The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PFF: Von Miller has no weaknesses (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110995)

Bronco Rob 05-16-2013 11:26 AM

PFF: Von Miller has no weaknesses

Few players have had the kind of impact entering the league in recent times as Von Miller has had in his first two seasons with the Denver Broncos. Sure, we’ve seen plenty of pass rushers enter the league and play well immediately, but Miller has been an excellent three-down player for the Broncos in both of his seasons and somehow managed to take a giant step forward this year on what was already a stunning rookie season in 2011.

Miller is one of the first of a new breed of linebackers who is helping teams to re-think how they deploy their LBs in a three-down capacity. No longer does a linebacker need to be able to play well in coverage to stay on the field for three downs, with ever more impressive athletes emerging from college they can instead put their hands down in the dirt and rush the passer on third down, offering even greater flexibility to their defense. Miller is not the first, Julian Peterson for one played in a similar role at times in the previous decade and Kamerion Wimbley was doing the same for the Raiders a year before Miller entered the league. However, none have executed this role as well as Miller has in just two years in the league. Simply as a pass rusher Miller might was right up there with the likes of J.J. Watt and Cameron Wake in re-defining what we have come to expect is possible for a pass rusher.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...le-von-miller/

Taco John 05-16-2013 11:34 AM

I feel the same way about Von Miller that I used to feel about Steve Atwater - only better.

I remember each week when I was in school, I'd daydream about how awesome Atwater was, and think about the stuff he did in the last few games, and what he might do in the upcoming game. I don't find myself daydreaming as much when I was in Jr. High and High School, but Von Miller definitely gives me that same sort of excitement about what might happen in the next game.

We haven't had these sort of defensive players in the last decade that bring that sort of anticipation to the next game. This is a great time to be a Broncos fan.

TheReverend 05-16-2013 11:43 AM

Im hopeful someone steps up opposite him. Especially now that we truly have solid interior pressure players.

TheReverend 05-16-2013 11:45 AM

They make a great point about the linebacker position being used so differently. We're in the limbo of a pretty cool evolution that the league last saw in Lawrence Taylors time as teams adapt the position to compensate for a much more wide open league.

Prodigal19 05-16-2013 11:58 AM

They are just saying that his pass rushing ability has no weaknesses, not his overall game. His pass coverage can definitely still use some work.

gyldenlove 05-16-2013 12:00 PM

I don't know that this is necessarily a revolution of the LB position, I see it more as the impact of a few freak athletes who are so beyond what human beings can normally do. The league didn't suddenly explode with short receivers because Welker had all those 100 reception seasons, the defensive tackle position is still dominated by huge guys even though we all saw what kind of havoc Warren Sapp created.

The fact is that there are not that many people in the world who can do the things Miller can do, and same was true of Warren Sapp, and of Michael Vick, and of Champ Bailey, and of Wes Welker, and of Tony Gonzalez. All these outstanding athletes have come in and played their position in a way that requires teams to adjust, but that doesn't mean the league as a whole will suddenly be populated by an army of Champ Baileys or Von Millers or Warren Sapps.

There will be teams looking for these hybrid players who can impact like Miller, but you just don't get guys who can run 4.50 40 yard time at 240 pounds who can also jump like a defensive back and has the pure power to bullrush an offensive tackle.

Rascal 05-16-2013 12:09 PM

Yes, he does have a weakness. His sense of fashion.

cutthemdown 05-16-2013 12:12 PM

So the board likes pro football focus when they talk well of a Bronco? Because when i posted how they ripped on Doom and linked the article the post got a lot of PFF is a joke, they know nothing, their stats don't make sense etc etc.

Rabb 05-16-2013 12:15 PM

Oh he has a weakness alright. Feasting on the blood of opposing QBs.

cutthemdown 05-16-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 3848408)
I feel the same way about Von Miller that I used to feel about Steve Atwater - only better.

I remember each week when I was in school, I'd daydream about how awesome Atwater was, and think about the stuff he did in the last few games, and what he might do in the upcoming game. I don't find myself daydreaming as much when I was in Jr. High and High School, but Von Miller definitely gives me that same sort of excitement about what might happen in the next game.

We haven't had these sort of defensive players in the last decade that bring that sort of anticipation to the next game. This is a great time to be a Broncos fan.

I think with Phillips coming over it frees Del Rio up to unleash Miller. We can have him play SSL in some spots freeing up Miller to move around and pressure the LOS from more spots. I'd like to see more olineman worry about just where Miller is.

gyldenlove 05-16-2013 12:27 PM

His weakness is Cyanide, just a few grams of the stuff could kill him in a matter of seconds.

Jetmeck 05-16-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3848410)
Im hopeful someone steps up opposite him. Especially now that we truly have solid interior pressure players.

Amen, Rev.............

Interior line looks to be great on paper.........who will fill Doom's role............rookie/Phillips I hope.

05-16-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3848426)
So the board likes pro football focus when they talk well of a Bronco? Because when i posted how they ripped on Doom and linked the article the post got a lot of PFF is a joke, they know nothing, their stats don't make sense etc etc.

Yep that is how the board works. He was the right draft pick for sure.

Requiem 05-16-2013 12:46 PM

Mon Viller is great.

broncosteven 05-16-2013 01:16 PM

We knew he had no weaknesses when the Great John Elway used his 2nd pick in the draft to take him.

Kaylore 05-16-2013 01:46 PM

"His greatest weakness is he isn't Patrick Peterson."

-TheRev

Taco John 05-16-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3848521)

-TheRev

The Von Miller hate is starting to get thick in here.

TheReverend 05-16-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3848521)

-TheRev

What started as an innocent podcast joke then swept the nation.

Kaylore 05-16-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3848532)
What started as an innocent podcast joke then swept the nation.

Like wild flowers.

TheReverend 05-16-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3848534)
Like wild flowers.

Or tumblemarijuana

TD4HOF 05-16-2013 03:26 PM

Von's greatest weakness is that he simply doesn't score enough defensive touchdowns. Bust.

05-16-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3848426)

PFF is garbage either way as far as I'm concerned.

Lestat 05-16-2013 05:30 PM

imagine how good Von will be if Wolfe and Sly tear it up.

Mogulseeker 05-16-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3848467)
Mon Viller is great.

Only the third authentic jersey I've ever bought.

91: Elway7 (replica) | 96 Avalanche (nameless replica) 97: Elway7 (repilca), Davis30 (replica) Sharpe84 (replica) | '03 Lynch47 (replica), Forsberg21 (authentic) | '07 Bailey24 (authentic) | '10 Rapids (nameless replica) | '12 Von Miller58 (authentic) ... I'll buy a Seth Jones Avalanche jersey after they draft him.

loborugger 05-16-2013 07:18 PM

Isis Nile disagrees with this statement