The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Broncos Cap Room and What they do with it (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111262)

Irish Stout 06-19-2013 08:27 AM

Broncos Cap Room and What they do with it

I saw this on Burger Bill's Blog:

AFC West salary-cap checkpoint
June, 19, 2013
JUN 19
8:00
AM ET
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND3TWEET12COMMENTS283EMAILPRINT
At this point of the offseason, salary-cap totals donít mean nearly as much as they did three months ago. But I know there is always interest in cap numbers -- so, thanks to the invaluable John Clayton, I have gotten ahold of the latest figure for each AFC West team:

DENVER BRONCOS

Cap room: $10.6 million

What does it mean? The Broncos can pretty much do what they want. They can easily sign their top draft pick, defensive lineman Sylvester Williams, and add a piece or two as the summer goes on. They could also perhaps give an extension to someone such as Ryan Clady, Demaryius Thomas, Von Miller or Eric Decker.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Cap room: $3.5 million

What does it mean? The Chiefs have had a great offseason, but there is little cap room left. The Chiefs have to sign No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher. They are also reportedly hosting linebacker Desmond Bishop this week. The Chiefs may need to restructure a deal or two to get a little more room.

OAKLAND RAIDERS

Cap room: $7.6 million

What does it mean? The Raiders have yet to sign their first-round draft pick, cornerback D.J. Hayden; their second-round pick, offensive lineman Menelik Watson; or their fourth-round pick, quarterback Tyler Wilson. They can execute those signings and still have some emergency money.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

Cap room: $3.1 million

What does it mean? The Chargers have their entire draft class signed, so they have some decent just-in-case money available.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...cap-checkpoint

A couple of things I find interesting: 1) We have more cap room than the other 3 crappy AFC West teams; 2) we've got enough to add another piece to the puzzle if we want to.

Will the Broncos attempt to sign a high profile player this year?

Looking at this link: http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.ph...ncos&Year=2013

This site seams to indicate the Broncos have a $127M cap hit this year, which is over the 2013 cap of $123M. Can anyone explain the difference in numbers between ESPN and Overthecap.com?

06-19-2013 09:05 AM

Save it for next year and sign Clady, Harris, Decker and Woodyard.

Raider Bill 06-19-2013 09:07 AM

Denver could have had some carry over from last season.

They had a ton the year before which allowed them to sign Manning in the first place.

baja 06-19-2013 09:08 AM

Best to sign Clady this year.

06-19-2013 09:33 AM

Great to know we have money to spend. At this point, I dont think the Broncos are going after any FA save injuries. Most if not all this money goes to resigning our own players. I hope to god Clady gets a deal soon.

yerner 06-19-2013 09:37 AM

Does this mean Kuper will be around? I love the idea of having offensive line depth?

06-19-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerner (Post 3864726)
Does this mean Kuper will be around? I love the idea of having offensive line depth?

You can draft a player in the 2nd or 3rd round for depth. You don't have to pay that player $6 million a year.

I do not there there are any cap advantages in cutting Kuper this year though.

He could be in trouble next year though.

Requiem 06-19-2013 09:39 AM

There is no reason to get rid of Kuper when you are 10 million dollars under the cap and the fact that people like Mays, Caldwell and other veterans who will be replaced by players with less cap # won't be on our final roster.

Irish Stout 06-19-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3864728)
There is no reason to get rid of Kuper when you are 10 million dollars under the cap and the fact that people like Mays, Caldwell and other veterans who will be replaced by players with less cap # won't be on our final roster.

Excellent point.

So all extra cap room rolls over next year? So if the NFL has the cap at the same amount - $123M next year, we'd be able to spend $133+?

I'd like to learn more about the intricacies of the cap in terms of roll over and allowable deferment and such.

eddie mac 06-19-2013 10:22 AM

They'll need some of it for Dan Koppen cos Walton's out for the season apparently. Further ankle surgery required.

