The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   DOMA IS DEAD! (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111313)

Conklin 06-26-2013 07:48 AM

DOMA IS DEAD!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/news/sup...140330141.html

Rohirrim 06-26-2013 07:50 AM

Sad day for the mouth-breathers. ;D

Smiling Assassin27 06-26-2013 07:54 AM

The Prop 8 decision (lack of) is the one that effectively ends direct democracy. DOMA was a joke from the beginning, although Clinton will probably be seen today saying something like, 'I KNEW it was bad law and would eventually be overturned, which is why I signed it into law.'

Kaylore 06-26-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 (Post 3868724)
The Prop 8 decision (lack of) is the one that effectively ends direct democracy. DOMA was a joke from the beginning, although Clinton will probably be seen today saying something like, 'I KNEW it was bad law and would eventually be overturned, which is why I signed it into law.'

LOL

Rohirrim 06-26-2013 08:04 AM

Slick Willie never heard a tune he couldn't dance to. Ha!

Mogulseeker 06-26-2013 08:24 AM

Holy ****, when I saw the title, I thought it said "Doom is dead."

Is it wrong that I assumed he whipped out a gun in B-more and got shot up?

As for the legislation... looks like it's the end of marriage and civilization, because as my grandmother says - every great civilization's downfall coincided with the acceptance of homosexuals. /sarc

Garcia Bronco 06-26-2013 08:26 AM

This ruling strikes down section 3 of DOMA. The states can still decide to recognize or not recognize gay marriage, but the Federal Government must recognize these marriages. This is the proper ruling from a states rights perspective. Kennedy seems to think gay americans should be a protected class, which is complete nonsense IMO.

bpc 06-26-2013 08:32 AM

Now switch hitters can go plow their face into some penis legally, anytime they like. Tis a good day for them!

cutthemdown 06-26-2013 08:33 AM

Seems like a good ruling once again proving the conservatives will vote with minds and liberals just tow the line.

SonOfLe-loLang 06-26-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 3868768)
This ruling strikes down section 3 of DOMA. The states can still decide to recognize or not recognize gay marriage, but the Federal Government must recognize these marriages. This is the proper ruling from a states rights perspective. Kennedy seems to think gay americans should be a protected class, which is complete nonsense IMO.

Its incredible how quickly the tide has turned on the opinion of gay marriage. I assume most states will allow it sooner than later.

SonOfLe-loLang 06-26-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3868781)
Seems like a good ruling once again proving the conservatives will vote with minds and liberals just tow the line.

The 4 conservative justices didnt agree with the ruling...what are you talking about?

Tombstone RJ 06-26-2013 08:37 AM

DOMA was flawed from the beginning but as Smiling Assassine points out, it's the Supreme Courts decision to uphold the lower courts overruling on Prop 8 that is the ball buster. On one hand the Supreme Court is saying "It's a state issue" but then they are saying "Unless a federal court doesn't like how a state votes, then we can overrule the people." This does effectively end democracy.

Garcia Bronco 06-26-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3868784)
The 4 conservative justices didnt agree with the ruling...what are you talking about?

On DOMA it was a typical split with Kennedy deciding, but genrally and to Cuts point...the "conservative" justices will sometimes side with the "liberal" justices. Where the "liberal" Justices almost never side with the "conservative" justices.

Kaylore 06-26-2013 08:38 AM

I'm actually a conservative that agreed with this. I think the Federal government should have to recognize the states rights on their respective representations. For me, the gay marriage aspect is peripheral to the broader issue which is how a union is defined at the state level and whether the Feds can choose to ignore that definition based on their own criteria. I think the only way to do it is allow the states to decide and take everything they approve. It's the most democratic way to do so.

Garcia Bronco 06-26-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3868792)
I'm actually a conservative that agreed with this. I think the Federal government should have to recognize the states rights on their respective representations. For me, the gay marriage aspect is peripheral to the broader issue which is how a union is defined at the state level and whether the Feds can choose to ignore that definition based on their own criteria. I think the only way to do it is allow the states to decide and take everything they approve. It's the most democratic way to do so.

Exactly.

This is really a tax case in a number of ways. Had the IRS recognized the female spouse of a woman for estate tax credits this might have never made it to the SCoTUS. IMO these tax credits shouldn't exist, but whatever.

Tombstone RJ 06-26-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3868792)

LOL, what about Prop 8? CA citizens voted to recognize traditional marriage and the federal court in San Fan said 'no' and this was a homosexual judge who struck down Prop 8. Now the SC is saying "that's ok."

Garcia Bronco 06-26-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3868802)
LOL, what about Prop 8? CA citizens voted to recognize traditional marriage and the federal court in San Fan said 'no' and this was a homosexual judge who struck down Prop 8. Now the SC is saying "that's ok."

That's correct. Now I don't know if that overrules the Cally State SC, but it sounds like it does.

SonOfLe-loLang 06-26-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3868802)

Sometimes decency wins out. And, if you recall, Prop 8 had tons of out of state funding behind it, which wasn't exactly kosher either.

To me, the issue of gay marriage is old. The argument is over. The majority of the public agrees with it, and now government is coming around to it.

next.

Archer81 06-26-2013 08:51 AM

http://tinyurl.com/pdng5ge

:Broncos:

Kaylore 06-26-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3868810)
The majority of the public agrees with it
next.

That's not true.

Tombstone RJ 06-26-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3868810)
Sometimes decency wins out. And, if you recall, Prop 8 had tons of out of state funding behind it, which wasn't exactly kosher either.

To me, the issue of gay marriage is old. The argument is over. The majority of the public agrees with it, and now government is coming around to it.

next.

love the liberal answer to democracy--it works only when you vote the way WE want. Otherwise, we will use the courts to force our agenda down your throat.

If Prop 8 was enacted to lock up gays and lesbians and outlaw homosexuality then you would have a point. But it's supporting traditional marriage which in now way harms the homosexual community. The majority of CA voted for it, including real minorities.

Rohirrim 06-26-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3868790)
DOMA was flawed from the beginning but as Smiling Assassine points out, it's the Supreme Courts decision to uphold the lower courts overruling on Prop 8 that is the ball buster. On one hand the Supreme Court is saying "It's a state issue" but then they are saying "Unless a federal court doesn't like how a state votes, then we can overrule the people." This does effectively end democracy.

The basis of our federalism is that the states can dole out more rights than the Constitution provides for, but they cannot restrict any protected rights. The SCOTUS is saying the California statute is unconstitutionally restrictive. That's what they're supposed to do.

SonOfLe-loLang 06-26-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3868820)
love the liberal answer to democracy--it works only when you vote the way WE want. Otherwise, we will use the courts to force our agenda down your throat.

If Prop 8 was enacted to lock up gays and lesbians and outlaw homosexuality then you would have a point. But it's supporting traditional marriage which in now way harms the homosexual community. The majority of CA voted for it, including real minorities.

Obviously it causes some sort of moral harm to them, otherwise they wouldn't give a ****. Get on the right side of history.

SonOfLe-loLang 06-26-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3868817)
That's not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_..._United_States

SonOfLe-loLang 06-26-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3868820)

Stop acting like your rights are infringed upon. We live in a ****ing society, sometimes you have to make sacrifices. And stop making it seem like the conservative side is some bastion of FREEDOMS. See: abortion rights. Seems like you want big government when it pleases you too. And both sides don't seem to mind it when it comes to national security.