The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Wolfe at NFL Rookie Symposium (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111294)

TonyR 06-24-2013 11:27 AM

Wolfe at NFL Rookie Symposium

Quote:

Derek Wolfe was a rookie last year for the Denver Broncos and learned quickly he couldn't trust anybody like he used to.

Wolfe would break up with his girlfriend of five years and fire two financial planners.

He couldn't even rely on a close friend he'd admired since high school.

Wolfe was suspicious of his buddy and left $20 lying on a table to see what would happen. The friend, who Wolfe eventually discovered had a drug problem, pocketed the $20.

"It wasn't that long ago I didn't have a dollar to my name," Wolfe told a room full of first-year players tonight at the start of the 2013 NFL Rookie Symposium. "So don't worry. I'm watching that $20 bill.

"He took it off the table. He didn't say he took it. He had two days to tell me. Never told me. So I had to tell him, 'Hey, man ...' "

Wolfe's story was one of many jolts delivered during a roundtable session that explored common rookie pitfalls and pratfalls.

Wolfe was joined by three other 2012 rookies: St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Michael Brockers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Lavonte David and San Diego Chargers tackle Michael Harris. Ross Tucker, a former Buffalo Bills offensive lineman, was the moderator.

"You have to test women, test your friends, test everybody," Wolfe said to a smattering of applause. "I have to find out if they're real or not.

"Most people will say anything to get in your pocket, man. Everybody has a motive. They either want to be your friend, or they want something from you. You want to be around people who want your friendship and want your time.

"Don't waste your time on people who just want money because it gets ugly."

Wolfe dumped two financial planners because "They were rats," he said. Brockers added he fired his first financial planner, too. David claimed he spent $20,000 on tickets, trying to keep people happy when they called to ask for them.
The rest here:
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-c...eyes-open.html

06-24-2013 12:59 PM

Interesting...but I can't help but think the exponential growth of potential tail played heavily into him ending a 5 year relationship.

TonyR 06-24-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnykbr (Post 3867715)
...but I can't help but think the exponential growth of potential tail played heavily into him ending a 5 year relationship.

Possible, although I'm sure starting football players at major colleges do pretty damn well in this department already.

Mogulseeker 06-24-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3867717)
Possible, although I'm sure starting football players at major colleges do pretty damn well in this department already.

My roomates in college played Div I college basketball. I couldn't believe some of the tail they brought home.

Kaylore 06-24-2013 01:38 PM

"When you're in the kind of business we're in, you just can't trust anybody"

-Walter White AKA "Heisenberg"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ter_White2.jpg

SoCalBronco 06-24-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3867731)
My roomates in college played Div I college basketball. I couldn't believe some of the tail they brought home.

Did you almost get some sloppy seconds Smurf?

Houshyamama 06-24-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco (Post 3867756)

A good friend of mine who's name is actually Phil Collins got some sloppy seconds the first night in the dorms when a drunk girl wandered into his room just after he unpacked. He must of thought, "THIS IS GOING TO BE SO EASY." He didn't get laid for at least another 3 years.

BroncoLifer 06-24-2013 02:25 PM

In the dorms, I lived directly across the hall from a CU football player. A good player, borderline star -- went on to a a seven year NFL career (just checked Wiki). Dude had a chiseled physique (i.e. not a fatty lineman) which made him very popular with the ladies. Girls at all hours. Constant parade of different girls going in his room. Girls knocking on our door to ask if we knew when he'd be home. Girls with hot bods dressed to impress, etc. Girls, girls, girls. Always a smile on his face......

The next year, had a different football player as a next door neighbor who went on to play two years in the NFL. That guy lived like almost like a monk, and from what I could see took advantage of his opportunities only a little more than Tebow. Don't think he was gay, he just was a hell of a lot more quiet and wasn't a lady player.

Moral of the story: Epic amounts of tail are available to college sports stars if they want it. But some don't take advantage, for whatever reason.

Mogulseeker 06-24-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco (Post 3867756)

I got plenty, lol... and it wasn't sloppy seconds... there were 4 of us total, and the three basketball players were usually able to get at least five back to our apartment at Nagel Hall.