TonyR 06-19-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3864727)
I do not there there are any cap advantages in cutting Kuper this year though.

$4.5 million cash savings, $2.7 cap savings, if cut.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/chris-kuper/

06-19-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3864777)
$4.5 million cash savings, $2.7 cap savings, if cut.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/chris-kuper/

oh, more than i thought. Thanks.

Baba Booey 06-19-2013 10:42 AM

Hysterical that we have the most cap space in the division

Raider Bill 06-19-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba Booey (Post 3864791)
Hysterical that we have the most cap space in the division

In the Raiders case it is because McKenzie wisely pulled the band aid off all at once rather than compound bad contracts by restructuring and extending them out.

Next season we will have something like 60 million in cap room.

BroncoMan4ever 06-19-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Bill (Post 3864802)
In the Raiders case it is because McKenzie wisely pulled the band aid off all at once rather than compound bad contracts by restructuring and extending them out.

Next season we will have something like 60 million in cap room.

Which washed up or never been QB will you guys give a massive chunk of that cap room?

06-19-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3864861)
Which washed up or never been QB will you guys give a massive chunk of that cap room?

They almost certainly use their top 5 pick next year to draft a QB.

Swedish Extrovert 06-19-2013 03:17 PM

Given the players that will be FA/eligible for renegotiation, our focus should be on resigning Clady/Thomas/Decker/Harris/Woodyard/Miller.

06-19-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3865169)
Given the players that will be FA/eligible for renegotiation, our focus should be on resigning Clady/Thomas/Decker/Harris/Woodyard/Miller.

Clady, Thomas, and Miller most of all.

Swedish Extrovert 06-19-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agamemnon (Post 3865172)
Clady, Thomas, and Miller most of all.

I agree, but we can't let Harris go.... Wood is also a nice player to have around, although he might be more of a luxury than a necessity. Same goes for Decker.

I have a feeling Decker will be on another team next year. Would love to keep hi, but someone will over pay for him.

Personally, I'd prefer to sign all of them.

Edit - Von isn't a free agent this offseason, but he will be eligible for renegotiation, and I don't think a player of his caliber will be satisfied with the $2.5 million he is currently pulling.

Swedish Extrovert 06-19-2013 03:36 PM

I suppose it's a good problem to have - drafting so well the last few years, that we can't retain all our draft picks.

I also suppose Champ will eventually take a pay cut. He's earned what he's making, but I'm sure he'd be willing to reduce his pay in order to keep Wood and Decker around.

FireFly 06-19-2013 04:25 PM

Hopefully we use this years cap room to front load a couple of contract. I'm no cap expert, but perhaps using the space this year to avoid cap troubles down the road would be wise.

Something along the lines of expensive contract early on that gradually decline in value - which is the opposite of what I believe they generally do...

Swedish Extrovert 06-19-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireFly (Post 3865219)
Hopefully we use this years cap room to front load a couple of contract. I'm no cap expert, but perhaps using the space this year to avoid cap troubles down the road would be wise.

Something along the lines of expensive contract early on that gradually decline in value - which is the opposite of what I believe they generally do...

The NFL allows teams to carry over cap space to prevent this type of thing. The Skins lost draft picks last year fro front-loading too many contracts.

mwill07 06-19-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3865220)
The NFL allows teams to carry over cap space to prevent this type of thing. The Skins lost draft picks last year fro front-loading too many contracts.

that was in an uncapped year though. Different scenario now.

Swedish Extrovert 06-19-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwill07 (Post 3865231)
that was in an uncapped year though. Different scenario now.

If that's the case, let's get Clady locked up and frontload the contract THIS year. Make it easier to sign Harris/Decker/Thomas and renegotiate Wood and Von next year.

baja 06-19-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3865236)
If that's the case, let's get Clady locked up and frontload the contract THIS year. Make it easier to sign Harris/Decker/Thomas and renegotiate Wood and Von next year.

The FO has said repeatedly they expect to do that very thing. Most think he will be signed before TC starts.