The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Should Champ Move To Saftey in 2014 if Asked? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111344)

Bronco Rob 06-30-2013 07:00 AM

Should Champ Move To Saftey in 2014 if Asked?

He's still the Champ. I am not sure why Broncos fans have a problem with cornerback Champ Bailey's play last season. Yeah, he had some problems in the playoff loss to Baltimore, but Bailey also didn't have a lot of help over the top in that game. People are so used to Bailey completely shutting down every receiver that when he lets a play slip, folks think the world is ending. He is slowing down, but Bailey is still better than 90 percent of the cornerbacks in the league. So get off his back.

BroncosMan24, loyal to No. 24

Kiz: Bailey did stink against the Ravens. But, in my book, he is way more Champ than chump. The issue is not whether Bailey will play well at cornerback this season. Count on another invitation to the Pro Bowl. This issue will be Bailey's reaction if the Broncos ask him to move to safety in 2014.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_...ner?source=rss

???

ScottXray 06-30-2013 07:33 AM

If the Broncos ask him to move to safety ( in 2014) it will be because he can help the team more there , than at CB. And that means that we have someone that can take the CB role and fulfill it better ( reasons for this can be multiple...Champ getting older and unable to keep up with WRs for one, or finding a different player with similar or better skill set, or simply needing him to fill a safety spot because we are weaker there and have adequate CBs to take over his position there).

While he is still a very good CB he is getting paid very well, and he must realize that he can't keep that job much longer, especially at his pay . The Broncos will not ask him to move just to cut his pay, although that would be a part of it. He has been a good teammate, but refusing a requested move to a position that would extend his career would not be, and would shorten his time here. 2014 is AFTER this coming season, and should not be unexpected, especially if he declines in coverage any more.

Hopefully we win the bowl this year, and cement his legacy as one of the best. But that window is closing.

rmsanger 06-30-2013 07:44 AM

He's going to retire as we are winning the SB this year.

Rohirrim 06-30-2013 08:10 AM

That's why they brought in QJ.

cmhargrove 06-30-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmsanger (Post 3871485)

I could see us winning the Superbowl, but Champ is a ways away from hanging up the cleats. I think both Elway and Manning also have a significant impact on playing for "legacy" rather than just winning a single Super Bowl. If we win it this year, we would certainly be favorites to repeat the next year as long as Manning is still our QB.

Bronco Yoda 06-30-2013 08:41 AM

I'm concerned with 2013 right now. Let's see how he finishes THIS year before speculating on NEXT year.

06-30-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco Rob (Post 3871476)
He's still the Champ. I am not sure why Broncos fans have a problem with cornerback Champ Bailey's play last season. Yeah, he had some problems in the playoff loss to Baltimore, but

http://thenewsportsguru.com/wp-conte...D_original.gif

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/b.../01/longtd.gif http://blogimages.thescore.com/nfl/f...01/SmithTD.gif

voted "if he wants to make the move" fwiw

06-30-2013 10:20 AM

The question of the poll is interesting when "if asked" is included. That means the FO is asking him to do something. If he says no does that mean he's not a team player? And if the coaches are asking that it kinda hints they see a decline in his game at CB.

Wes Mantooth 06-30-2013 10:40 AM

Dude that first one annoys the piss out of me. That was a blatant offensive PI. No one recovers from that.

06-30-2013 10:45 AM

The video in the middle shows how bad the pass rush was. Flacco just sits there. That first one is just a great play by the reciever. Champ was running to where the ball was going, the reciever just went up and got it early. Bottom is the pure definition of burnt and abused.

06-30-2013 10:53 AM

That bottom video shows 3 broncos around 1 raven reciever. Was that designed or a busted play by the safeties? Seems to me one of them is out of place.

Bronco Rob 06-30-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth (Post 3871522)
Dude that first one annoys the piss out of me. That was a blatant offensive PI. No one recovers from that.

Second one as well was PI.

gunns 06-30-2013 11:49 AM

Whatever works best for the Broncos and I'm sure Champ feels that way too.

Wes Mantooth 06-30-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco Rob (Post 3871535)
Second one as well was PI.

Oh yeah. Apparently you can ram your head into a defenders chest and its not a push off. Lol

ZONA 06-30-2013 01:57 PM

Honestly Champ can still play CB, and very well. Our safety help has been decent at best. Hopefully with a better interior DL, we'll get more tackles made by defensive linemen and we can keep a LB to help with underneath coverage and keep that safety back over the top to help on the longer routes for Champ. He's still got the underneath stuff pretty good. So I think we keep him at CB this year and just keep a safety back all most all the time.

kdissette 06-30-2013 02:06 PM

he had an amazing year and as usual the broncos idiot nation can only remember as long as their last blackout theres not one person on the roster now that can even play half as good as champ at the 1CB position. If you think otherwise please be a raider fan.

errand 06-30-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmsanger (Post 3871485)

^this

He will ride off into the sunset a champion at last......provided he doesn't allow two TD's in a playoff game :)

tsiguy96 06-30-2013 02:19 PM

i am pretty sure that this question has been asked every single year since 2009.

CEH 06-30-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3871526)
That bottom video shows 3 broncos around 1 raven reciever. Was that designed or a busted play by the safeties? Seems to me one of them is out of place.

You're right . Was that our friend Raheem Moore in the short middle instead of having deep middle. Too many Broncos covering the crossing pattern

bronco militia 06-30-2013 02:51 PM

There isn't a player on the roster yet good enough to take champ's spot. I hate the offseason

06-30-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEH (Post 3871608)
You're right . Was that our friend Raheem Moore in the short middle instead of having deep middle. Too many Broncos covering the crossing pattern

Maybe they thought champ was good all alone. Just seems like one is out of place though.

06-30-2013 07:09 PM

Thats well and good that he may play safety one day.. But does he have a thick neck?