deaths. Unless that fire burned afterward.

.

broncosteven 07-06-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 (Post 3873972)
Something mechanical happened. Or it landed way short. This picture is the start of the runway environment right with the bay right before it. Airplane isn't supposed to land on that area with e yellow chevrons.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/ass...ge-gallery.png

Will be interesting to see what caused them to come in so low, sad that 2 people died.

broncocalijohn 07-06-2013 07:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3874029)
Will be interesting to see what caused them to come in so low, sad that 2 people died.

maybe....

delany 07-06-2013 07:34 PM

Landing at SFO always feels like you will be coming up short.

theAPAOps5 07-06-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 (Post 3873978)
Fire burned afterward and was slow moving. To me it looks like the pilots misjudged the approach and struck the tail before the runway. There are no visual glide path indicator or instrument glide path indicator on that runway with all the construction. It is a miracle that there weren't more death with a big piece of metal like that.

Man only 2 deaths is amazing. Credit goes to the Aircraft Rescue team getting that fire knocked down and passengers out of harms way. I am going to guess the pilot was way to high on the visual approach path and tried to slam it down, but didn't realize they weren't over the runway entirely due to their height.

I am just guessing though. Still shocked there were only 2 deaths.

broncolife 07-06-2013 07:52 PM

Seems Koreans are getting a lot of attention lately. Shootings, N.Korea, Movies, Gangnam style, K-pop, and now plane crashes.

JPPT1974 07-06-2013 08:26 PM

Up to forty people are injured. Two are dead. Thoughts and prayers are with the victims!

07-06-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delany (Post 3874034)
Landing at SFO always feels like you will be coming up short.

WTF? With long runways like they have there?

Drunk Monkey 07-06-2013 10:17 PM

Scary, I sit on a lot of 777. Boeing not having the best safety year as of now.

maven 07-06-2013 10:24 PM

Dang, two people died? RIP

the triple7 is a workhorse machine.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 07-06-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey (Post 3874074)
Scary, I sit on a lot of 777. Boeing not having the best safety year as of now.

777 can fly itself. This was pilot error somehow.

broncosteven 07-07-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 (Post 3874035)
Man only 2 deaths is amazing. Credit goes to the Aircraft Rescue team getting that fire knocked down and passengers out of harms way. I am going to guess the pilot was way to high on the visual approach path and tried to slam it down, but didn't realize they weren't over the runway entirely due to their height.

I am just guessing though. Still shocked there were only 2 deaths.

I heard a witness say that it appeared that the nose was high like they were trying to abort the landing. That leads to speculation that it was pilot error. Don't they have glide path landing lights and radar. SF is the 10th biggest airport they have to have all the "fly by wire" stuff. Maybe something "fly by wire" on based on board failed and they caught it late forcing an abort?

We will know when the NTSB releases the black box recordings.

It is nice to know you can get out of a airplane before it is consumed by fire after a crash landing like that.

broncosteven 07-07-2013 05:40 PM

Also if you look at where they hit they are not lined up down the center of the strip, that could lead to a sudden loss of power which would have caused them to come in low and off center.

More speculation...

07-07-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3874229)
I heard a witness say that it appeared that the nose was high like they were trying to abort the landing. That leads to speculation that it was pilot error. Don't they have glide path landing lights and radar. SF is the 10th biggest airport they have to have all the "fly by wire" stuff. Maybe something "fly by wire" on based on board failed and they caught it late forcing an abort? .

Yes they have radar and no they don't have a PAPI light system. That being said that is no excuse. Your other post about off the centerline where they hit that was the Landing gear which struck the rocks first. This was nothing more than classic pilot error of being high and fast then ending up low and slow.

gyldenlove 07-07-2013 06:33 PM

So far they have determined it came in much slower than it should have and about 5 seconds before impact the pilot jacked the throttle and tried to pull up and abort the landing. I am guessing they were landing manually and misread the approach and throttled back too early, when they realized they were not going to touch down before they ran out of lift they gunned it and tried to go around but stalled it and it came down.

broncosteven 07-07-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyldenlove (Post 3874244)
So far they have determined it came in much slower than it should have and about 5 seconds before impact the pilot jacked the throttle and tried to pull up and abort the landing. I am guessing they were landing manually and misread the approach and throttled back too early, when they realized they were not going to touch down before they ran out of lift they gunned it and tried to go around but stalled it and it came down.

That would be my guess as well.

07-08-2013 07:45 AM

It's disgusting to hear how most of the passengers grabbed their luggage before exiting the plane. This includes roll-ons and the like.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.