The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Offensive mascots (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111171)

Mogulseeker 06-08-2013 12:38 AM

Offensive mascots
 
My alma-mater is going through some similar BS as the Redskins.

Evidently, having "Pioneers" as a mascot is offensive to Native Americans.

Among the names they're considering:
The University of Denver Elk
The University of Denver Jackelope
The University of Denver Mountain Climbers

Might not be so bad if the alternatives weren't so horrid.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/c...er-controversy

Jetmeck 06-08-2013 02:28 AM

WTF is this world coming to

Durango 06-08-2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetmeck (Post 3858742)
WTF is this world coming to

No kidding. You're telling me 'Pioneers' is an offensive mascot/nickname. What's worse is that I have a hard time believing DU is even considering changing it. Next you will be hearing 'Packers' is offensive to gays.

elsid13 06-08-2013 05:00 AM

A couple of years ago the NCAA, attempted to force my school to change our name from the tribe. It out of control.

Vegas_Bronco 06-08-2013 06:44 AM

Progressives need something to fight about.

misturanderson 06-08-2013 06:50 AM

If you read the article, it isn't about changing from the pioneers. It's just about how they are trying to find a new mascot, but don't want to bring back Boone. Not sure why Boone is considered even remotely offensive though.

UberBroncoMan 06-08-2013 07:00 AM

Native Americans = the new minority hotness

OBF1 06-08-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetmeck (Post 3858742)
Look what Denver has become

Mile high California

Fixed it for you

HILife 06-08-2013 08:04 AM

I was upset when they baned the chant. It was the only thing that made the school stand out from the others.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YzXH0RczcbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bLeLUYW-yxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BroncoMan4ever 06-08-2013 12:48 PM

What about the DU Fluffy Bunnies and in the NFL the Washington Butterflies? I ****ing hate this.bull**** political correctness in this country. Also who is doing the complaining about these names? Aren't there only like 12 actual indians left? Pretty sure early settlers did a good job taking their land and killing them all.

****ing whiny people and their hurt feelings.

06-08-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3858867)
Also who is doing the complaining about these names? Aren't there only like 12 actual indians left? Pretty sure early settlers did a good job taking their land and killing them all.

there are quite a few actually. a whole bunch have been relegated to living in shanty towns called reservations though so whitey doesn't really co-mingle with a whole lot of them.
between this and the Japan thread, it seems like a couple racists have done a decent job outing themselves.

I think the name/mascot change is dumb, btw.

RhymesayersDU 06-08-2013 01:00 PM

I had not heard of this, I'm glad you said something. I too am a proud Pioneer. This sucks. :(

RhymesayersDU 06-08-2013 01:07 PM

What I don't get about this DU controversy is why the name "Pioneers" can't be kept. To be honest, I don't really care about the Boone mascot specifically. When I went there we had Ruckus the eagle.


If they want to retire Boone for good, fine. But the word "Pioneers" isn't racist at all. Why can't we be the Pioneers?

06-08-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy (Post 3858870)
there are quite a few actually. a whole bunch have been relegated to living in shanty towns called reservations though so whitey doesn't really co-mingle with a whole lot of them.
between this and the Japan thread, it seems like a couple racists have done a decent job outing themselves.

I think the name/mascot change is dumb, btw.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

BroncoSojia 06-08-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3858879)
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Didn't seem like it to me

I'm pretty sure he was being a insensitive, racist a-hole.

Mogulseeker 06-08-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misturanderson (Post 3858760)
If you read the article, it isn't about changing from the pioneers. It's just about how they are trying to find a new mascot, but don't want to bring back Boone. Not sure why Boone is considered even remotely offensive though.

Boone is at the center of the controversy, but they're considering a whole new mascot all together.

06-08-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoSojia (Post 3858886)
Didn't seem like it to me

I'm pretty sure he was being a insensitive, racist a-hole.

Read his 2nd to last sentence. I don't think he was being serious with that one liner.

Doggcow 06-08-2013 02:12 PM

There's a lot of money to be made in publicity. I'm sure it's just some equal rights groups taking advantage of these situations.

Why aren't they changing the Army mascot? Black Knights is offensive to White Knights everywhere.

bombay 06-08-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU (Post 3858876)
What I don't get about this DU controversy is why the name "Pioneers" can't be kept. To be honest, I don't really care about the Boone mascot specifically. When I went there we had Ruckus the eagle.
If they want to retire Boone for good, fine. But the word "Pioneers" isn't racist at all. Why can't we be the Pioneers?


I remember Ruckus, not boone.

Mogulseeker 06-08-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombay (Post 3858903)
I remember Ruckus, not boone.

You probably didn't go to games, then. Otherwise you would have heard the "bring back Boone" chants at every sports match.

bombay 06-08-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3858908)
You probably didn't go to games, then. Otherwise you would have heard the "bring back Boone" chants at every sports match.


Had hockey season tickets for 4 years, still don't recall that. There's a good chance I wasn't paying attention, though.

loborugger 06-08-2013 04:05 PM

At NMSU, there is talk of getting rid of Pistol Pete cuz of the whole gun thing.

misturanderson 06-08-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3858889)
Boone is at the center of the controversy, but they're considering a whole new mascot all together.

Yes. Like their current mascot, a hawk. Though they are still called the pioneers. Nowhere in that article is there any mention of changing the name from Pioneers, just that they want a new mascot because nobody likes the hawk.

bpc 06-08-2013 04:48 PM

Gotta love our liberal society. Pretty soon all animal names will be offlimits or offensive. And things like Pioneers, Patriots, Cowboys, and the like will be deemed too violent and nationalistic of America's violent past, and not a true representation of our diversity, causing idiots on capital hill to damn changing of the name. Remember, "you don't want to be on the wrong side of history, do you?"

Bunch of left wing, liberal wackos. Unfortunately they have usurped control and are running the state of Colorado.

ScottXray 06-08-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3858737)
My alma-mater is going through some similar BS as the Redskins.

Evidently, having "Pioneers" as a mascot is offensive to Native Americans.

Among the names they're considering:
The University of Denver Elk
The University of Denver Jackelope
The University of Denver Mountain Climbers

Might not be so bad if the alternatives weren't so horrid.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/c...er-controversy

How the heck is "Pioneer" offensive to Native Americans? Because they were here First? ( they were present, but the first White man in an area can be a Pioneer whether they are offended or not) . Frankly it is going overboard, and they should read a dictionary as to the meaning of the word.
pi·o·neer

/ˌpīəˈni(ə)r/



Noun


A person who is among the first to explore or settle a new country or area.



Verb


Develop or be the first to use or apply (a new method, area of knowledge, or activity).



Synonyms


pathfinder - initiator - trailblazer


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.