The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Nalen to the Ring of Fame (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111036)

DomCasual 05-22-2013 04:01 PM

Nalen to the Ring of Fame

He's probably in serious consideration for the Hall of Fame, if he plays on the east coast.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...edium=facebook

Tom Nalen elected to Denver Broncos' Ring of Fame as its 24th member
Posted: 05/22/2013 02:21:36 PM MDT
Updated: 05/22/2013 04:08:08 PM MDT
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

The player who former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan once called "an absolute warrior, one of the toughest guys I've ever been around" will take his place among the franchise's greatest players during the upcoming season.

Center Tom Nalen, who played 14 seasons with the Broncos, including the team's back-to-back Super Bowl victories, was elected to the team's Ring of Fame on Wednesday. Nalen will be the 24th former player, coach or team official in the Ring of Fame.

The ceremony will be at halftime of the Broncos' Sept. 29 game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

Read more: Tom Nalen elected to Denver Broncos' Ring of Fame as its 24th member - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2U46oq5fp
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

05-22-2013 04:04 PM

A Practice Squad player that was actually cut, good for him.

SimonFletcher73 05-22-2013 04:26 PM

Huge part of Super Bowl teams. Deserving. Simon Fletcher snubbed once again.

fontaine 05-22-2013 04:29 PM

Tom Nalen is one of my favorite top three centers since I started watching.

The list goes as follows:

1. Tom Nalen

2. Tom Nalen

3. Tom Nalen

:)

delany 05-22-2013 04:48 PM

Nails!!!!! Congrats!

05-22-2013 04:51 PM

Well deserved. Not many centers make the HoF so I won't get too bent out of shape if he doesn't.

baja 05-22-2013 04:53 PM

Without looking it up name the players from those SB teams in the Ring of Fame.

ludo21 05-22-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3851230)

sharpe, rod, elways, td, nalen soon, and more im sure

baja 05-22-2013 04:56 PM

Zim

extralife 05-22-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3851230)

Elway, TD, Sharpe, Atwater, Rod Smith, Zimmerman if he counts, now Nalen. Is Elam in the RoF? Can't remember.

DomCasual 05-22-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extralife (Post 3851238)
Elway, TD, Sharpe, Atwater, Rod Smith, Zimmerman if he counts, now Nalen. Is Elam in the RoF? Can't remember.

I'm sure he will be. He isn't eligible until 2015. Elway was the only one they waived the 5-year wait rule for.

DomCasual 05-22-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonFletcher73 (Post 3851214)
Huge part of Super Bowl teams. Deserving. Simon Fletcher snubbed once again.

I agree. He should be in. Rick Upchurch, too.

I never really thought Craig Morton should have been in, to be honest. He spent most of his career with Dallas. He barely threw for 10,000 yards with the Broncos. He was obviously instrumental in getting us to our first Super Bowl.

But if you look at guys like Fletcher and Upchurch, who spent their entire careers with the Broncos, it's hard to argue for a guy who spent basically five years here.

Although I am not old enough to have seen them play, you could probably make the same argument for Charley Johnson and Frank Tripucka. It's a testament to how sorry a team we had through the mid-70's that those guys are considered "great." Heck, Tripucka threw for 7,600 yards in his entire career here. Granted, that was a different time. But he also lost twice as many games here as he won. I think he has some AFL milestones (I had to look it up - first 3K season, and first TD pass). But the year he threw for 3K+, he also threw 34 INTs (against 24 TDs).

DomCasual 05-22-2013 06:07 PM

One more thing.

Dan Reeves should get in, period. I realize that a lot of his success came from the arm of John Elway, and that many (myself included) feel that he did Elway something of a disservice, for the way he ran the offense while he was here. But he took us to three Super Bowls, and 110 wins. He averaged over 9 wins a season, during that time. And, I know it would be a big honor for him - I don't think he's ever felt well about how he's appreciated here.

Shanahan needs to get in, too - when he's eligible.

And if we're talking about coaches, I wouldn't have any problem with Joe Collier getting in.

TheReverend 05-22-2013 06:14 PM

A well-deserved honor.

extralife 05-22-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomCasual (Post 3851266)
One more thing.

Dan Reeves should get in, period.

absolutely agree.

TheReverend 05-22-2013 06:17 PM

I also agree that Reeves should be, but with Elway's organizational presence and power having increased exponentially since he joined the front office, I wouldn't hold my breath on that on.

Ray Finkle 05-22-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3851273)
I also agree that Reeves should be, but with Elway's organizational presence and power having increased exponentially since he joined the front office, I wouldn't hold my breath on that on.

I think his issue with Reeves ended after the Super Bowl victory.

baja 05-22-2013 06:42 PM

i think the ring of fame should be players only

TheReverend 05-22-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Finkle (Post 3851282)
I think his issue with Reeves ended after the Super Bowl victory.

I've buried the hatchet with many a person, but never once threw them a celebratory event afterward.

KipCorrington25 05-22-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3851205)
A Practice Squad player that was actually cut, good for him.

I don't think this is true.

05-22-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomCasual (Post 3851266)
One more thing.

Dan Reeves should get in, period. I realize that a lot of his success came from the arm of John Elway, and that many (myself included) feel that he did Elway something of a disservice, for the way he ran the offense while he was here. But he took us to three Super Bowls, and 110 wins. He averaged over 9 wins a season, during that time. And, I know it would be a big honor for him - I don't think he's ever felt well about how he's appreciated here.

Shanahan needs to get in, too - when he's eligible.

And if we're talking about coaches, I wouldn't have any problem with Joe Collier getting in.

I agree, I think it is a travesty that he is not in already. Dan was coach of the year for Denver, Giants and Falcons. They guy deserves to be in the Broncos HOF. Joe Collier should be in as well. Red Miller....ah, not so much.

05-22-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3851273)

Reeves was at Elway's HOF induction. It just seems it is a different time now and those wounds should be healed.

razorwire77 05-22-2013 08:36 PM

Nalen is one of my top 10 favorite Broncos of all-time. ****ing warrior.

broncocalijohn 05-22-2013 09:33 PM

It will be the fastest Halftime show as Nails won't even say "Thank you" when he receives the award.

SimonFletcher73 05-22-2013 09:45 PM

Reeves should be in for sure. Upchurch before my time. Not sure if these guys burned bridges or what?

I remember Simon Fletcher having a BBQ concession at the old stadium right after he retired. So maybe he wasn't on Bowlen's bad side?

Hard to say. Appears Alzado isn't up their either. Would be interesting to listen in on the induction process. Time is running out on these old players. Would the front office think their induction is an admission of error?