Requiem 06-24-2013 03:37 PM

You cannot hide from who you are Methwolfe.

BroncoMan4ever 06-24-2013 03:54 PM

I played 2 seasons of jr college baseball, in a small town and I got more ass than a toilet seat

I can only imagine the amount and quality of women a Div I athlete gets

BroncoMan4ever 06-24-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houshyamama (Post 3867769)
A good friend of mine who's name is actually Phil Collins got some sloppy seconds the first night in the dorms when a drunk girl wandered into his room just after he unpacked. He must of thought, "THIS IS GOING TO BE SO EASY." He didn't get laid for at least another 3 years.

Damn that sucks. Did he just sit in the dorms waiting for another one to fall in his lap or was he just a strikeout king?

06-24-2013 04:27 PM

Derek Wolfe sounds like one of the few players that won't be broke when he's done playing. Dude has a good head on his shoulders.

Houshyamama 06-24-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3867818)
Damn that sucks. Did he just sit in the dorms waiting for another one to fall in his lap or was he just a strikeout king?

We'd be heading a to a party and walk past his room, "Hey Phil, let's go."

"Nah guys, I'm just going to sit right here. And wait."

Actually he was just hopeless with women. Happily married now though, some dudes are just late bloomers.

yerner 06-24-2013 05:03 PM

whining ******...

SportinOne 06-24-2013 05:49 PM

I don't know.. part of this seems smart and part of it seems a bit heartless. he has a longtime friend who has a drug problem and takes 20 dollars off of a table that belonged to Wolfe and Wolfe just basically tells his friend to get f'd? Not cool that his friend took the money but if he's got a serious problem it's not at all the same thing as him just being a scummy person.

BroncoMan4ever 06-24-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportinOne (Post 3867862)
I don't know.. part of this seems smart and part of it seems a bit heartless. he has a longtime friend who has a drug problem and takes 20 dollars off of a table that belonged to Wolfe and Wolfe just basically tells his friend to get f'd? Not cool that his friend took the money but if he's got a serious problem it's not at all the same thing as him just being a scummy person.

There is no excuse for stealing from a friend. Also he didn't know of the drug problem when he tested him with the 20. He was judging character and his friend had poor character. I would do the same **** if I was in Wolfe's situation. Learn who I can and cant trust

Lestat 06-24-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnykbr (Post 3867715)
Interesting...but I can't help but think the exponential growth of potential tail played heavily into him ending a 5 year relationship.

naw, if that was the case you keep the girlfriend and then get some side action.

cmhargrove 06-24-2013 07:26 PM

I really like this kid. He has truly come from nothing and it would be easy to piss it all away. He sounds like he is really appreciating his opportunity and trying to play it smart. It would be awesome if he continues to accelerate his career this year - I really want to root for him.

Mogulseeker 06-24-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhargrove (Post 3867912)
I really like this kid. He has truly come from nothing and it would be easy to piss it all away. He sounds like he is really appreciating his opportunity and trying to play it smart. It would be awesome if he continues to accelerate his career this year - I really want to root for him.

He doesn't take anything for granted and he has a chip on his shoulder. It's a good recipe.

06-24-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3867807)
You cannot hide from who you are Methwolfe.

You know you have become a fan of his!

Double digit sacks this year, watch!

BroncoMan4ever 06-24-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmore Manning (Post 3867914)
You know you have become a fan of his!

Double digit sacks this year, watch!

I get excited at the thought of pressure from the interior DL because Williams and Knighton can hold up blocks allowing Wolfe to penetrate. Von coming from the outside, Wolfe from the interior and if Philips can get 8 sacks in.SD he is in line for a double digit sack total this year.

I'll miss Doom the guy, but honestly believe our pass rush will be more powerful this year.

06-24-2013 09:29 PM

Elway sure knows how to pick. High characters guys with leadership qualities...great standard to go by.

SoCalBronco 06-24-2013 09:36 PM

Glad they didn't ask him to speak at the drug part of the symposium.

Go Methwolfe!

Archer81 06-24-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportinOne (Post 3867862)

It was probably the last straw in a baleful of issues.

:Broncos: